London 2012

Fido said:
Let's not get bogged down discussing our footballers. They did their best, as has everyone else. Celebrate success!

And apologies to all our friends here from outside the UK if we seem to be getting a bit too gung ho. But this is what it's all about for us:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19125682
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19133876

In particular, well done to America. But dare I say, if we had your population and resources here in the UK, no one would touch us at any sport!

Only joking.

:):):):):)

I believe that you didn't say that in Paris in 1783!:)-)

Congratulations Ben Ainslee. You must be chuffed to pieces Fido. :D

What we need now is a commemorative New Forest Team GB brush. :)
(with the prototype going to the fine chap who came up with the idea!) ;)

Dr Rick said:
I hope and trust that the sight of the black British Muslim gold medallist wrapped in the Union flag and embracing his heavily pregnant white wife made the heads of every racist and xenophobe in the country explode.

May want to check the contrast on your TV there Dr.

Ah. mixed European and Indian, I now see alleged elsewhere - though I'm not the first or last to make a similar remark. Hey ho, I'm perfectly happy to be colourblind in this context! (And 90% of the point stands...)

What a fantastic weekend. I'll get the coffee ready for Ben in our Lymington Coffee shop. So pleased the BBC covered the whole of his final race - but what a nail biter.

_62053373_149844799.jpg

And poor old Federer - the Team GB momentum swept him away. Dare we hope this event was another changing of the guard?

Once again, enduring images of the enthusiasm of us Brits - thousands lining the streets for the marathon in the rain (we are used to that) massive crowds watching live TV in Hyde Park and the Olympic Park and all along the shore in Weymouth.

And perhaps to top it all as another great sporting moment:

_62060237_bolt3.jpg

I thought the 100m last night was superb - Bolt being pushed hard by his young compatriot. I'd have preferred Tyson Gay to get the bronze rather than Justin Gatlin for the reason that I don't think Gatlin should have been allowed to enter. For the same reason, I was relieved that Dwain Chambers didn't get into the final.

chrisbell said:
I thought the 100m last night was superb - Bolt being pushed hard by his young compatriot. I'd have preferred Tyson Gay to get the bronze rather than Justin Gatlin for the reason that I don't think Gatlin should have been allowed to enter. For the same reason, I was relieved that Dwain Chambers didn't get into the final.

I 100% agree. Drugs cheats should be banned for life. It's ridiculous they manage to get their bans overturned (though I include a caveat here for those unfortunates who take a cough medicine or something similar).

What about Christine Ohoruogu's magnificent silver medal in the 400? She looked nowhere near anything in the heats and almost got the gold.

Tall_Paul said:
What about Christine Ohoruogu's magnificent silver medal in the 400? She looked nowhere near anything in the heats and almost got the gold.

That was, IMO, a superb performance, and it says much for her approach that she was disappointed that she hadn't been able to pass the winner. Who knows, one injury fewer, a bit more race fitness and she might have done it. All that said, though, the fact that she clearly left nothing in reserve is all that anyone could ask.

Advances in "masking" is the only thing keeping a LOT more athletes out of the papers.

I say let them take whatever they want. Then no-one has an unfair advantage. What's the issue?

Decca, Sust, Whinny, D-bol, EPO, Clenbuterol.

It's all good.

joe mcclaine said:
Advances in "masking" is the only thing keeping a LOT more athletes out of the papers.

I say let them take whatever they want. Then no-one has an unfair advantage. What's the issue?

Decca, Sust, Whinny, D-bol, EPO, Clenbuterol.

It's all good.

Although I'd hate it from an ethical point of view, part of me thinks it would be interesting to see just how much more astonishing athletes' performances would be if they were allowed to take performance enhancers. I shudder to think of the medical consequences, though.:icon_cry2:

You only have to go back to the 70's and 80's to see that.

Although it was never proven Flo-Jo is one of those where her outstanding performances will always be called into question.

Tall_Paul said:
You only have to go back to the 70's and 80's to see that.

Although it was never proven Flo-Jo is one of those where her outstanding performances will always be called into question.

That was without all of the non-drug advances in sports science since then, though - combine those with the drugs and the performances would be better still. Overall, though, I feel it's a terrible idea.

Back
Top Bottom