Are Supermarket Bought Soaps Any Good?

Are the soaps in the small bowls, which can be bought from supermarkets really any good?

I started off using these, a Wilkinson Sword one if I remember correctly and it was okay but when I look at the price of some of the other creams and soaps available it makes me think they are not really favoured to DE shaving.

Your thoughts?

anotheruser said:
Are the soaps in the small bowls, which can be bought from supermarkets really any good?

I started off using these, a Wilkinson Sword one if I remember correctly and it was okay but when I look at the price of some of the other creams and soaps available it makes me think they are not really favoured to DE shaving.

Your thoughts?

I have no experience of the soaps in bowls, but the Palmolive sticks are perfectly useable.

IN short, anything Wilkinson sword, apart from their DE blades is rubbish. The bowl is especially bad as many have reported on these forums and elsewhere.

I will second what you've been told about the Palmolive stick. It's a great performer at an unbelievable price.

You can also find some good creams (but not great) at supermarkets, such as Palmolive, Ingrams and even Erasmic.

Re: RE: Are Supermarket Bought Soaps Any Good?

NotTheStig said:
The WS bowl is crap. Thin bubbly lather. Palmolive anything is good and Erasmic good if you go for the Supreme line

I agree with that. I tried the WS bowl and it is rubbish.

I find creams are easier to lather generally, I like the TOBS creams and they are my normal goto creams. I do use a few soaps, but not often as they require more time and effort to get a decent lather and I'm too lazy for that. I think for beginner shavers that creams are the better option to start with as the lathering is easier.

I've managed to get a nice thick lather from the WS bowl with my Omega boar and alittle bit of effort but I've been using this for a long time as my other half bought me the soap bowl and WS brush for Xmas a few years ago so I though all were like these. they aren't the best but you can get a decent lather.

I've bought the following from supermarkets/high street
Boots Cool cologne Cream
Boots soap stick
Palmolive soap stick
Palmolive cream
Ingrams menthol cream (from superdrug)

I regularly use the Palmolive stuff and Boots cologne cream, which silly cheap. I've not had a go at the Ingrams yet but in general I've found this products ok.

Ah yes. The Boots Cool cream is good. Their bowl soap is superb and about £3!

rum said:
IN short, anything Wilkinson sword, apart from their DE blades is rubbish. The bowl is especially bad as many have reported on these forums and elsewhere.
I would almost include their modern blades as well - they're OK I guess. But their shaving sticks are very good, just not found in shops I've been in. WWW.barberblades.co.uk was doing them for £2 delivered which is an excellent price

Glad you mentioned this. When I'm in Southampton tomorrow I'll pop in to Asda and pick up half a dozen palmolive sticks. I'm on my last one. Stuffed in a bowl they lather as well as anything out there at several times the price. Benefit of scale.

The Palmolive stick knocks the Arko into A cocked hat in my opinion. It's a stunning soap for fifty pence.
How many good things can you get for fifty whole pence? Not so many.

I tried a whole range of budget soaps and was underwhelmed by them all apart from Arko and Palmolive which are great.

However, seeing as a £6 soap stick or £10 soap tin will last months and months and provide a great deal of pleasure it isn't really something I scrimp on.

The Wilkinson Sword stick is a great performer with a lovely Radox like smell (as noted by NTS) but is four times the price of a Palmolive stick. Not keen on Mr Palmolive's smell (although it's way better than ARKO!) but it is a great all round product. I started off liking the smell of ARKO then one day it turned on me and nearly stripped me of ear, nose and throat function. I enjoy Ingram's cream quite a bit though. Real Shave Co. Shave2 cream (double concentrated) is fabulous stuff and if anything performs better than TOBS creams although it is definitely better bought online in bulk direct from Creightons. For all this however, I'm starting to get a little spoiled by the scents and luxury feel of the likes of TOBS rose cream, MWF soap and Trumper's coconut soap which I'm starting to enjoy a lot more than previously. If I was even more skint than I am now then Palmolive squashed into a bowl would be just fine by me but it really does smell like old man's sweat partially disguised by dodgy aftershave. The great wide world of YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom