Which Blade now?

The drag and catching starts to go on 3rd shave I guess. Could go for more but why bother. Stick a new one in and glide through is what I'm going to do regardless now. Note to self as recommended here

May have to start trying this method.... I think I try to get too many shaves out of 1 blade....
I think the most I've had is 10.... But it was getting pretty ropey by then.... Obviously the soap/cream used had a lot to do with comfort.
Do what suits you mate
i don’t think there’s a right or wrong but using a blunt blade is not enjoyable for me

Do what suits you mate
i don’t think there’s a right or wrong but using a blunt blade is not enjoyable for me

Absolutely, the extension of that thought is that I find it difficult to throw away a blade that is still giving a good shave, I have just stopped using a German Persona which has gone for 10 shaves, it still wasn't blunt but not quite as sharp as Shave #1.

I just opened a pack of Super Shave X blades that came as complimentary with a Connaught order.

So far have had 2 very good and very close shaves out of the first blade.

Strangely, it felt very smooth but not very sharp during the shave (like a Derby Extra can do) but afterwards it became apparent that it is a capably sharp blade.

Shall see how many shaves i get out of each blade in the pack, but so far very impressed.

Definitely much smoother than my usual Astra SP.
3rd shave tonight with same Super Shave X blade, and again a very smooth close shave.

Used my Merkur Progress set to 2.5, same as before. The Progress is quite a noisy shaver and you get to hear what the blade is doing with it.

The Super Shave X is strange - it sounds quite "skritchy" and noisy from the first shave and it makes you think its not working, but it really does slice through the rough stuff.

I'm impressed - its as sharp as my usual Astra SP, but definitely smoother. Will work through the rest of the pack to benchmark it on different skin conditions etc, but might well buy some of these if the rest of the shaves are as good.

I should add a thank you to Paul for including these as a freebie when i purchased the Progress back in Feb this year (y)(y)

I was just reading this sharpologist article which references this refined shave article, talking about blade sharpness and consistency. I found it quite interesting, and I'm tempted to combine information from all of your suggestions with the measurements mentioned in those articles to choose some blades to try. I like the idea of having a relatively consistent blade of a sharpness I find comfortable.
It certainly gives a good baseline, but remember ... sharpness is not the whole story. That, and the differences are like measuring the temperature of various ice cubes - there might well be a difference, but they're all still cold.

I’m not a fan of Astra as like Derby blades they don’t seem sharp enough for me but as always buy as many different blades in 5 packs as you can until you find what YOU like.

Back
Top Bottom