Which Blade now?

Answers to your two questions:

1) All blades are coated (PTFE) but those with a specifically advertised coating have had more coating types spluttered on (very un-technical description). General rule of thumb is that you'll find the green smoother than the blue but the blue will feel sharper. This is very subjective, however.

2) There are millions of Astra blades in circulation. You can even by towers of them on Amazon. I wouldn't worry about a shortages any time soon. Also worth noting that most Russian blades in the UK have been procured by our vendors prior to the invasion so any boycott of blades only hurts our vendors. A number of them have since taken a stance to not restock Russian made blades when current stocks are sold.

@Shaveguru
I'm just not a impressed with what's going on in Russia so I'm protesting.
I follow a few Russians on youtube so I don't hate them, they can't do anything to stop it but I'm protesting. Maybe I shouldn't but I'm mad at it all, especially taking my grandfather to France to see his d day mates graves. The American Cemetery is something to see and its happening again today with more youngsters being planted in rows. As Forrest Gump said, that's all I want to say about that!

Astra blade was good though. Well was for me.. Right from the start I thought this is good.

I just opened a pack of Super Shave X blades that came as complimentary with a Connaught order.

So far have had 2 very good and very close shaves out of the first blade.

Strangely, it felt very smooth but not very sharp during the shave (like a Derby Extra can do) but afterwards it became apparent that it is a capably sharp blade.

Shall see how many shaves i get out of each blade in the pack, but so far very impressed.

Definitely much smoother than my usual Astra SP.

Ok unlike most of you I don have a nuclear supply of blades, I have about 10 Wilkinson sword blades ( always feel blunt and scrapey to me) left and about 15 Astra Green blades.
I keep checking different blade reviews but can't settle on what blade to try out apart from just getting the Astra Green again. That's my favourite blade of choice at present. I've tried Pol silver, Gillette silver blue, voksod, and one or two others ... Can't remember off hand.

So basically I know I can get some sample
packs but that's not what I'm after. I want to have a choice similar to Astra Green and just buy a. Few packs to see what they are like.

So what are your recommendations?
If you live in the uk and DM me your address I'll send you a selection...... I have a variety of different ones.... sorry just seen this message.

I'm still liking the Astra platinum.
I was looking at some sample packs online at a store but for now I'll stick with the Astra. I think 3 shaves is enough from a blade as I'm not experienced enough to know when I'm heading for trouble. Tried 4 shaves with the Wilkinson blade and that was a mistake but what do I know. That's the problem when starting out. You just don't know how it should all work and when it's going wrong.

3 shaves from one blade is a good benchmark to work to, in my experience. That is based on doing 3 or 4 passes per shave.

After that , many blades will still give a decent shave, but you might well feel the blade dragging a little, rather than slicing through the growth effortlessly, like it did on the first shave.

That's really how you tell if a blade is losing its edge - it will start to progressively drag on the hair as it cuts.

All of this depends on how light or tough your facial hair is, of course.

I'm still liking the Astra platinum.
I was looking at some sample packs online at a store but for now I'll stick with the Astra. I think 3 shaves is enough from a blade as I'm not experienced enough to know when I'm heading for trouble. Tried 4 shaves with the Wilkinson blade and that was a mistake but what do I know. That's the problem when starting out. You just don't know how it should all work and when it's going wrong.
3 uses for me and i’m done.
Some blades feel like they can do more but i just don’t bother.
when i was new i was trying to get 6 shaves out of a blade but it got to the stage i had so many to try & wasn’t getting through them so decided on 3 shaves for every blade.

3 uses for me and i’m done.
Some blades feel like they can do more but i just don’t bother.
when i was new i was trying to get 6 shaves out of a blade but it got to the stage i had so many to try & wasn’t getting through them so decided on 3 shaves for every blade.
May have to start trying this method.... I think I try to get too many shaves out of 1 blade....
I think the most I've had is 10.... But it was getting pretty ropey by then.... Obviously the soap/cream used had a lot to do with comfort.

Back
Top Bottom