Favourite Shave Stick?

i have a recent Erasmic and a vintage one (sticks). Not used either but they smell and look exactly the same (packaging aside) so hopefully that means they're both equally as good (good being a relative term) as each other.
i'm tempted to try it tomorrow but I'm committed to Cella this week.

Out of Palmoive, Arko, La Toja and the Boots one - those I've tried so far - La Toja's the winner with Palmolive a happy second. I found Arko vile: binned the stick that night and sold the rest of the them within the day.

I really like the lather I got from La Toja; very lubricating indeed without much hassle. It also lasted longer than Palmolive and had a more interesting (but still soapy) scent.

shavecraft said:
Be interested to hear what you make of 'em as and when you try 'em NTS
Will do. it'll be in SOTD.

Burgundy said:
Out of Palmoive, Arko, La Toja and the Boots one - those I've tried so far - La Toja's the winner with Palmolive a happy second. I found Arko vile: binned the stick that night and sold the rest of the them within the day.

I really like the lather I got from La Toja; very lubricating indeed without much hassle. It also lasted longer than Palmolive and had a more interesting (but still soapy) scent.
i like la Toja too - forgot about that one as I only have a small sample and only used it once.

NotTheStig said:
i have a recent Erasmic and a vintage one (sticks). Not used either but they smell and look exactly the same (packaging aside) so hopefully that means they're both equally as good (good being a relative term) as each other.
i'm tempted to try it tomorrow but I'm committed to Cella this week.

Don't grate the erasmic one, its rubbish.

The erasmic bowl however will grate good if you want to mix with somthing else

The Erasmic bowl - a brief digression, honest - smells great and works ok but is a bit thin on lather and protection. haven't used that for ages and want to now!!

shavecraft said:
Is the Erasmic stick (tallow) really as bad as it's reputed to be?

Not really, but the lather can appear to be a bit thin. Just apply more to the face is one way around it. I tend to use it in combination with the Palmolive stick - crayon one side of the face with Erasmic and the other with Palmolive, and mix together with the brush. I find that the resulting lather is slicker than plain Palmolive.

I've used the De Vergulde Hand stick for years, and have used the Palmolive incidentally. Both are very good, with the De Vergulde Hand soap being slightly harsher on the skin.

Opened a new Palmolive stick this morning. Been a few months since I used it. Really enjoyed the shave. It really is excellent, tremendous product for the money.

I think they must be sold at or very near cost in supermarkets. I do wonder why they provide such a great shaving stick and then such a rubbish shaving bowl soap (I'm talking about the Wilkinson Sword bowl soap).

I have noticed that (bricks and mortar) places even a year ago I would visit for shaving soaps don't have them anymore. There was an excellent chemist local to work where I picked up Aramis shaving soap, Roger & Gallet L'Homme shaving soap, Tabac sticks (where I got my first and only one in fact) and they also had C&E Sandalwood. None of those now, just Palmolive and Ingrams. Even the Culmak shaving soap is all gone (I got the last one). They seem to stock by supplier - tonnes of C&E stuff, tonnes of Roger & Gallet... They have EJ boar brushes which is handy. Has anyone else noticed places not restocking certain shaving related items? (Sorry to go off topic. Bringing it back in my next paragraph.)

Irisch Moos/Palmolive/Wilkinson Sword/Speick sticks all fantastic. All full of that lovely tallow. What could be better than smearing animal fat round your face?

NotTheStig said:
Has anyone else noticed places not restocking certain shaving related items?

I went to get some more Real Shaving Co. cream and ASB from Poundland in the Manchester Arndale today and there was none on the shelves - formerly they've always been well stocked with the stuff.

NotTheStig said:
I think they must be sold at or very near cost in supermarkets. I do wonder why they provide such a great shaving stick and then such a rubbish shaving bowl soap (I'm talking about the Wilkinson Sword bowl soap).

I have noticed that (bricks and mortar) places even a year ago I would visit for shaving soaps don't have them anymore. There was an excellent chemist local to work where I picked up Aramis shaving soap, Roger & Gallet L'Homme shaving soap, Tabac sticks (where I got my first and only one in fact) and they also had C&E Sandalwood. None of those now, just Palmolive and Ingrams. Even the Culmak shaving soap is all gone (I got the last one). They seem to stock by supplier - tonnes of C&E stuff, tonnes of Roger & Gallet... They have EJ boar brushes which is handy. Has anyone else noticed places not restocking certain shaving related items? (Sorry to go off topic. Bringing it back in my next paragraph.)

Irisch Moos/Palmolive/Wilkinson Sword/Speick sticks all fantastic. All full of that lovely tallow. What could be better than smearing animal fat round your face?

and how can WS make a brilliant stick and not use the same stuff in their bowls

Back
Top Bottom