morris and forndran

I was fancying a L7 brush the handle shape looks comfortable for bowl lathering.
I'm not really taken with modern handle designs been looking at shavemac but nothing like a L7 shape lovely brushes they are and beautiful knots.
I guess everyone's different in their likes and dislikes that's what makes the world go round :icon_wink:

Lots of delays for a start. On the other hand, some things are worth waiting for!

Mr_Smartepants said:
This is my new M&F brush found on the bay-of-E.
I'm not familiar with the different M&F types, anybody know what model it is? The listing showed it as a "Style 1/3".
knot is : 26 mm
handle is : 50 mm
loft is : 48 mm
IMG_20131220_151904.jpg

IMG_20131220_151922.jpg

M&F may not be connected with Rooney but your brush looks very much like this:

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=669&cat=170&page=1

Which is also a Rooney Style 1.

Truefitt & Hill's Wellington Brush is supposedly made by Rooney and Rooney is supposedly made by M&F.

So get yourself a Truefitt & Hill Wellington brush and pretend you have a M&F. It's a quite lovely brush and reasonably priced too (£55).

782sirbrian said:
Dipesh said:
Gairdner said:
Stick with Simpsons. Simples....

You don't know what your missing out on....

I guess we don't Dipesh but getting to the point of sale seems nearly impossible. Too much effort required for me :icon_rolleyes:

There is a lot of debate on a lot of forums about this, all I can say is just keep trying!

Once experienced and compared with other brands, you will see the difference between an excellent shaving brush and an exceptional shaving brush. Ymmv and all that but once you get in touch with Lee, he is an absolute gent and for me, makes the best brushes in the world.

Och, a neanderthal philistine, boar brush lover like me wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyhoo. D'yer reckon Ray Mears could track the fella?

I agree with you burgundy, for all the faff there seems to be around this guy's brushes I'd rather have another Thater. M+F knots look scraggy and thin in comparison, in fact they look identical to the Rooneys I've had, of which I know I've been vocal about before.

Too much cloak, smoke, mirrors, and I hesitate to say it but label focus. I've not yet seen a good looking knot on any of these brushes.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there Canuck.
I've got brushes from all the top brushmakers, Simpson's, Thater, Neep, Semogue, Shavemac to name but a few. My Sabini brushes are some of the best I own in terms of performance and build quality. The heritage hair and knot on my 2XL's are top notch.

It's just a damn shame Lee is so hard to get hold of.

I don't think we do Dipesh, Jamie's certainly looks good. The one on the previous page doesn't. I'll take a photo later of one of my Rooneys alongside one of my Thaters, and you'll see what I'm getting at better hopefully.

I think I've possibly just been extremely unlucky, but I've had two and they've both been dreadful. As I've said before I'm not the type to shell out on a third to find out if I get 3 out of 3 duffers, at that price range one dissapointing brush is enough.

Maybe my "Rooney" are not the same maker as Jamie's Rooney, who knows. This is why I say there is too much smoke and mirrors around these heritage brand names, lots of nods and winks, hints, airy half statements, partial truths, rumours, and more rumours... it doesn't make it a transparent process and I don't like blowing £150 plus on something I can't really pin down. Fido and Neep do things transparently and out in the open, Rooney and M+F aboslutely don't.

Back
Top Bottom