Wallets

Avionyx said:
FrenchBlade said:
For those buying Sadlebacks, here is an interesting AMA on Reddit:

Interesting stuff, thanks.
Just ordered a matching phone and iPad case for my wallet..... had the wallet a few weeks and am so impressed with how well designed and made it is.
Trying to save up for one of their luggage bits now, it's a bit pricey though!

I started with the medium bifold wallet and then an iPad case. Finally led to a large classic briefcase.........£100 customs charge on top. :icon_sad:

Well the wallet turned up yesterday when I was out. My daughter called to tell me the UPS chap wanted a total of £22.50 made up of £11.50 import/VAT charges and £11UPS handling fee (the wallet was only $48 all in)
I told the UPS chap to leave paperwork and I would deal with it
I called UPS on my return and explained my amazement at the fees. After a brief chat with a lady the duty came down to £7.65 and UPS dropped their fee, to compensate getting it wrong and me being messed around. Very happy, she was most helpful.
A happy ending

The wallet is great and is made with real quality leather, the leather smell is amazing! It is just the right size and will fit in my pocket without being too bulky

There will be one of those on my Christmas list this year. It just looks so user friendly. The bottle opener will amuse my mates very much indeed.

FrenchBlade said:
I went all minimalistic wallet-wise, and I bought a nice titanium wallet from this guy off Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/331414694/omega-compact-solid-titanium-wallet

Now available directly from him: http://www.myfireti.com/

S0WHH1c.jpg

rxaBRUZ.jpg

FoV8Qun.jpg

eQ2OJzq.jpg

Contains everything I need (I've since got rid of a few more cards and use an app which stores the barcodes)

The wallet is very handy, I've also made an elastic band that holds my phone and wallet together, it's all I have on me when I'm out. (+1 front door key and a pack of gum)

M.

I have just started using this old wallet again:

Had it for about 15 years, I seem to rotate my wallets. Got 3 or 4 that I like to use.
Might have another one soon after looking at those Saddleback bifolds. :icon_cheesygrin:

I'm sorry to raise the topic again if this has already been answered but does anyone know where I can buy a kangaroo scrotum pouch in the UK? All that I have seen have prohibitively expensive shipping costs.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

David

davidb said:
I'm sorry to raise the topic again if this has already been answered but does anyone know where I can buy a kangaroo scrotum pouch in the UK? All that I have seen have prohibitively expensive shipping costs.

David

I gt mine of eBay a good few years ago. I am sorry I don't know of anywhere else, I will have a sear later for you though. There was an "Australian Store" in London, not us if they are still around.

There seems to be plenty of Australian sites selling them some around £10 but they don't advise on shipping costs.

Try Australian eBay.

davidb said:

David

Roo Bawbag Shop

I bought one from there recently, couldn't find a UK outlet, didn't see any on ebay. I didn't feel shipping was excessive given it's travelling a fair distance from Australia to get to the UK!
It is softening up nicely with use and you certainly get some odd looks when you are standing at the bar/shop counter and announce" hang on I think I've got the right change in my scrotum!" :icon_razz:

Gingerpose said:
davidb said:

David

Roo Bawbag Shop

I bought one from there recently, couldn't find a UK outlet, didn't see any on ebay. I didn't feel shipping was excessive given it's travelling a fair distance from Australia to get to the UK!
It is softening up nicely with use and you certainly get some odd looks when you are standing at the bar/shop counter and announce" hang on I think I've got the right change in my scrotum!" :icon_razz:

I've had mine for around 8 years may be more. They certainly do soften up and they also take on a deeper colour too. Mine was a lot cheaper than that too.

The stuff you find out on forums is brilliant. Just visited the scrotum gift shop :)
I'm assume this is purely to hold coins and not shaving related?

OK, so reading all these started me thinking that I do not need a big wallet since I do not carry coins and basically all I have is 3-4 cards (credit, debit, ID) and some notes, so a minimal would serve me better.

I like the one FrenchBlade carrys (the aluminium one), the elasticbands as well as the ones which have only 2 slides.

My main concern is that there is a chance for cards to demagnitize if put one over the over without anything between them. Conventional wallets have a slot for each card as a protection, where these "new minimal" ones lack.

Am I being paranoid or is it possible ?
Any experiences anyone ?

undertherazor said:
OK, so reading all these started me thinking that I do not need a big wallet since I do not carry coins and basically all I have is 3-4 cards (credit, debit, ID) and some notes, so a minimal would serve me better.

I like the one FrenchBlade carrys (the aluminium one), the elasticbands as well as the ones which have only 2 slides.

My main concern is that there is a chance for cards to demagnitize if put one over the over without anything between them. Conventional wallets have a slot for each card as a protection, where these "new minimal" ones lack.

Any experiences anyone ?

I just downsized my wallet, I got a Bellroy Note Sleeve which is very nice.

I have always stacked my cards together in individual slots and never had a problem. I now use the Saddleback id wallet for approx 9 cards, no issues at all

Re: RE: Wallets

undertherazor said:

Any experiences anyone ?

Certainly in the UK we tend to not use the Mag Stripe any more so it shouldn't be a problem. Nearly all transactions are Chip and PIN, ie, the card reader reads the little chip on the card, the Mag Stripe is redundant. Same goes for ATMs as well, they all use the chip.
I've never known of a card become demagnetised, and I've worked with Credit Cards for many years so I wouldn't worry about it. You never use the mag stripe, and it will probably still work, if it doesn't no big issue, you card number and expiry date are embossed on the card anyway so can be keyed in manually.

No problem on demagnitisation, never heard of it happening myself.
THe only way to do it is with a heavy magnet, and you need to do several passes over the stripe to do any damage.

Kickstarter has a few very nice minimalistic wallets going at the moment.
(I got my one of there)
I backed another wallet, which I hope I'll get in the next month.

And one I really like, but I can't back everything!

Browse on KS, or search for "wallet", you'll find some nice things!

I'm a big fan of kickstarter, I've backed some other projects too, just like the idea of supporting someones idea ;)

M.

Back
Top Bottom