SOTD: Saturday 17 - Friday 23 August 2024.

20/08/24
Tabac Tuesday
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap Fig and Jasmine
Brush - Semogue SOC BTS Boar
Soap - Tabac
Razor - Blackland Sabre
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Vintage Tabac "Black" Balm
A/S - Tabac EDC
Wk 34 (4).jpg
The Original Sabre never lets me down, it always takes that harness away from a new blade.
3 passes today for a very smooth, BBS finish followed up with a wonderful post shave routine, the vintage balm is not as heavy as some newer balms and is absorbed very quickly, a little indication from the splash telling me that i have just about had as close a shave as i like without going too deep.
This razor has been my favourite GEM Blade razor since i bought it direct when it came out, i had no need to try any of the other new GEM style razors. I am now waiting for its successor, can it really be any better? Only time will tell, i really am looking forward to it turning up.
Enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
Razor: Valet Auto Strop
Blade: Valet
Soap: Mitchells
Brush: Old Horse Hair
A/S : Clubman Bay Rum
This was Sundays Shave 18/8/2024
View attachment 124124
By the way here's the Sunday saga.
On Sunday Morning I thought I haven't used a Valet Auto for a while so I Stropped the blade.
With the Valet Strop (the same blade I have used many times) did the shower thing
and went through the routine that's were things went south!
Reason 1 poorly stropped blade.
Reason 2 poor technique
Reason 3 lack of use
So after struggling on with the grain and nicking myself 5 times I give in.
Washed up threw on the clubman to stop my face stinging and that was that.
You can see in the pics the blade is like a knife edge. ( never looked closely at the old straights I had to compare)
And never used one.
I will defiantly have to get some practice up as the Valet mostly gave me a good shave. (And dig out a fresh blade)
Cheers

The blade dropped off quite quickly but it was still an acceptable shave, and nice to dig out the aftershave again. Long lasting fragrance on this one.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Gillette Winner Platinum
Brush: Men Rock Unknown. Probably synthetic
Lather: Stirling Sweet Stuff
Aftershave: Crossmen Original

EDIT: an hour later the wife saw me and when I shared some lunch with her she started coughing and said the aftershave is too strong.
I think it is a ploy to keep me away as long as possible so my rating remains the same.

Last edited:
Razor - Gillette Tech
Blade - Gillette SharpEdge
Brush - ES Medium Synthetic
Lather - MWF

Delightful razor, the Tech. But it is only my third go with it and I usually use a Rockwell. Three passes produced a very nice shave, but not quite there (almost). If I used it all the time it could easily be my number 1. It would make a great travel razor… but that’s maybe being size-ist.

Lovely to lather up with MWF after experimenting with soap samples. The whole experience was old school… and none the worse for it.

IMG_0247.jpeg

Ya they are asking $12 to $15 AU a stick unless the price has gone up
Something of interest.
Hope this is some use to you.
Regards- Barry.

Tuesday 20 August

The Occam’s razor design team don’t do things by half, first there was the Oren with its quirky blade loading procedure and then the Enoch with the 2 piece head connected by a dovetail joint. Let’s not keep it simple folks! Which is somewhat counter to the philosophical Occam’s Razor which says that if you have two competing ideas to explain the same thing you should prefer the simpler one.
So the shave, thanks for asking, it was fine, bbs in two passes and still using the Pro Guard x7. The Blas de Lezo is one of the 3 Jaserro artisanal soaps that I have and they are all excellent.

Have a great day fellas!

View attachment 124147

Well if you are going to be crap, you may as well be totally crap. I should know

Tue 20th August

Aleppo soap- Shave pre wash
RR 400 - SE Plissoft noir
MWF
RR Hawk V3
Schick Proline ( 2 )
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

Spent some time trying to get through to Medical Support team, but blocked by Unhelpful Call centre. Tried again and was put through to Team receptionist who confirmed correspondence from Consultant had been recieved.
After a frustrating hour or so, it was nice to have a very pleasant Shave with the Hawk as the relatively fresh blade made short work of 3 days growth.

IMG_0413.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom