haven't used my yet
my mam said she'd buy me it for xmas so had to give her it to wrap
only got it back today

will use in the morning and give my review on razor
any way

MERRY XMAXS EVERY ONE

Gradually working out my Alumigoose, under the nose being the trickiest spot. Today's shave reminded me how phenomenally well a Mongoose with the Feather Super blades can shave. This is an almost perfect shave.

Not necessarily the most enjoyable shave in the world though.

For SEs under the nose I like to follow GEM's advice...

Cop7VXt.jpg

AlumiGoose

gDOQuSt.jpg

I was fortunate to be made aware of a small batch of Aluninum Mongooses on sale prior to the full production run which could be coming in February 2016. I scored the full aluminum razor, both head and handle which they apparently didn't have many of. The full razor cost me $75. The head was 19g and the handle weighs 30g. This 49g total weight is a gram less than my 50g stainless steel Mongoose head only which weighs in at 50g.

MgQ88sE.jpg

9ZQq3nt.jpg

This is a very fun razor to use. To me it shaves very similar to my B1 stainless steel, just much lighter. It doesn't feel any more or less aggressive. I just feel like I can whip it all around my face.

MvbKGuo.jpg

I greatly appreciate the longer pins which hold the blade in place. They now go all the way through to the baseplate. I believe this was one of the B3 upgrades. They make it much easier to rinse the blade thoroughly as you can loosen the razor without worrying that the blade will fall out.

M9xpjm7.jpg

As I said, I find this to be a fun razor to use. It makes me feel super strong as the smallest effort can move it clear across my face. It is also a louder razor than its stainless steel counterpart which I attribute to the lower weight of the aluminum. The shiny black anodizing appears to be well done and can even give off a reflection as shown below.

rH8F82c.jpg

Keep your eyes on the Mongoose business page on Facebook for announcements, especially towards the end of January as the hope to have AlumiGooses for sale at several online vendors in February.

For SEs under the nose I like to follow GEM's advice...

Thanks. I've worked out a way actually.

My shaves from the alumigoose are now superb. I don't seem to get on with the Feather Pro, but the Feather Super and Kai Captain Mild blades are working well for me. Maybe I got a bad pack of Pros.

I like the razor a lot, but sometimes it makes it seem almost TOO easy.

Thanks. I've worked out a way actually.

My shaves from the alumigoose are now superb. I don't seem to get on with the Feather Pro, but the Feather Super and Kai Captain Mild blades are working well for me. Maybe I got a bad pack of Pros.

I like the razor a lot, but sometimes it makes it seem almost TOO easy.
It would be interesting to know how many shaves you get out of each blade type in the Alumigoose, by way of comparison with the stainless versions. I currently average 15 in my B2.

Well, when I started with the AlumiGoose I just moved my Feather Pro blade from the stainless B1 into it. It had 7 shaves on it at that point. Yesterday was shave #18 on that blade, so 11 shaves with it in the AlumiGoose after 7 previous shaves in the original. The blade is still good and I see it lasting well past 20 shaves. I typically get 20+ shaves from the Feather Pro blades and have even crossed 30 a few times now.

I shaved with my ATT S2 this morning. 2 passes in, and I really wasn't enjoying it, and there was still some stubble. Switched to the alumigoose for the last pass, and the shave is as close and comfortable as can be. I'm liking it more and more (which is what happened with my aluminium Wolfman too).

Didn't get to try the Alumigoose until today as I was away and didn't take it with me.

I found, unsurprisingly, that the shave was the same smooth, close and gentle one that the steelgoose gives but the shaving experience was different. Certainly noisier, as expected from aluminium, and this additional audible feedback is quite useful. I am sticking to my theory that the balance point of the razor is the main factor in shaving feel, so I coupled it to the lightest handle I have, a 12mm 'wave' type with deep waves. I believe the razor would be at its best coupled to either a 12mm Titanium handle or a 15mm Aluminium one and I'm hoping to have one or the other made shortly.

One might ask why I bought this since it is, as expected, not much different in result from the steel. Its lightness makes a pleasant change and it gives a great shave, so it's a keeper!

The latest Facebook post on Saturday 30th January 2016 reads thus:-

"Introducing the Alumigoose 2-smaller head, rounded corners, hex handle, 52 grams. Will be available in gunmetal gray or black. Production is well underway. You can compare the head to the Mongoose Stainless pictured on the bottom."

There are some good photographs of the new razor.

There has been some discussion about UK shipping, so I quote a response from Mongoose on FB to someone's question: -

Hi all - please send an email to "mongooseorders@gmail.com" to get in the list. We will be selling these through a few select online shops, not directly. Once we have stock for them to ship, they will contact you with ordering info. The shops we use ship overseas, so no worries.

Last edited:
The latest Facebook post on Saturday 30th January 2016 reads thus:-

"Introducing the Alumigoose 2-smaller head, rounded corners, hex handle, 52 grams. Will be available in gunmetal gray or black. Production is well underway. You can compare the head to the Mongoose Stainless pictured on the bottom."

There are some good photographs of the new razor.

There has been some discussion about UK shipping, so I quote a response from Mongoose on FB to someone's question: -

Hi all - please send an email to "mongooseorders@gmail.com" to get in the list. We will be selling these through a few select online shops, not directly. Once we have stock for them to ship, they will contact you with ordering info. The shops we use ship overseas, so no worries.
No sure I like the new shape. The head and handle don't seem to have an 'integrated' look.

Back
Top Bottom