Wallets

Been thinking about this type with the smaller removable ID part. Just worried I'd leave it somewhere.!
[attachment=7236]. [attachment=7237]

They're ~20$US

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368125696.863532.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368125696.863532.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 104
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368125714.069203.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368125714.069203.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 103
I use a couple of Osprey wallets and can strongly recommend them. Beautiful leather that only looks better with age. They're not showing any indication of wear or weakness after nearly a year of use.

I've had some fairly expensive wallets in the past that fell apart after 6-12 months. Usually, the leather splits along one of the fold lines. However, the Osprey wallets don't show any sign of this.

https://www.ospreylondon.com/search.php?query=wallet&p=search&x=0&y=0

I've got a slim card wallet for business and a larger one with coin pocket for going out at the weekend. Seems to do the job :)

I went all minimalistic wallet-wise, and I bought a nice titanium wallet from this guy off Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/331414694/omega-compact-solid-titanium-wallet

Now available directly from him: http://www.myfireti.com/

S0WHH1c.jpg

rxaBRUZ.jpg

FoV8Qun.jpg

eQ2OJzq.jpg

Contains everything I need (I've since got rid of a few more cards and use an app which stores the barcodes)

The wallet is very handy, I've also made an elastic band that holds my phone and wallet together, it's all I have on me when I'm out. (+1 front door key and a pack of gum)

M.

Nice but too tight arsed and wage slavey for me. Where's the give when I sit on it in the car and where's the space for bills, receipts, cash and condoms?
It's a pretty thing but reeks of a planned life. :)

Darren said:
Nice but too tight arsed and wage slavey for me. Where's the give when I sit on it in the car and where's the space for bills, receipts, cash and condoms?
Well that's where you're wrong, I don't keep receipts, the cash is in there (20 euros in that pics), and condoms, it's not something I carry around.
(it's not like they're not available every street corner in France 24/7)
I do have my european ID (3rd card from the left) and driving licence, I can board any plane to any place within the EU with just that in my pocket :D
My life is far from planned, I have a job until monday 7:15am to be exact, no car, no loans/mortgage, no wife, no kids, and my passport I lying on my desk as I type.
Even my phone is without contract.
Enough money in the bank to buy a single plane ticket to anywhere in the world, and probably live there for a few months. I could skip the country in a heartbeat. (and wouldn't be the first time)

A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

M.

Dr Rick said:
When I realised the price was per plate rather than wallet I lost interest slightly, but it's a pretty thing.
It is pretty ;) I got in on it on KS as an early backer, so I paid less :p

M.

And for those interested in the "minimalistic" ways:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065501355/smartkey-free-your-pocket

I'm a backer of this one too, and i'll be nice ;)

M.

FrenchBlade said:
Dr Rick said:
When I realised the price was per plate rather than wallet I lost interest slightly, but it's a pretty thing.
It is pretty ;) I got in on it on KS as an early backer, so I paid less :p

M.

And for those interested in the "minimalistic" ways:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065501355/smartkey-free-your-pocket

I'm a backer of this one too, and i'll be nice ;)

M.

They do look good, but out of stock on everything until Late July !

Re: RE: Wallets

FrenchBlade said:
Darren said:
Well that's where you're wrong, I don't keep receipts, the cash is in there (20 euros in that pics), and condoms, it's not something I carry around.
(it's not like they're not available every street corner in France 24/7)
I do have my european ID (3rd card from the left) and driving licence, I can board any plane to any place within the EU with just that in my pocket :D
My life is far from planned, I have a job until monday 7:15am to be exact, no car, no loans/mortgage, no wife, no kids, and my passport I lying on my desk as I type.
Even my phone is without contract.
Enough money in the bank to buy a single plane ticket to anywhere in the world, and probably live there for a few months. I could skip the country in a heartbeat. (and wouldn't be the first time)

A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

M.

Haha! And that ain't a plan? Sounds like a fun plan though.

Darren said:
Likewise only a cad pays for pissy couple of quid items with a card. Notes of the realm are masculine and stylish. Cards make you look like a wage slave with no autonomy and purses/coin pockets make you look as though you haven't any Bollocks.

Well, retailers over here won't agree ... they strongly prefer plastic money (also for small amounts), and almost discourage you from paying cash.

They even ran an ad campaign on national TV to tell people that you should pay small amounts with plastic. The funny thing is that, until a few years ago, they actually have discouraged people from paying small amounts with plastic. Now they are spending big money to change the mindset of the public.

I prefer cash; I like carrying real money.

I only own 3 cards.

Driving Licence
AA Membership
Debit Card

Although I own a wallet, it is starting to feel a bit superfluous now.

Elastic bands are the future.

Not used a wallet for as long as I can remember. I find them uncomfortable in pockets and they really annoy me. I carry my bank card in the jacket pocket, driving license in car and cold hard cash in jeans or trouser pocket. I have some nice wallets, my favourite is a buffallo skin tri fold I got in South Africa. Looks lovely but just too thick and cumbersome.

I use a wallet but over the years but the dwindling need for cash on demand means my wallet is more of a card holder than a money transporter. My current wallet is nearly burst and I have been looking at replacing it with a wallet that is primarily a card wallet but has a pocket or section to put the "just in case" £20 note in.

In browsing about I have noticed many vendors are now promoting RFID blocking wallets for the proximity cards, seems the marketing folk want to convince me that the contactless technology should be blocked and you should take your card out of the wallet to use it. This seems counter intuitive to the selling points of the technology but I don't use the feature anyway, only one card I own has it and I don't carry that one with me.

Is anyone worried about people stealing any data from your bank or credit cards that have (or in the future might have) this technology embedded into it by default?

Audiolab said:
Is anyone worried about people stealing any data from your bank or credit cards that have (or in the future might have) this technology embedded into it by default?
Personally, not really I have 3 cards in my wallet that have RFID/NFC.

A city car rental card.
Public transport card.
Dutch national ID card.

I can't use any of them unless I separate them from the others, the readers can't read them with the others around (interference), so basically they block each other.

Second of all, RFID/NFC needs very close proximity (less than 30mm in ideal conditions). I'm more worried about giving my credit card to the waiter in a restaurant. (which I don't do!) because he/she could skim it in 3 seconds with one of these (ebay), and copy all the data off the card, it can store 3000-8000 card before needing to hook it up to a computer.
Never ever leave your card out of sight, especially at restaurants/bars.

I'm actually looking into buying an RFID lock for my frontdoor, since it's the only key I carry around, and hate it. (you can then get RFID stickers that you just slap to the back of your mobile)

But that's just me ;)

M.

In a previous job we used the technology during a manufacture process to track the builds and stock movements, it worked but my impression of the capabilities was that it great for that kind of tracking where the transmitter and receiver are placed reliably inside the known tolerance for the setup. I had my doubts that it would be useful for consumer grade items and from what you have said that impression formed 10 years ago is still valid.

I tused to travel regularly to very strange places for work, have seen the best and the worst of society and I still cringe when I see someone let their card get carried away on a tray. not so common now but it still happens.

Will pick a wallet I like and save the money for a tin foil hat.

Back
Top Bottom