London 2012

Before going to sleep last night I said to my wife "With a bit of luck we might win five gold medals tomorrow." I didn't include Rutherford so was one out!

What a day. In all my life of watching Olympics since the fifties I never dreamt we would experience days like these. I remember the thrill of us winning the right to hold them in London. The images we have seen every day get better and better.

Exactly seven days from now, I'll be in the Olympic Park after the last night of the athletics. Being in the stadium on that night will probably be an event that will surpass my trip to Wembley for the 1966 World Cup Final.

And now for tomorrow. Tune in around 2pm to see coverage of Ben Ainslie seeking his fourth consecutive Gold in the Finn Class.

Fido said:
Before going to sleep last night I said to my wife "With a bit of luck we might win five gold medals tomorrow." I didn't include Rutherford so was one out!

What a day. In all my life of watching Olympics since the fifties I never dreamt we would experience days like these. I remember the thrill of us winning the right to hold them in London. The images we have seen every day get better and better.

Exactly seven days from now, I'll be in the Olympic Park after the last night of the athletics. Being in the stadium on that night will probably be an event that will surpass my trip to Wembley for the 1966 World Cup Final.

And now for tomorrow. Tune in around 2pm to see coverage of Ben Ainslie seeking his fourth consecutive Gold in the Finn Class.

It's all been amazing, hope you have a great time.

Aye-may-zing.
In the excitement I opened a Spanish wine to go with the pizza I made to graze during the evening! No medal for me, but I don't give a $%^&.
Wonder what the kleptocrats will drop in the media tomorrow? You know they will!
Come on Tim(Andy)
G'won Kenny
Ginga ninja Ed Clancy - a hero that deserves another gong
Tiny Trotter - Omniwishes!
Ben A - !!!
and the failures are the highest paid - AGAIN.

love'n'joy
Lloyd

lloydedwards said:
and the failures are the highest paid - AGAIN.

This is going to be oft repeated in the next few days but please bear in mind that the vast majority of the team GB football team are very, very young players who don't make their first teams in their respective leagues and are relatively lowly paid. The best known footballer of course is Ryan Giggs and he scored his penalty. But as an example of money not being the bad guy here, the keeper, one Jack Butland, may be a Birmingham City employee but he plies his trade at Cheltenham Town, and he saved zero penalty shots. So it's not the money spoiling people I'm afraid Lloyd.
There's no dissapointment from the Rooneys, Lampards, Gerrards, Terrys etc that we can blame this time. Tonight's result was not about being spoilt by the money. They were a good yound squad that did their best, give them that much credit.

I'm really enjoying the games, I spoke to loads of people in the run up who were disinterested in the games. I would hope they have become more interested or they are missing out on an amazing and inspiring experience. I've been really pleased that not only are Team GB performing brilliantly but also that we have shown that we can produce a top quality games.

What a day today! Awesome!

I hope and trust that the sight of the black British Muslim gold medallist wrapped in the Union flag and embracing his heavily pregnant white wife made the heads of every racist and xenophobe in the country explode.

Hear, hear Dr Rick. Did you see the Frankie Boyle crack? I loved it:-
"I hope that having to feel proud of a cyclist has given Jeremy Clarkson a brain haemorrhage"
You've got to love the sentiment.

As for "relatively lowly paid" footballers. Why are they not paid on results? I don't know the facts on the goalie, but common practice is that the club holding the registration pays - hence Bellamy was getting over twice as much per week as the other Cardiff players cos Man City still paid his contract. Premier league over 18's expect at least £10k A WEEK BEFORE first team places.
Rangers only won because they cheated the taxman, us that is, and most premier clubs and players use complicated tax avoidance. Man Utd and Man City use a nearby (less than a mile away) private hospital for players, so don't even contribute to NHS sports science. Many of the athletes are well paid pros, BUT they are paid for results, not unfulfilled promises.
It is difficult to 'rate' a player in a team sport I know, but "they deserve it cos they tried their best" doesn't cut it anywhere else! They barely sell any tickets, have you been to a reserve team game? I believe the top UK Athletics grant is £304k PER YEAR, reviewed each 3 months, less than the monthly brothel bill!

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Let's not get bogged down discussing our footballers. They did their best, as has everyone else. Celebrate success!

And apologies to all our friends here from outside the UK if we seem to be getting a bit too gung ho. But this is what it's all about for us:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19125682
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19133876

In particular, well done to America. But dare I say, if we had your population and resources here in the UK, no one would touch us at any sport!

Only joking.

:):):):):)

And if you think I'm a fanatic, this was my 72 year old sister snapped by one her her kids and posted on Facebook during last night's events:

306846_10151332264184278_226436541_n.jpg

Dr Rick said:
I hope and trust that the sight of the black British Muslim gold medallist wrapped in the Union flag and embracing his heavily pregnant white wife made the heads of every racist and xenophobe in the country explode.

How about us fatist's doc? I noticed their spoiled little girl could have done with a few laps of the track, a future shot putter perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom