Which Blade now?

CjH

Ok unlike most of you I don have a nuclear supply of blades, I have about 10 Wilkinson sword blades ( always feel blunt and scrapey to me) left and about 15 Astra Green blades.
I keep checking different blade reviews but can't settle on what blade to try out apart from just getting the Astra Green again. That's my favourite blade of choice at present. I've tried Pol silver, Gillette silver blue, voksod, and one or two others ... Can't remember off hand.

So basically I know I can get some sample
packs but that's not what I'm after. I want to have a choice similar to Astra Green and just buy a. Few packs to see what they are like.

So what are your recommendations?

Some people would say if you've found the one that works for you then stick with it. Not me though! I do enjoy changing things around a bit. Gillette Super Blue are currently my fave : https://bigdealsmart.com/collection...ondon-bridge-double-edge-razor-shaving-blades

but TBH I'd probably go for something like Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum if the Astra works well for you.
https://bigdealsmart.com/collection...e-razor-shaving-blades?variant=39296376209455

*edit* no idea why the Super Blue link is worded as London Bridge. Don't buy London Bridge - I've had some dodgy blades in packs recently!

Last edited:
Reactions: CjH
Some people would say if you've found the one that works for you then stick with it. Not me though! I do enjoy changing things around a bit. Gillette Super Blue are currently my fave : https://bigdealsmart.com/collection...ondon-bridge-double-edge-razor-shaving-blades
but TBH I'd probably go for something like Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum if the Astra works well for you.
https://bigdealsmart.com/collection...e-razor-shaving-blades?variant=39296376209455
Good recommendations from Jester there. I'd also throw Gillette Winner Platinum in to the mix as well.

Ok unlike most of you I don have a nuclear supply of blades, I have about 10 Wilkinson sword blades ( always feel blunt and scrapey to me) left and about 15 Astra Green blades.
I keep checking different blade reviews but can't settle on what blade to try out apart from just getting the Astra Green again. That's my favourite blade of choice at present. I've tried Pol silver, Gillette silver blue, voksod, and one or two others ... Can't remember off hand.

So basically I know I can get some sample
packs but that's not what I'm after. I want to have a choice similar to Astra Green and just buy a. Few packs to see what they are like.

So what are your recommendations?
There is a plethora of good blades available, but not every blade suits every person...YMMV and all that jazz. But I would recommend the following
Gillette: Rubie, Nacet, Minora, 7 O' clock - various flavours, Treet Platinum and Dura Sharp, Voskhod. I would suggest you buy a sample pack and see what suit you and your razor's best, enjoy your quest

Astra SS, Blue packet,are very good blades.
They are food for at least six comfortable shaves.
Derby Platinum are quite good, and inexpensive.
Rapira Latinum Lux are worrh a try.

Some vintage/NOS blades are worth considering too.
English made Wilkinson Sword are very good.
Schick Plus Platinum are very smooth, but are expensive.
PolSilver, in the brown packet are another - if you can get your hands on them at a sensible price.

Ask 100 people for their opinion/recommendation, and you'll get 100 different answers.

@CjH I always found Astra greens to be not especially sharp, but smooth. Nothing wrong with that as sharp can often feel rough or scratchy and blades don't always need to be the most sharp to get a good shave. Comfort is equally as important as sharpness. In the same ballpark, I'd say Sputnik, VOSKHOD and Rapira Platinum Lux. I'd also say Treet Platinum and Lord Classic (green).

@CrazedFandango SuperMax current Super Platinum offerings are really good and way up there as far as I am concerned. Avoiding Russian, the Indian market is filled with some really good producers. Couple of ideas - check out Gillette's Indian offerings, like the Winner Special Platinum (which personally, I think is outsourced) or the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black). Maybe a tad esoteric, but if you can find the Sharp brand 7AM Super Platinum (sometimes branded Hi-Platinum) then I think you'll find that a good blade, too with a tad more bite than SuperMax. Also check out Lord (Egyptian, not Indian) whose Classics are lovely! Silver Star is very sharp, but a super blade. If China is acceptable, then the Super Shave X sold by Connaught are really fly.

@CrazedFandango SuperMax current Super Platinum offerings are really good and way up there as far as I am concerned. Avoiding Russian, the Indian market is filled with some really good producers. Couple of ideas - check out Gillette's Indian offerings, like the Winner Special Platinum (which personally, I think is outsourced) or the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black). Maybe a tad esoteric, but if you can find the Sharp brand 7AM Super Platinum (sometimes branded Hi-Platinum) then I think you'll find that a good blade, too with a tad more bite than SuperMax. Also check out Lord (Egyptian, not Indian) whose Classics are lovely! Silver Star is very sharp, but a super blade. If China is acceptable, then the Super Shave X sold by Connaught are really fly.
That's really helpful - Thank you!

Get yourself a solid sampler pack,
@Boycie83 mentioned razor blade club to me paid about £35 including delivery I think off the top of my head and got about 135+ different blade samples, honestly well worth it

Like few years back saw a YouTuber raving about voskhod de blades and was tempted to buy a few hundred good I didn't fall for the hype as the one I tried in the sampler kit was well below average, of course YMMV

Back
Top Bottom