Acquisitions - July 2024

Your sensation is quite right actually. Apparently it's all in the source of boar bristles, I have heard from the owner of Omega that unfortunately the type of boar bristle they manage to get their hands on nowadays are not as good as they used to be in the past (however no more details were disclosed so it is hard to say where the issue stand, is it the breed, what they eat, the supplier have changed, who knows). So if you ever happen to get your hands on a NOS boar bristle vintage brush, go for it!

Wow, turns out my fears were grounded then. I've used these new boars a bit more and they are ok, but they are nowhere as special as the older ones. I might try to pick up a few NOS ones but otherwise I think it's an excuse to carry on shifting to synthetic brushes.

Last edited:
Wow, turns out my fears were grounded then. I've used these new boars a bit more and they are ok, but they are nowhere as special as the older ones. I might try to pick up a few NOS ones but otherwise I think it's an excuse to carry on shifting to synthetic brushes.
that is in fact the business plan of Omega, focusing all their production efforts on developing and pushing the boundaries of synthetic bristles/brushes (as you might have noticed with the EVO and the latest additions GT series and vintage ones, to not mention the Colosseum and Lupa which are great synthetics for their price tag). However, and this is entirely my personal experience, I don't like the feel of synthetic on the face and much prefer animal bristles (sorry vegans out there )

Can’t resist a bargain. View attachment 123013

Neat!

I have this brush (and the original Infinity INF1). This one will flair out nicely with a few uses and is nowhere near as springy. Face-feel is not super-soft, but there absolutely a place for that and as a face-latherer I particularly like a good scrubber! Fnar!

Have fun.

... mine, now showing a little splay.

AP1GczPAZwqGxKTgdU0O6b5SHGr02OM29bkB9H2VoLM7Snj610Q7c8Wy6TWmVXcKLx1xkPFVyMJY95tB5zQs4QnrNkjsnKvl-tbRGOeDUztqA4KWChnFHW8ca2vPcho6BKafIVFvx5HzID1PXllfXU8k4TltTA=w600

A new Omega 10029 from Maguires Barbershop via eBay

Here is what the brush looked like out of the box.

IMG20240724134259.jpg

IMG20240724134306.jpg

The brush has a 24mm wide knot, and a 50mm loft, 10mm glue bump, and the brush dry seemed to feel pretty good, I was hopeful this brush might be a good one in the shave and gave it a soak and test lather.

Here are a few pictures after.

IMG20240724164301.jpg
IMG20240724164249.jpg

It was ok, but I knew from the test lather it won't be the stiff scrubby little monster with a lot of backbone. With that, I have the definite realisation, Omega and Zenith brushes are now using bristles that are much softer than the ones from a few years back.

I will use the ones I already have, but I won't buy any more boar brushes from these brands again.

A new Omega 10029 from Maguires Barbershop via eBay

Here is what the brush looked like out of the box.

View attachment 123051

View attachment 123052

The brush has a 24mm wide knot, and a 50mm loft, 10mm glue bump, and the brush dry seemed to feel pretty good, I was hopeful this brush might be a good one in the shave and gave it a soak and test lather.

Here are a few pictures after.

View attachment 123054
View attachment 123053

It was ok, but I knew from the test lather it won't be the stiff scrubby little monster with a lot of backbone. With that, I have the definite realisation, Omega and Zenith brushes are now using bristles that are much softer than the ones from a few years back.

I will use the ones I already have, but I won't buy any more boar brushes from these brands again.

That's a shame...

Thursday 25 July
Today, a new acquisition of a vintage razor. It’s a British made Clemak, Brit Pat. 532/08, Hoe type razor of the era, probably 100 years old. It looked a bit a bit sad when I got it quite cheaply off EBay but its silver plating cleaned up really well. The handle has a removable piece which after turning around and fitting to the handle thread end can be used to hone a blade. The razor now takes a modern GEM blade no problem.
Black Mountain Pizgah soap applied with a vintage badger provided a good layer of lather before the hoe /GEM combo executed a bbs finish in two passes and pick ups.
I love vintage razors, sustainable items to use for more years.
Have a fine day fellas!

IMG_0727.jpeg

Are you in the UK Sabre? There's some Mondial aftershaves I'd like but I just assumed anything alcohol-based was banned from coming in to the country now...

Lovely looking haul anyway!!
Thanks. I am indeed in the UK. I have quite a few Mondial aftershaves and EDT's/fragrances. I have been very lucky on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom