Acquisitions - July 2024

A couple of unbleached Zenith boar brushes from YourShaving.

The last unbleached Zenith boar I bought was a while back and it had some of the most fantastic stiff bristles and the brush kept it's backbone for a really long time. The bristles of this brush seems a bit softer, like with the new unbleached Omegas I've bought over the last few years. I'm not entirely sure why but both companies seem to be using a softer bristle than they used to.

View attachment 122524

Your sensation is quite right actually. Apparently it's all in the source of boar bristles, I have heard from the owner of Omega that unfortunately the type of boar bristle they manage to get their hands on nowadays are not as good as they used to be in the past (however no more details were disclosed so it is hard to say where the issue stand, is it the breed, what they eat, the supplier have changed, who knows). So if you ever happen to get your hands on a NOS boar bristle vintage brush, go for it!

image.jpg

This one had to be tried! The handle is magnificent and I am really intreagued by the head geometry. I have heard it should be a really close one to the LORD S625, which is so far the BEST geometry I have tried on my face! I really hope it is the closest it gets to the lord as we all know lord production quality is miserable (which is a shame considering how well it shaves, at least on my face eheh)

Rolls Imperial No.2 razor made in England which appears to be in good condition apart from a small stain on both sides of the blade. Judging from the signs of use it has been used to strop but not to hone but not really a lot. Actually bought just to see what it's all about and to add to my historical collection and not to shave with. But who knows? The blade is very sharp and I narrowly avoided cutting my thumb. I might well give it some strops after my mink oil has been applied and soaked in and a very careful shave. Variously described by reviewers as the closest to a straight razor we'll get without actually using a staright razor and cut-throat on a stick.
Rolls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom