Acquisitions - July 2024

More samples from Connaught… soap this time. Some excellent (and varied) scents. Can’t wait to get going on them except I don’t even need a shave today.
The big tub is NSS Moroccan Sands. Couldn’t resist adding it in, always liked Nanny’s soaps. This is the traditional version (with tallow). Smells like Occitaine Cade to me, but I’ll have to do a direct comparison. Lovely.

IMG_0221.jpeg

Just ordered this bad boy but it won’t be here for a while as it’s coming from Australia.
Hopefully it gets here in one piece.
My favourite vintage is a Superspeed.
Namely the 1958 Gillette TV Special and since iv had it it’s been my goal to get the
1954 TV Special.
It’s a difficult Razor to get in fact this one is NOS never been used with the instruction booklet & Blade carrier still wrapped. so once i seen it i just had to have it.
Saying that iv never seen one for sale before and just as i bought this one i seen another on sale in the states.
It’s always the same, Both in great condition but this one being brand new was the boy for me.
Ultimately its just a superspeed but a classic at that.

IMG_2178.png
IMG_2179.pngIMG_2180.pngIMG_2181.pngIMG_2182.png

Romulus.jpg

Yaqi Romulus polished stainless steel AC blade razor shown in the photo alongside my Yaqi Excalibur matt chrome razor. The Romulus is generally reviewed as an Excalibur upgrade. But even a cursory comparison shows the Romulus to be a different razor with larger slots and a very slightly narrower head.. Still with the slotted screw though. Arrived simply packaged wrapped in thin paper in a small box which is letterbox friendly. Also included is an unbranded AC blade but my experience with the free blade which came with the Excalibur tells me to throw that blade and use my Kai Captain Titan Mild instead. (Yaqi Factory Store on Aliexpress.)

View attachment 123293

Yaqi Romulus polished stainless steel AC blade razor shown in the photo alongside my Yaqi Excalibur matt chrome razor. The Romulus is generally reviewed as an Excalibur upgrade. But even a cursory comparison shows the Romulus to be a different razor with larger slots and a very slightly narrower head.. Still with the slotted screw though. Arrived simply packaged wrapped in thin paper in a small box which is letterbox friendly. Also included is an unbranded AC blade but my experience with the free blade which came with the Excalibur tells me to throw that blade and use my Kai Captain Titan Mild instead. (Yaqi Factory Store on Aliexpress.)
I would be interested in how different you find them both in terms of the shave itself and the length of time before the stubble returns.

I would be interested in how different you find them both in terms of the shave itself and the length of time before the stubble returns.
Thanks for your reply. I'll be starting to use the Romulus tomorrow morning so probably by Wednesday next week I'll have that comparison to post in SOTD. I've already used the Excalibur and all I can say so far is it's going to be hard to beat, We'll see.

on holiday in Alexandria , Egypt so as with everywhere, keeping a look out for local shaving goodies. I think these three were the equivalent of £1.50. the lord emofresh cream was only about 24p.

PXL_20240730_085549445~3.jpg

gave them a try and both creams had very weak scent but performance was good. the Ingram had a hint of scent that reminded me of the british one. it was also slightly runny so will try less water next time. not much menthol feeling in them either.

the aftershave has a nice strong vanilla scent that I really like. it seems little too sickly sweet cloying for this hot weather at first but the powdery dry down is nice and I think it'll be really nice to use at home in the winter.

I haven't seen blades or razors yet but from looking online, a lord premium razor is about 75p currently so hoping I find some more souvenirs.

drove by the lord factory and on a morning walk, I saw what looked like their offices maybe? unless that's just a billboard advertising lord. there's loads of those.

PXL_20240730_025204684~4.jpg

It's exceedingly good. It has virtually every soothing ingredient that you can add. It's probably more soothing than Speick or Proraso Green. It has a great scent too.

Head notes: cedar, Calabrian bergamot, lemon. Heart notes: orange flowers, cedar, ginger. Base notes: vetiver, cedar wood, musky notes.

Ingredients: Alcohol Denat, Hamamelis Virginiana, Parfum (Fragrance), Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Bisabolol, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice), Allantoine (Allantoin), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate.

Back
Top Bottom