brogues

MrK1 said:
I bought the same pair in black last week. A really comfortable boot. It was a choice between those and the Chukka type.

Only downside is now I 'need' the chukkas as well.

Can anyone recommend some decent polish for them?

I have a modest collection of Loakes, Grenson, Crocket & Jones etc, and I regularly use Cherry Blossom & Kiwi wax polishes & plenty of elbow grease! I do have a few tins of Loake polish too, but to be honest, notice no difference apart from the price...

StephenShave said:
OrangeSport said:
Mine have turned up. very nice boots with an "aged" leather look:

Best of luck with them... There's nothing more satisfying than polishing a good quality pair of shoes - proper wax (non of your silicon rubbish!), brushes, old dusters, bit of bulling - like the ritual of a a good shave!

What is the recommended polish to use these days? I've not been able to find any oxblood colour in the shops, or has it be renamed something else these days?

harrinp1 said:
StephenShave said:
OrangeSport said:
Mine have turned up. very nice boots with an "aged" leather look:

Best of luck with them... There's nothing more satisfying than polishing a good quality pair of shoes - proper wax (non of your silicon rubbish!), brushes, old dusters, bit of bulling - like the ritual of a a good shave!

What is the recommended polish to use these days? I've not been able to find any oxblood colour in the shops, or has it be renamed something else these days?

Unfortunately, the high street has long since abandoned us shoe polish lovers - get all mine online now, mainly Ebay - Oxblood freely available!

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these and believe it or not, with my good lady's express approval. Encouragement, in actual fact. Amazing how things change when she's in Australia with her sister and family feeling guilty about me on my lonesome here in wet n' windy Scotlandshire.

Herring Kendal Brogues

Please bring 'em before Christmas, Santa, please? :angel:

Oh and thanks for info regarding polish, chaps. I was always told to use a small, medium stiffness brush to work in the polish then remove with a softer, longer haired brush then buff with a fine duster. It was always Kiwi in our house, nothing grand but it always did the trick. So why not the parade gloss then? Less nourishing or just not worth the extra?

Marvellous, ye of orange! Brown boots next methinks but will have to wait for my fortieth in April. Don't they just look great with a wee bit wear in them?

Ta for the further enablement!

Edit:

Oh,oh, just spied these splendid, tough looking Loake 1880s on Herring's deadly website:

Loake-Loake%20Mulligan-Brown%20Waxy-7338-3893-1.jpg

They do indeed.

I looked at a pair of these yesterday: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/6158.php

I really didn't like the colour in the flesh, but interestingly I tried on a size 8 (all my other Loakes are 9s) and they fitted perfectly. I was wearing thin socks though, as I had my Otterburns on (F fitting) and the Wharfdale are a G. Was surprised they fitted though, as my Badmintons are a G (026 though, rather than Penine) and I wear a 9 in those and just use thicker socks than in my F fitting shoes. It might be because the Whardales didn't taper, so they have a wide toe area. All my brogues get quite narrow towards the toe, so I wear them a little "longer" I guess.

I always prefer a bit of "wriggle room" in my shoes.

I have those boots in the pic above, in black.

Little story - I had a pair of Chelsea boots from Clarks - £60 ish. Not the greatest quality, but not cheap either. After a few months I developed pain in both my heels and ankles. Got to a point where walking after getting out of bed would be painfull for a few minutes. I never really thought it was the shoes (Clarks are supposed to be a decent brand aren't they?) and put it down to signs of age. A month of wearing the Loakes and the pain has all gone.

I'm now looking for a second pair of Loakes.

MrK1 said:
I have those boots in the pic above, in black.

Little story - I had a pair of Chelsea boots from Clarks - £60 ish. Not the greatest quality, but not cheap either. After a few months I developed pain in both my heels and ankles. Got to a point where walking after getting out of bed would be painfull for a few minutes. I never really thought it was the shoes (Clarks are supposed to be a decent brand aren't they?) and put it down to signs of age. A month of wearing the Loakes and the pain has all gone.

I'm now looking for a second pair of Loakes.

The boots I have in my "collection" picture? They are very comfortable aren't they? (or do you mean the Mulligans in Graeme's post? not sure if they come in black...)

If they work well for you there are quite a few Loakes on the 3625 last, and the 024 seems to fit in a similar way. That means Chesters could be a good fit, and they look really good...

Gairdner said:
Oh and thanks for info regarding polish, chaps. I was always told to use a small, medium stiffness brush to work in the polish then remove with a softer, longer haired brush then buff with a fine duster. It was always Kiwi in our house, nothing grand but it always did the trick. So why not the parade gloss then? Less nourishing or just not worth the extra?

If you are bulling them use ordinary Kiwi and a good "jewelry" polishing cloth. Parade gloss doesn't react as well to the layering and polishing used in bulling due to the "extra wax" it contains.
If you don't have an hour or so to bull them use parade gloss for a fine shine easily obtained, as well as very good proofing. It even lasts the 7 year old two or three days on her school shoes with just a buff in the morning!

As a side note I've had a few people say that KPG ruins shoes, dries them and cracks them due to the silicon in it. All the people who use it don't say that.

Re: RE: brogues

The boots I have in my "collection" picture? They are very comfortable aren't they? (or do you mean the Mulligans in Graeme's post? not sure if they come in black...)

If they work well for you there are quite a few Loakes on the 3625 last, and the 024 seems to fit in a similar way. That means Chesters could be a good fit, and they look really good...
[/quote]

Yes the same ones as yours.

I prefer the boot type rather than a shoe.

I have been looking at the 209's. I like the style, but I'm in 2 minds about the , 'gloss' finish.

I'm late to this game.. but my Loake Chesters (from the 1880) range are utterly superb. Now two years old and still absolutely perfect. I have no doubt in my mind at all that they will go on forever.

I also have a pair of Barker brogues, but they are an oxford rather than a derby so are a tad more formal in appearance.

I'd say if you don't want to go all the way to the likes of Crockett & Jones (where my next brogues will come from) then Loake is the point where value meets genuine quality.

Back
Top Bottom