morris and forndran

Does this company still make brushes? Can't seem to find stockists but found one blog which said you need to email the guy direct but who?

Not sure if I'm in the market but was just wandering....they go for mega bucks on eBay, latest is £166 but says its brand new?

Are Rooney brushes the same company?

My inquisitive mind is on a mission now

Jason

You won't find UK stockists as he operates in a fairly clandestine fashion, best thing to do is go onto Badger and Blade where you'll find a dedicated thread or two, decide what you want and contact him.

It's the same person, slightly different company...contactable at lee.sabini@btinternet.com or used to be, someone else can confirm that for you.

It's a long story. Lee Sabini is the guy to contact for M&F. They are great brushes as long as you are patient and don't expect a prompt response to enquiries. Several designs are the same as Rooney. You will hit a dead end if you try to find out much about the Rooney operation. Rooney brushes can still be obtained in the USA - they are great brushes too.

I think he still uses that email Tony, I found him to be quite prompt and once you can decide what you want the turn around is about two weeks, still it's all a bit cloak & dagger I really don't understand the reason why this should be, must agree with Fido the Rooney heritage brushes are amazing brushes I have the stubby 2 must have one of the most outstanding knots I've ever used.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I think he still uses that email Tony, I found him to be quite prompt and once you can decide what you want the turn around is about two weeks, still it's all a bit cloak & dagger I really don't understand the reason why this should be, must agree with Fido the Rooney heritage brushes are amazing brushes I have the stubby 2 must have one of the most outstanding knots I've ever used.

I've found the complete opposite Jamie. I've already got 3 of Lee's brushes and the 2XL's I have with heritage hair are my absolute favourite (along with the two Simpson's Manchurians)
I wanted a custom handle (nothing too fancy) with one of Lee's heritage hair knots. I've emailed him numerous times over the last 2 months and heard nothing. This is not an uncommon story, as it "I've emailed him and got a brush within two weeks"

I'm using these two emails: lee.sabini@btinternet.com;LeeSabini@me.com

It's very frustrating and I guess adds to the mystery of Lee....grrrrr

Anyway here's some M&F/Rooney Brush pron :)

I too was interested in an M&F brush, but to be honest, playing the hide & seek game just frustrated me... I mean it's a shaving brush, not parts for a nuclear missile I'm after.

Unfortunately I just gave up in the end.

jb74 said:
I too was interested in an M&F brush, but to be honest, playing the hide & seek game just frustrated me... I mean it's a shaving brush, not parts for a nuclear missile I'm after.

Wasn't there a whisper that Lee had trouble in the past with animal rights people?

They obviously have an opinion, but I use to work with someone who was pro hunting. He regularly had animal bodies left on his door step, damage to property and intimidation from anti hunt people. Things can get rather rough and I can see why you wouldn't want to attract that to your business. Makes me wonder if Simpsons ever experience this type of thing.

Jpshaver said:
All very strange....no wander they go for so much on eBay if he makes things this hard to buy his kit

They really cost no more than any other high end brushes in fact they are probably better value than most at that level but dealing with Lee can be patchy, not in a dishonest way just sometimes his customer service is exemplary and occasionally it seems he can't be bothered. I just think he's disorganised, overwhelmed or both but if you get through his brushes are worth it.

Northam Saint said:
jb74 said:

Wasn't there a whisper that Lee had trouble in the past with animal rights people?

They obviously have an opinion, but I use to work with someone who was pro hunting. He regularly had animal bodies left on his door step, damage to property and intimidation from anti hunt people. Things can get rather rough and I can see why you wouldn't want to attract that to your business. Makes me wonder if Simpsons ever experience this type of thing.

Jeez, that's quite shocking and would explain things. What can I say... only in Britain!

Jpshaver said:
That does make you wander if thats why he keeps things close- maybe he filters emails.

Well, I've fired him an email (and mentioned TSR) so will update if and when he gets back to me

Jason

Cool, be interested to hear how you get on. Thanks

Interesting point about animal rights. It's why I don't seek local publicity for New Forest Brushes. Probably over sensitive because you can see Edwin Jagger badger brushes on sale in Lyndhurst High Street and the shop owner tells me they have never had any problems.

Fido said:
Interesting point about animal rights. It's why I don't seek local publicity for New Forest Brushes. Probably over sensitive because you can see Edwin Jagger badger brushes on sale in Lyndhurst High Street and the shop owner tells me they have never had any problems.

I don't blame you there is always one nutter that has to take things to an extreme. The person I worked with lived in Rownhams, and they had a dead fox left for them one morning.

I'm not sure if the Rooney brushes that Executive Shaving sold up until last year are the Sabini creations (does anyone know?) but my experience was woeful.

I bought 2 Rooneys, the first was an amazing performer and looker but it shed like you wouldn't believe (up to 30 hairs per shave) and the replacement was a skinny looking knot that looked like a bin end, that also sheds but at least to a lesser extent (maybe 4-10 hairs per shave). Couldn't be bothered sending the second back and I use it as a poor spare. Not Executive's fault.

Brian at ES said he wouldn't be dealing with the maker anymore as he'd been poor to deal with, and true enough they're no longer listed.

I think at that level you shouldn't be getting a 100% disappointment rate on more than one brush. I've always wanted a Morris and Forndran but if it's the same maker as my two Rooneys he can stick them. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom