Favourite Shave Stick?

I quite like the Tabac shaving stick, the scents is OK, nothing special but also I don't find it offensive, and It lathers up well.

I did buy a TOBS Sandalwood recently, but I must say I am disappointed with the lather it produces.

Re: RE: Favourite Shave Stick?

NotTheStig said:
Gravy said:
My favourite ended up being Lea, it leaves my face feeling great, lathers like MWF and just smells like soap.

Tabac, La Toja & Spieck were all in the 'smells weird don't use again' category for me.
I can understand that about Tabac and Speick but La Toja? Just has a mellow spicy smell.
Haven't tried LEA but sounds good. Has it been replaced with one called BEA or is that a similar or entirely different line?

I think I just don't like spicy scented soaps. Strangely I like speick aftershave splash, didn't like the soap.

I've not seen Bea, but Lea (lanolin & glycerine) is a quite new formula I think.

From the few that I've tried Arko is my favourite and I don't mind the smell either. Must get a holder for it though for travelling. If the Derby is as good and comes in a holder I'll try that.

Have 3 soap sticks - Boots, Palmolive and Erasmic.

Order of performance for me:

1). Boots
2). Palmolive
3). Erasmic - couldn't get much soap off it's that solid.

arko and speick in that order

had an arko shave this morning for the 1st time in a while and it was immense. lather everywhere and a super smooth finish.

Greetings

I have tried several of the sticks but I always grate or press them into a container.

My favourites are Speick, Tabac, Wilkinson Sword, Lea and La Toja with Speick and Tabac as 1st and 2nd.

I also like all the Turkish sticks Arko, GZD,Tweex and Derby but as somebody has already said, whilst not the same, they are all quite similar but I think Tweex is the best of them.

A couple I have tried and dislike are Erasmic and Boots, the Boots stick is the only soap (or cream) that has made my face smart/tingle, I suspect everybody will eventually find one cream or soap that does not agree with them.

Palmolive has to be the best value at least here in the UK, I am just sorry that I have 'missed the boat', with Sir Irisch Moos, I would have liked to try that.

Regards
Dick.

Helveticum said:
Merwtje has got some Irisch Moos sticks, apparently.. Shipping from Holland is costly though. I'm kinda intrigued too, always wanted to try it.

Carl (NTS) kindly sent me a sample a while back, along with Speick and de Vergulde Hand. The Moos lathered pretty identically to Tabac, but I wasn't overly-keen on the scent, probably due of the presence of coriander. I, like Stephen Fry and a significant minority of the Western population, perhaps due to a particular allele, detect coriander as an unpleasantly bitter detergent aroma. Otherwise, the aroma is rather like a detergent soap bar. Suffice it to say, I'm one of the weirdos who prefers Tabac.:icon_razz:

I've still only got experience of Palmolive and Arko as far as sticks are concerned. Is the Erasmic stick (tallow) really as bad as it's reputed to be? Was probably going to try that when I next get a stick.

Irisch Moos is my favourite, followed by Speick and Palmolive. Arko, Derby, De Vergulde Hand and vintage Cussons (if you add a fragrance oil) are also great.
Actually TOBS is ok although needs a lot of water. The Cussons produces a really rich, slick lather with loads of 'after-slip' if that makes sense. just had a horrible smell like the worst and very strongest kind of school soap from my early childhood. Nothing the New Leather fragrance oil couldn't fix once grated into a container.

shavecraft said:
I've still only got experience of Palmolive and Arko as far as sticks are concerned. Is the Erasmic stick (tallow) really as bad as it's reputed to be? Was probably going to try that when I next get a stick.

I tried one way back - someone sent it to me as a PIF item. I suspect that, if you could transfer enough to your face or get enough loaded in the brush, it would probably work very nicely, but it seemed so ridiculously hard and crumbly that I reckon you'd have to soak it for ages to soften it, at which point I fear it would break apart.

Back
Top Bottom