Acquisitions - July 2024

A couple of unbleached Zenith boar brushes from YourShaving.

The last unbleached Zenith boar I bought was a while back and it had some of the most fantastic stiff bristles and the brush kept it's backbone for a really long time. The bristles of this brush seems a bit softer, like with the new unbleached Omegas I've bought over the last few years. I'm not entirely sure why but both companies seem to be using a softer bristle than they used to.

Zenith Boars.jpg

Ooh!

AP1GczO3vklfMonQyKuxolZj0sYfFkByy2MKHcvBfIUVA_cLPgkSkol1htDjY6ysCKW8un8-7debcN_xsP54HqbaYyy0VJ2NvQ1JQMyUCcysEjpyX6Jvw86xXVB4WsAi0_A1xkVs_-p1fvV20fyORmB9_Y18DQ=w1200

Much thanks to @donnie_arko for spotting this and letting me know.

It's a 1950s British Tech which has been modified as an open comb for the Nacet brand.

Aside from the open comb, there are a few other material differences to the regular thin handle Tech. First is that the thin handle is ... well, thinner. Thinner and heavier - like 32g versus 16g.

AP1GczOPoEan_a-VBAl-IiVAfz9f5fCSr7DL8EW-yGkPs2llVIkGnoxq8MSvVNkznzZpzAkHLQpbyhHUMNPRO19LC4M5wPC6DjzMqApSihz-Saga6fGs-WPFLwjFJMjy3lDynfRjt2PmLTlbocfRk-umwrT2_Q=w1200

Twin-bar top cap, but notice the slanting?

AP1GczMjLJiJJF-cW1Pd8xfymAF8u4hn09DMi3RMFWg1XZcaPrZw06W4-MRN9NMV_bbM2FLdi4FXu9YadB3hrJDSi2rw6MQPZaazMMTTzxpfTm7KDt7_g8Gp8HJSLn8exvN_IyTFT2Yrl5UzLv2pkPrHwI1f_A=w1200

Also, the back of the case has a standout surround rather than a flat profile as per other such cases.

IMG_0433_Aquis.jpg
Two razor additions this month:
Shave Classic injector razor imported from America via USA Amazon which takes Schick Yellow pack injector blades and appears to be a clone of the L1. Mixed reviews on USA Amazon and the review on Sharpologist simply says they don't recommend it. One wonders whether they have actually used one. (Total £33.00).
DLC-Yaqi Excalibur for which I was recommended Kai Captain Titan Mild AC blades for first-time use. The razor arrived with an unbranded AC blade which I'll try first. (Total £23 from Yaqi Factory Store on Aliexpress)
Only one razor to add next month and that will be a Gem and I'll probably go classic from ebay. Any advice is welcome.

83BEA940-8E60-441F-85AB-A626A32B9D29.jpeg

During tech-junkies time I was using my little store of Tech’s, but the issue I always have with them is that as they only have a centre post, if my tremors are bad I can’t hold the blade still long enough to get the baseplate and handle in place. Then on the bay I came across this PAL razor which not only looks like a tech but actually shave quite similarly too. Apparently they were the American Safety Razor Co’s answer to the Tech and were made between 1946 and the early sixties being sold in the USA and Europe as Star, PAL, Personna and maybe Ever Ready.
All the pics I have found of them show a rather nice handle, a bit like a mini Rex one, but mine has what looks like a Gillette style aluminium ball-end handle, although it is a bit longer and fatter than the one on my French Tech. Maybe a replacement or they copied Gillette at some point. Whatever, I really like the razor and as it has three posts to hold the blade steady, it’s easier for me to use, not quite as good as my Merkur/Muhle two piece razors, but ok.
One of the threads I found about these razors was by the very knowledgeable @pjgh of this very forum, so perhaps he might have some insights he might share?

My other recent purchase is, of course, another brush (do I need one, no, why have I got another, dunno, because!)

B523D7F8-3230-43D8-8DA1-746B4EBF600B.jpeg

I was intrigued by the new-ish Muhle/Jagger/Nom ‘noir’ knots, but was not impressed by the accompanying price tags (although the Nom came close as you can order it from Superdrug for about £15) but then I saw this Yaqi 20mm for £6 including delivery, and I had to make it mine!

2829C59F-EFBC-4E8E-8F75-D16B844BD64C.jpeg

To give it some size context here it is next to my Kent Infinity (and it fits in the same brush holder so that’s handy!)
Will try it with my next SOTD.

Last edited:
View attachment 122558

During tech-junkies time I was using my little store of Tech’s, but the issue I always have with them is that as they only have a centre post, if my tremors are bad I can’t hold the blade still long enough to get the baseplate and handle in place. Then on the bay I came across this PAL razor which not only looks like a tech but actually shave quite similarly too. Apparently they were the American Safety Razor Co’s answer to the Tech and were made between 1946 and the early sixties being sold in the USA and Europe as Star, PAL, Personna and maybe Ever Ready.
All the pics I have found of them show a rather nice handle, a bit like a mini Rex one, but mine has what looks like a Gillette style aluminium ball-end handle, although it is a bit longer and fatter than the one on my French Tech. Maybe a replacement or they copied Gillette at some point. Whatever, I really like the razor and as it has three posts to hold the blade steady, it’s easier for me to use, not quite as good as my Merkur/Muhle two piece razors, but ok.
One of the threads I found about these razors was by the very knowledgeable @pjgh of this very forum, so perhaps he might have some insights he might share?
Hi! Good catch! They're smashing shavers aren't they?

Yes, yours is on a Gillette Tech handle. No worries - it suits it well.

Spent a few days in Portugal for work.
Didn't get a chance to do any proper shopping but I managed to pick up a few things.

1000040988.jpg

The Denim shave cream was picked up from an little convenience store and the rest from a Boots type shop.

Total cost was about €12.

Only used the Denim so far. It's usable.
Got high hopes for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom