Wallets

"I tused to travel regularly to very strange places for work, have seen the best and the worst of society and I still cringe when I see someone let their card get carried away on a tray. not so common now but it still happens. "

Her in the US I have never gone to a restaurant where a waiter has used a table side scanner on a card. Unless its a fast food or pay as you leave setup, all cards are taken and scanned somewhere out of sight. It's like Global Warming, Evolution, and Santa; some one makes money on keeping it the Old Way.

Johnus said:
Her in the US I have never gone to a restaurant where a waiter has used a table side scanner on a card. Unless its a fast food or pay as you leave setup, all cards are taken and scanned somewhere out of sight. It's like Global Warming, Evolution, and Santa; some one makes money on keeping it the Old Way.
Well, that's is another item to add to the list of reasons not to visit the US :D
(I'd probably not even make it out the airport)
Every restaurant place I've been in the EU you either pay at the bar/counter, or they come to you with a wireless terminal and you insert your card.
Shops are similar, except the terminal is wired, but the customer still inserts the card themselves.
(the amount shows up on the terminal, you insert your card, type your PIN and it either shows accepted or refused)
Another one to be careful of is card skimming at ATMs, fairly common practice in big cities (especially ATMs without video-surveillance).
A few interesting articles here: http://consumerist.com/tag/atm-skimmers/

M.

Pitched up today - I was stung £12 odd by customs though (well £4 odd customs, £8 Post Office blatant blackmail fee - which really annoyed me because they dont take card payments at the sorting office its cash only and I was £2 short in cash).
Very nice, very sturdy, and nice to know it will mellow and patinate with use and age.

I nearly ordered one but the postage put me off... Now with customs... Definitely a no go... Put me down for when you tire of it... I'll take it

n1vlo said:
I nearly ordered one but the postage put me off... Now with customs... Definitely a no go... Put me down for when you tire of it... I'll take it
The actual postage is $15 not the $48 the web page tries to charge you, but then you will get lumbered with customs if you are unlucky.
So £31 for the wallet with shipping and then another £12 to get it from the post office.

Untitled by Micrashed, on Flickr

Father Ted said:
Pitched up today - I was stung £12 odd by customs though (well £4 odd customs, £8 Post Office blatant blackmail fee - which really annoyed me because they dont take card payments at the sorting office its cash only and I was £2 short in cash).
Very nice, very sturdy, and nice to know it will mellow and patinate with use and age.

Collected my bi-fold Saddleback wallet from the sorting office today and wow what a quality product; highly amused by the card inside stating that "they'll fight over it when you're dead!"

Total charges for me was £14.56, made up £8.00 for god knows what "handling" by Royal Mail and £6.56 Vat for good old "we're all in this together" George!.

Thanks for the link to Saddleback as I have been looking for a decent quality wallet for ages.

Betsy at Saddleback was also brilliant in helping me decide which one to go for during an online chat and also in sorting out an account for me, along with reduced shipping costs as previously mentioned by you.

Pete

SAINT12661 said:
... £6.56 Vat for good old "we're all in this together" George!.
All in this together my arse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/19/mps-in-line-pay-rise

I took a £7K pay cut three years ago just to stay in a job in the NHS.:icon_mad:

Anyway, glad you like your wallet, did you chat to Valerie? She's ace

I too have a saddleback wallet. Its a great piece of kit that just gets better with age. I've had mine about 3 years now and I see it lasting a lot longer. I used to have a matching moleskine cover but I lost it. :( I was absolutly gutted.

Edit: This thread has just propmeted me to go and look after it a little. Every 6 months or so I take everything out of it and gently clean it. Then i give it a little neatsfoot oil and let it soak in. Once its sat there for a day and absorbed it all, I give it a little bit of fiebings carnauba which gives it a nice matt sheen, brings out the colour, and protects it as my wallets tend to have a rough life. I don't see this wallet lasting me forever, but its already paid for itself so another 10 years will be a bonus...if I don't lose it. :D

Father Ted said:
SAINT12661 said:
... £6.56 Vat for good old "we're all in this together" George!.
All in this together my arse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/19/mps-in-line-pay-rise

I took a £7K pay cut three years ago just to stay in a job in the NHS.:icon_mad:

Anyway, glad you like your wallet, did you chat to Valerie? She's ace

It was Betsy that handled things for me, and then I got a really pleasant follow up e-mail from Valerie.

Pete

Has to have a coin pocket. Without a coin pocket I'd have nowhere for change. The odd £1 coin for a can of coke from the vender at work.

On another note - I never understood people who keep their Oyster card in a separate wallet. Everything has to be together for me, so when I leave my house, the "Phone, Keys, Wallet" check means I have everything and I'm good to go.

Just ordered a "pulp fiction wallet" off Ebay. Its just for keeping my emergency card, cash and drivers cards in wagon. I won't be expecting fanatic quality!

Thanks, been enabled...again! Saddleback ID wallet ordered. I won't have any money to put in it though. Between this forum and the UK Coffee forum I'll be a pauper!

ollie9091 said:
Between this forum and the UK Coffee forum I'll be a pauper!
Tell me about it! I recently had a bout of upgraditis on the espresso front! Claudette at BB helped to scratch that itch and that cost me GBP1,500!

Now I've got the iKon Slant to look forward to ........

If I got rid of computers I'd be a much wealthier (but probably bored) man!

David

David
I know the feeling, however to a lesser amount, I purchased a Cherub in Feb and am now looking to upgrade my grinder. Also joined the DSOL bean subscription and was in London last week and spent too much in Jermyn St.
Good fun though!

FrenchBlade said:
For those buying Sadlebacks, here is an interesting AMA on Reddit:

Interesting stuff, thanks.
Just ordered a matching phone and iPad case for my wallet..... had the wallet a few weeks and am so impressed with how well designed and made it is.
Trying to save up for one of their luggage bits now, it's a bit pricey though!

Back
Top Bottom