6 Nations 2013

Do you not think, Rob, that psychology at individual and team level plays an important part in rugby. I'm very much with Clive about this and cite his 2003 success. Of course national characteristics make a lot of difference in the way a player and team approach a match.

Look at the differing attitudes displayed by the born-and-bred English - like Toby Flood - compared to the players raised elsewhere - like Manu Tuilagi (I watch Tigers in the team more critically than others). Toby may have had an off day but I have never seen him play like that in a Tigers shirt and conclude that he thought he was in an easy fixture. Anyone can beat the Italians, after all!!!!! I loved thhe heart they put into the game.

Bechet45 said:
Do you not think, Rob, that psychology at individual and team level plays an important part in rugby. I'm very much with Clive about this and cite his 2003 success. Of course national characteristics make a lot of difference in the way a player and team approach a match.

Look at the differing attitudes displayed by the born-and-bred English - like Toby Flood - compared to the players raised elsewhere - like Manu Tuilagi (I watch Tigers in the team more critically than others). Toby may have had an off day but I have never seen him play like that in a Tigers shirt and conclude that he thought he was in an easy fixture. Anyone can beat the Italians, after all!!!!! I loved thhe heart they put into the game.

Carl my friend don't worry about Toby Flood I've just been told you've signed for next season an oustanding 21 year old Welsh outside half Owen Williams from the Llanelli Scarlets, I've heard they are really pissed off about losing him, I've seen him play a few times he's a fantastic prospect. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21726391

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
Carl my friend don't worry about Toby Flood I've just been told you've signed for next season an oustanding 21 year old Welsh outside half Owen Williams from the Llanelli Scarlets, I've heard they are really pissed off about losing him, I've seen him play a few times he's a fantastic prospect. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21726391

Jamie

It's true that we like to get them young - mess with their heads more easily and imbue a Tigers way of thinking and playing. We'll look after him for you - or spit him out if he doesn't shape up (I seem to remember another great Welsh player coming to England - didn't seem to fit in at all, at all!). Still, Tumble is near Llanelli and Eiry was from Tumble - still is, I hope.

Strange game - a few weeks ago he was a bad guy in a red shirt and soon he'll be a good guy in green, white and just a touch of red and we'll love him when he does welll.

Bechet45 said:

I'm no psychologist so I won't attempt to comment on whatever Clive Woodwwod thinks. I would say that many professional sporstmen have a degree of arrogance and it's this (self belief) that makes them rise above the average. I don't think it applies to everyone of them and it's certainly not limited to the English ones.

As regards Toby Flood, all I can tell is that part of his game was off - the kicking out of hand part - but don't see that as arrogance.

Final point regarding the 2003 World Cup win - remember the number of caps that side had? (By the way Italy had 3 times as many caps yesterday). Were there some arrogant players in there - almost certainly - were there some very down to earth players - probably in the majority. Does this prove that arrogance is a characteristic of the English nation - not in my book.

UKRob said:
...... arrogance and it's this (self belief) ........

Methinks you are much mistaken in that assertion, Rob. Those are two entirely different states of mind. Self belief is very attractive to others and empowering of the individual, arrogance never is.

Bechet45 said:
UKRob said:
...... arrogance and it's this (self belief) ........

Methinks you are much mistaken in that assertion, Rob. Those are two entirely different states of mind. Self belief is very attractive to others and empowering of the individual, arrogance never is.

Arrogance is an excess of self belief and self worth - I would contend it's also a lack of self doubt, but either way I don't think I'm too far off. Going back to your appraisals of Flood and Tuilagi, one was born on a small island in the Atlantic, the other on an even smaller island in the Pacific - if you can discern that this affected their perforamnce on Sunday, whilst watching them on a TV screen, maybe you would be of major use to the coaching team.:-/

UKRob said:
..... you would be of major use to the coaching team.:-/

I've long since thought so but I really don't have the time!

As arrogance stems from the opposite of self-belief pretty much, it's hard to talk to someone who believes them to be the same only more so.

Warren Gatland using a bit of psychology to motivate Wales and England before the big game, very good idea in my opinion. He's brilliant coach, I only wish Wales hadn't released him for the last 8 or 9 months Wales certainly suffered without their head coach, I'm oinvinced we would have beaten Australia three nil in the test series had Gatland been there, I'll be glad to have him back for next season.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/03/13/wales-v-england-could-decide-key-british-lions-places-says-warren-gatland-91466-32978725/

Jamie

Has Gerorge North's dad (who is English) been prompting him to write Lancasters team motivation speech?
Some extracts from the BBC:

Wales is a massive rugby nation, and whenever we play England there seems to be this long, long rivalry that everyone just wants a bloodbath, really.

"It's not like a bad thing that they [Welsh fans] hate them [English] because they are nasty people.

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings...

My nerves are shot! The thing is every time England kick back the wonderful halfpenny gets it! It's funny I'm English but my mum is half Welsh and brought me up supporting Wales, so therefore Wales all the way. Philips is having a great match also mind!

Grand Slam? Grand Spanking! A big well done to Wales whose class, experience and flair really shone in the second half. England didn't have an answer and made so many mistakes. The ball is still the wrong shape, though.

Back
Top Bottom