S.O.T.D. Saturday 11th May to Friday 17th May 2013

EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ Badger
T and H No 10
D and G The 1 sport

First time using the T and H and its a great cream. Expected it to be earthier but it has a fresher feel than I thought. Can't quite put my finger on the scent, not so far as a citrussy but it seemed to be complimented by the 4711 splash.

Good Morning Gentlemen,

-Proraso Preshave
-Cadman & Sons, Bengall 13/16"
-Neil Miller Strop
-Simpsons The Commodore X3
-D.R. Harris Winsdor Soap
-D.R. Harris Winsdor After Shave Lotion

What a shave it was today! My new Neil Miller Strop is absolutely fantastic!

SOTD-17-05-2013-small.JPG

Friday

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
Proraso cream
New forest 1901
Lathered in my, new to me, old spice shaving mug (Thanks YorkNeil)
Merkur Progress (set at 3)
Gillette yellow blade(3)
Witch hazel gel
Proraso as
Nomad EDT (thanks to a close shave)

A good shave today and looking forward to, hopefully, settling a large business dispute today which will lead to a much more relaxed weekend!

Simon

Surrey shaving soap (vintage) (thanks Dodgy)
Henk walnut silvertip
Progress on 2, 5, 1.5
Schick Super Platinum (vintage)
D R Harris Windsor aftershave

Good shave but I've been finding it increasingly difficult to get a good ATG shave under my chin and most of the neck area to the right. This has always been a problem area but lately it seems as though it's getting worse. I know ATG isn't essential but it feels very rough and the sharpest blades drag or skip across it. May have to start using some pre-shave products (good excuse to investigate Mysrol perhaps??)

Prep face wash L'Occitane sandalwood soap
Razor Feather DX
Blade Feather Pro
Brush Bill Jack chubby 1.5 in Lignum vitae
G.F.T Coconut oil shaving cream
Alum & Witch hazel
Una Brennan neroli moisturiser
Guerlain vetiver Edt

Jamie.

A slick smooth and pretty much perfect two pass shave.

Greetings

Friday 17th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick L1
Blade: Gillette Twinjector NOS vintage
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Speick Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A super smooth finish but an awful shave.

Martin (Dodgy) very kindly sent me this razor and these blades from the states.
The very first stroke I nicked a mole on my cheek which throughout the rest of the shave bled profusely, the blood running down my cheek and dripping off my jaw! As the shave progressed along I managed to get three tiny weepers.

All of this is nothing whatsoever to do with the razor which is mild and easy to use and everything to do with these really weird blades and my heavy handed technique. These blades are really sharp but at the same time tug like mad, which I suspect may be caused by having two cutting edges only about 1mm apart, so double the friction in nearly the same area.

I suspect these blades were in their day very expensive to manufacture and perhaps that is why they did not survive. I will not give up but will come back to these after my mole has healed!

I must sound like a really ungrateful bugger but I am just not yet 'man enough' for these blades.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04317.JPG

I couldn't face the Ingram again today, so opted for a trusty friend.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
Razor: Gillette New with UFO2 handle
Blade: Gillette SuperThin
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

Lovely shave, nice to be back home in my own bathroom. :)

Friday:

LEA Mentolated cream
Semogue 2012 SE
#15 Aristocrat
7 o'clock Yellow
Witch Hazel
DR Harris Windsor AS

Very nice. I wanted to compare the LEA to the Ingram's. Both are very nice but I think I prefer the LEA. I think it has even more of a menthol kick than the Ingram's!

thursday night

Razor : Feather popular
Blade : Supermax Platinum
soap cream : RazoRock XXX
Brush : C&E Super Badger
splash : Old Spice whitewater

Hadn't shaved since Monday night so a good growth on there and the Feather supermax removed it quite easily. Really liking this razor a lot now. the final shave may not quite be BBS but the smoothness and comfort of the shaves with this cheap plastic razor are really quite enjoyable.

Friday xvii May, 2013

Prep: Hot shower, Arran Aromatics Peppermint and Eucalyptus Soap
Brush: Custom Neep
Soap: Dr Dittmar Speziale
Razor: Ikon 2PB
Blade: Voskhod #3
ASL: Floid "The Genuine"

572fb07b-1bdc-48d0-96b4-0dbedeb9349a_zps6e418375.jpg

Result: Breaking in this new Neep in preparation for a couple of significant upcoming performances. As ever the Dittmar delivers in spades. Voskhod and Ikon working well in tandem and all finished off with a lemony WH splash and some soothing Proraso. Floid to finish. Splendid.

All the best, gents.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Saturday 11th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop 1904
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Palmolive Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

My first shave with this newly acquired but my oldest razor. This model is I believe the first model that Valet/Autostrop made and is patented in Great Britain in 1904 and 1907. It is silver plated and shaves superbly albeit quite aggressively.

Scratched on the bottom of the nickel plated tin in which it came is:- A H Truman 3 Ox/Bucks Lt Infty. Which is the 3rd Battalion The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

A search on the internet reveals the razors original owner was a Second Lieutenant in this regiment and I have found mention of him in the seige of Kut during the First World War in Mesopotamia (today's Iraq) in 1916, fighting the Turks.

If only this razor could talk!

Best Regards
Dick

DSC04288.JPG

Dick,

That is a brilliant piece. I hadn't read it until just now, and in the interim I had created a thread about razors with provenance...

Jon

Afternoon, everyone.

Friday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle, shimmed
Blade: Super Max SS (7)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Arko stick
A/S: Yellow Ginger

Friday 17th May

sotd17513.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris cream scuttle lathered
Simpson 59 best badger brush
Gillette Old type OC
Polsilver super iridium (2)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Another fine shave from this old veteran razor. I have another Old type which has a faulty thread on the handle. My retired engineer friend has it in his workshop for repair. If it works out I may decide to get it a new silver overcoat. I like Norfolk Dick find the Old type a fine efficient razor.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom