morris and forndran

Canuck said:
I don't think we do Dipesh, Jamie's certainly looks good. The one on the previous page doesn't. I'll take a photo later of one of my Rooneys alongside one of my Thaters, and you'll see what I'm getting at better hopefully.

I think I've possibly just been extremely unlucky, but I've had two and they've both been dreadful. As I've said before I'm not the type to shell out on a third to find out if I get 3 out of 3 duffers, at that price range one dissapointing brush is enough.

Maybe my "Rooney" are not the same maker as Jamie's Rooney, who knows. This is why I say there is too much smoke and mirrors around these heritage brand names, lots of nods and winks, hints, airy half statements, partial truths, rumours, and more rumours... it doesn't make it a transparent process and I don't like blowing £150 plus on something I can't really pin down. Fido and Neep do things transparently and out in the open, Rooney and M+F aboslutely don't.

I think you must divorce the relationship between Rooney and M&F Canuck.

The only Rooney brushes which I can directly compare are the Heritage brushes. All other ones are not in the same league as the M&F's. But that's not even a rule of thumb tbh, it can vary. Typically the ones with the swirly writing are more mass produced and not as nice as the Rooney in block writing. The block writing ones are comparable but even then, you shouldn't compare because Lee can make whatever you require with M&F.

Smoke, mirrors, winks? It's just the way Lee chooses to do business. Some like it, some don't. But it is his choice and he makes some amazing brushes. There's plenty of debate around this on the USA forums so no point going into that element any further.

I would assume the same as the other Rooney brushes?

They are different in feel though compared to the Rooney's which are mostly spoken about.

I see. I think. :icon_lol:

If it's the same maker I wouldn't have one, even the better ones. Some of the top end ones do look nice and he does make nice handles, but it's that twice bitten thing with me. I've had two Thater from Germany and been delighted with both so that's where my money would go. I'm pleased you got ten plus good ones!

Canuck said:
I see. I think. :icon_lol:

If it's the same maker I wouldn't have one, even the better ones. Some of the top end ones do look nice and he does make nice handles, but it's that twice bitten thing with me. I've had two Thater from Germany and been delighted with both so that's where my money would go. I'm pleased you got ten plus good ones!

I know what you mean Canuck. I've been feeling like that with another brand and refuse to buy new for many reasons.

But for sure, Lee makes M&F. Rooney is separate to this brand and I can't comment with the risk of saying something factually incorrect.

If you get the chance, try one. Not trying to enable or anything...

antdad said:
Seems like all the bad mouthing comes from those who don't own an M&F brush and have never dealt with Lee personally, enough said then.

"Enough said then" - explain that? All the bad mouthing... not sure about that assertion.

It's a well know fact that people have made an attempt to deal with the guy and have had their emails ignored.

Only one person has criticized the actual brushes.. everyone else would like to buy them.

Is it bad mouthing to say that you sent several emails and received no reply?

What does he do... convert your email address to ascii and check if the result is a prime number before deciding if he'll glady accept your order for a £200 brush?

Canuck said:
Antdad: Do you know whether Sabini makes all Rooney branded brushes? Genuine question.

I spoke to Lee a few times when he'e referred to "Rooney staff" and how he could complete my own M&F and the TSR brush order, reading between the lines I would say he doesn't or didn't make Rooney brushes although it is clear he still uses some of the same handle patterns and brush cannons (moulds).

Back
Top Bottom