Are Supermarket Bought Soaps Any Good?

Gairdner said:
Good to hear you're enjoying it, Griffo. Don't be feared to squirt just a little more onto the brush than you might with say a TOBS cream. Still good good value even doing it that way.

Well there's 2 things here.

first, don't purchase something cos it's cheap and leave it on the shelf for a couple of months. I bought this just because it was there and I was in superdrug.

second, used my TOBS avocado at the weekend - great shave and an awesome cream but... I have to say the Ingrams is near a perfect cream for me. Nice lather, great menthol kick, trouble free shave and I feel great afterwards. It's become one of my favourites and slightly annoyed at leaving it there on the shelf without trying it for so long.

Great rec Gairdner as if you hadn't mentioned it previously it would probably still be there on the shelf waiting.

Crikey, don't tell the missus but I must be getting useful in me old age....;)

Just re-iterating info given to me by other lads on here but Ingrams has become a huge favourite. Although I find the Wilkie stick's otherwise quite pleasant, radox-like scent irritates my nose and makes me want to sneeze, it is a first class soap and worth a punt at £2 even if Palmolive is only 50p. Wonder how many Rangers fans would use the Palmolive? And would they fork out 4 times that for the Wilkie just because it's blue? Any maroon shaving soaps out there?

Gairdner said:
Crikey, don't tell the missus but I must be getting useful in me old age....;)

Just re-iterating info given to me by other lads on here but Ingrams has become a huge favourite. Although I find the Wilkie stick's otherwise quite pleasant, radox-like scent irritates my nose and makes me want to sneeze, it is a first class soap and worth a punt at £2 even if Palmolive is only 50p. Wonder how many Rangers fans would use the Palmolive? And would they fork out 4 times that for the Wilkie just because it's blue? Any maroon shaving soaps out there?

Or a claret and blue one although at the moment that would start off well and then fall to pieces towards the end of the shave.

A maroon one would look good, promise much, demand your utmost loyalty as a brand but perform on a mediocre level from day to day. The company that owned it would change hands often and lead you up the garden path with promises. Occasionally, as if by magic, it would lather up like a champ and provide the thrill ride of your life only to dump you back in the land of so-so on its very next outing. Sometimes you would get a good batch for a year and the next it would be poor. Same old....

Oh Stiggy, you make me feel so guilty and ungrateful. Just for that I will send you an extra large sample of Mr Sidney's - if you don't like it you can always moonlight as a hospital cleaner. This stuff could cure every youth's acne at the twist of a lid. The merest whiff would have matron in rapture and MRSA on its knees, towel in hand. Still not quite powerful enough to mask the atrocious, help the aged, wee-wee scent of Pishana. :D

P.S. I'm still going to try other SFH soaps, honest!

Just don't be tempted to breathe the fumes in for too long, although it could be an effective treatment for excess nostril hair. Have you watched all the Open all Hours episodes yet? Do you remember the one when a customer (Mrs Blewitt perhaps?) asked if it was a strong bleach? My reply is the same as Arkwright's was, "St-strong? I can hear it se-se-seething in the bottle." The reason it comes in a so-called plastic bottle, I believe, is that it would melt glass and it's actually a NASA developed carbon/kevlar/spectra compound and not plastic at all.

I have seen them all, including the pilot which was actually on telly last night. I look forward to this one; hope if I like it I will be able to get hold of it for a few years to come. I don't really want to stock up on aftershave any more than I already have.

very impressed with the wilky stick, grated two sticks and put in a bowl a great lather. the only fault is there is not much fragrance,

the two sticks i got from barber blades were new but seemed to be at least a couple of years old by the state of the cardboard box, that may explain lack of smell

I've only been able to find the Wilkinson and Erasmic bowls and Palmolive stick where I am. I didnt have a problem with either of the bowls, seemed to work well enough. I haven't tried Palmolive yet.

Have bought a few wilkinson sword bowls from asda, didn't like the soap much, threw the soap in the bin and grated a couple of palmolive sticks into the tubs, great tubs for other/better soaps, asda has a cream, Groomed Shave Cream Moisture Zone,
£2 for 125ml, may give it a try this week.

Back
Top Bottom