Are Supermarket Bought Soaps Any Good?

Al H said:
bought a boots bowl yesterady and for 3.05 its very good

by my work there is a very small boots and it stocks boots freshwood brushless shaving cream. i hadnt seen it before so not used as i dont really do the creams in a tube. however if anybody wants some but their boots do not stock it i can always get it to send on or trade for a stick of somthing different

Would agree the Boots soap in a bowl is a very good performer.

The first soap I bought when I got into wet shaving was the WS one. Binned it quick.!!!

Hiya,

There's a few readily available soaps in lots of stores here in the US. One's Williams and the other is Van der Hagen. Both are only $2 or so.

Haven't tried the Williams but I did use one of the VDH currently made soaps a while back. Yep, shaved with it maybe 3-4 times.

It was actually good. Scent wasn't bad and the slip and cushion was fine. Post shave skincare was good also. Maybe not the very best stuff out there, but a great bang for the buck product.

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

There's a few readily available soaps in lots of stores here in the US. One's Williams and the other is Van der Hagen. Both are only $2 or so.

Haven't tried the Williams but I did use one of the VDH currently made soaps a while back. Yep, shaved with it maybe 3-4 times.

It was actually good. Scent wasn't bad and the slip and cushion was fine. Post shave skincare was good also. Maybe not the very best stuff out there, but a great bang for the buck product.

Martin

I've got one of their brushes. Very good considering it came free with an eBay purchase

Al H said:

Martin

I've got one of their brushes. Very good considering it came free with an eBay purchase
[/quote]

Maybe two years ago VDH offered some upgraded items as an inexpensive boxed set. Came with a bowl, soap and brush I think. Got good reviews in general if I remember right.

Al H said:
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?aid=6019

I have that exact brush.. it was actually my first brush.. after about a year of use though it began to show its pricepoint in terms of value...

1) the "chrome" looking ring at the top of the handle is completely loose and pops out of the handle entirely only being held in by the width of the knot.

2) the thing sheds like a dog with mange often depositing multiple hairs around my face when you apply any sort of lather

3) the knot im pretty confident is fairly loose in there being able to spin about and such

but hey i got it in a cheap set with a soap puck, and apothecary style mug, and a stand not bad for the few bucks i dropped on it but i quickly moved on..

TO get on to the topic though...

I just have had my second shave with the palmolive shave stick thats allegedly available to alot of Europe for very cheap at local stores....

IM SUPER IMPRESSED

This one is very good.

ingram-shave-lather-JPeS.jpg

Perhaps I mentioned it before? :angel:

Sikario said:
Al H said:
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?aid=6019

I have that exact brush.. it was actually my first brush.. after about a year of use though it began to show its pricepoint in terms of value...

1) the "chrome" looking ring at the top of the handle is completely loose and pops out of the handle entirely only being held in by the width of the knot.

2) the thing sheds like a dog with mange often depositing multiple hairs around my face when you apply any sort of lather

3) the knot im pretty confident is fairly loose in there being able to spin about and such

but hey i got it in a cheap set with a soap puck, and apothecary style mug, and a stand not bad for the few bucks i dropped on it but i quickly moved on..

TO get on to the topic though...

I just have had my second shave with the palmolive shave stick thats allegedly available to alot of Europe for very cheap at local stores....

IM SUPER IMPRESSED

they cost 49P here

Back
Top Bottom