Acquisitions 1st Feb - 29th Feb 2016

My first Valet Autostrop VC-1 all the way from 'merica.

Already was in pretty clean condition but cleaned off any remaining gunk and it looks like new. I had fun loading a de-spined Gem blade - this must be the most dangerous-to-load razors ever invented! Carefully designed to make you slide the naked blade lengthwise into the blade retainer just asking for your fingers to slide along the blade's sharp edge. No blood was spilled but I wouldn't want to do this on a groggy early morning!
Apart from its danger the design is quite neat and the blade can easily be flipped around to rinse out after shaving.

On with the shave. Boy this is a scratchy little beast! It may be because it was the first use of this Gem blade which I find can be harsh on the first shaves so I'll have to see if the keenness wares off with use. Getting the angle right was very different to other SEs but you can see the blade (it's the whole top of the razor) so it's possible to lie it flat to the skin so I don't think I was scraping at the wrong angle. It will take some practice over the next few shaves to make a proper assessment but the word so far is careful.

Afterwards I thought I should have left on the blade's cardboard protector/wrapper while loading the blade to make a safer job. Maybe I should run in Gem blade in another razor first before de-spining and using in this one.

Acquire_20160218-3_zpskivo4s2p.jpg

The razor came in a neat metal box and 5 NOS Valet blades. Do you think I should use these or will their performance have degraded over time? No signs of rust and blades look new.
Acquire_20160218-4_zpszvwdsacg.jpg

Acquire_20160218-1_zpsizlejk81.jpg

Acquire_20160218-2_zpsokasm4qw.jpg
You can shave with those blades..See my recent thread on SE Stropping blades..:)
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/com...having-with-a-1912-the-traditional-way.36246/

Billy

DSC_0240_zpsfk4qycbo.jpg

I got my Chinese Made Gold Dollar Full Hollow Ground from Billyj11 on EBay in the Post Today..Well its is shave ready straight from the Box for sure..He has reworked this Full Blade..Its a fine Edge & Evil Sharp for Sure..I am Impressed... I even like the Cheap Chad Valley Scales...Its a Corker..I also got my RazoRock Chicago Tallow Soap the other day..What a Set up for a Shave..:p

Billy

My friend, Paul, owner of Wilde&Harte send me the Eltham, art deco design, 3,5in and 80g polished steel handle, made in England, with a R89 head.
I'll use it with a aluminum plated in chrome or black anodized Seygus.
This is a wonderful design, close to the old Darwin, which was made in Sheffield.

6349d44eabcab5343cefa8d783f4b807.jpg

New razor arrived today; The Kraken 248.
And like its name suggests it's a bit of a monster.
This razor is a 3D printed slant razor with a sort of safety bar/open comb hybrid and a pretty cool handle.
Weighing in at just 13g (including the weight of the nut, bolt and washer) it's extremely light and has a substantial blade gap making this a very efficient, yet comfortable shave.
Costing just £20 delivered from Holland it's a fantastic razor. The only question is how durable this 3D printed stuff is.
4cd77e092f09a71dca0a3ac0b7866bee.jpg

0885955f3378c0060e2ca53f72d4c0ff.jpg
Thanks for bringing this cool razor to light. Im probably going to order one later, cant really go wrong for the price.

This is how you end up with three "Sword" Wilkinson sword razors....

1) You buy one months ago as you really like the sword logo on the handle..but it's NOS/NIB and you're hesitant to open it...,
2) You find a second one..happens to also be boxed..but you buy it to open and use it!
3) You open the second one..but there's a little piece broken and the razor rattles...
4) The seller of the second one sends you another one for free.

2iu2vls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom