S.O.T.D Saturday 29th June to Friday 5th July 2013

Tuesday 07-02-13. MUSIC: Lou Reed - New York (1989).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwpdvkMCIEE[/video]

ea877132-9a01-411b-9086-1c5e42909b4c.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran 25X53 blonde badger - Feather all stainless - Gillette 7 O'clock yellow #2 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Provence Santé - Alum block - Thayers Original Aloe - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Brummel.

Tuesday 2nd July

fk6q.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered (soap of the week)
Simpson POLO 8 best badger brush
Gillette 1948-50 Aristocrat
Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Another fine comfortable shave. A different razor and blade set up for tomorrows shave.

Brian

I just got my TFS Bergamotto Neroli hard soap last night, so I figured that I would give it a try this morning. I grated the soap into one of my Kingsley dark wood bowls. The soap felt like soft chalk or maybe hard crumbly cheese, but once it was grated was extremely pliable and soft enough to easily form into the bowl. The soap smelled less like the orange creamsicle that it's often described as, and a lot more like Fruit Loops cereal. I don't much care for the scent, but the lather was AMAZING! It was actually a much better lather than I get from the TFS soft soaps. My SRW did an excellent job with a fresh Lord Platinum blade and after a three pass wtg/atg/xtg shave I ended up with BBS skin, zero nicks, and only mild irritation on my neck.

Pre: Hot shower and warm water splash
Razor: Parker SRW
Blade: Lord Platinum
Brush: #6 Turkish Horsehair brush
Soap: TFS Bergamotto Neroli hard soap

[attachment=7779]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372777530079.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372777530079.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 29
Exapno said:
T&H No. 10 cream

After much enabling I bought the No.10. The performance seems ok but I'm not a fan of the scent... might have to PIF it.
I'm not really a fan either but you can, if you are so inclined, add a couple of drops of fragrance or essential oil and mix it in. I did it with some butterscotch FO (I have to get these crazy scent ideas out of my system) and it's very nice now (and even complements its original scent rather well IMHO)

Burgundy said:
Diptyque Philosykos edp

What sort of longevity do you get out of the Philosykos? Was tempted by it at the weekend as its a lovely scent for the warm weather but like a numpty I tried the solid which didn't have much staying power at all.

barlines said:
Burgundy said:
Diptyque Philosykos edp

What sort of longevity do you get out of the Philosykos? Was tempted by it at the weekend as its a lovely scent for the warm weather but like a numpty I tried the solid which didn't have much staying power at all.
I definitely get longer from the edp than the edt - and the character of the scent isn't changed by the higher concentration. I get about 6 hours from it, I'd say, by which point it fades to a skin scent until evening. And, yes, I've cut my frags down to three bottles plus a load of samples/decants - Philosykos is excellent for the summer and versatile enough for year round.

I almost cracked at the weekend when I saw they were back in stock!
[/quote]

The guy knows my hot button and presses it like a cheap pair of summer pants.

He thinks it's funny or something. How can people be that way? Totally foreign to my way of thinking.....

NotTheStig said:
Exapno said:
T&H No. 10 cream

After much enabling I bought the No.10. The performance seems ok but I'm not a fan of the scent... might have to PIF it.
I'm not really a fan either but you can, if you are so inclined, add a couple of drops of fragrance or essential oil and mix it in. I did it with some butterscotch FO (I have to get these crazy scent ideas out of my system) and it's very nice now (and even complements its original scent rather well IMHO)

I'm sorry...........butterscotch scent to shave by? Seriously? Heh, weird enough for you to even have this stuff, let alone mix it with another shaving product to 'improve' the fragrance. Yeah, I'm sure it was amazing........

NTS, you are a very strange man.

Tuesday ii June, 2013

Good evening, gentlemen

Prep: Hot shower, Savon de Provence Shea butter soap
Pre: Cold water splash
Soap: Tabac stick grated into a bowl
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger Turnback
Razor: Miraki straight with Miraki blade
Post: Alum, Thayers Medicated WH, Zirh post shave solution
ASL: Alpa Fougére

0d0521be7912e4a620d33dfd71d17bab_zps96c28025.jpg

Result: Ringing the changes this morning and moving away from my standard hotel shave. Miraki blade is keen and my technique with a straight style razor needs some work, but partnered with the wonderfully slippy and cushioning Tabac I had a great shave. More tomorrow. And, my, is the Fougére to my taste. Splendid.

All the best,

Jon

Hot shower
La Toja
Vie Long (what a tiny wee brush)
Feather AC SS + Pro-Guard blade (wtg)
Ever-Ready 1912 (xtg)
Arko Yagli Crem Classic
Steve's Barbershop Bay Rum
Mandate EDT

RESULT?

A definate BBS with not a single cut or bit of irritation. I am starting to really like combining different razors. I had 3 days growth and the Feather removed it without fuss, the E-R to tidied up nicely. The combination of the bay rum and Arko soothed the skin wonderfully and the Mandate topped it off beautifully.

Extra Hot Shower & 3P Cream
Semogue 1305
Windsor Shaving Soap
Gillette Tech
Yellow 7 o'clock (1)
Witch Hazel
Paco Rabanne XS AS
Arlington Aftershave Milk

Really surprised how well the Tech did on its first attempt, I am not sure if it is a Fat or Thin handled Tech though.

Tuesday 2nd July

Prep: Hot shower.
Brush: Omega 10065.
Cream: TOBS Rose face lathered.
Razor: EJ89.
Blade: Gillette Super Thin- single shim.

Very nice shave. First ever use of this blade, and it didn't seem as efficient on the first pass as the Rapira swedes, or Sputniks, but a very comfortable, smooth, 2 pass shave. I think my face may be pretty good with all blades now it's used to DE shaving, as since my technique has improved I haven't had an awful shave with any blade. I'll try an Astra SP soon, as they were the blades which first gave me problems, despite being pretty good when I started. That will be the real test. I seem to have coped well with cheap blades, like the Blue Diamonds, even though they do have a VERY mixed review, I'm a fan and it is good where my wallet is concerned too!

It was nice to use the Sierran Breeze again, too. I wish I'd used a balm afterwards though, as my face was pretty dry, but I simply forgot. But, a very good shave :)

Tall_Paul said:
MONDAY EVENING

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Kai Excelia
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Neep Malachite Aztec
Cream: GFT Coconut cream - scuttle lathered

There is definitely a huge difference between this and my CJB kamisori. The Kai is so much more forgiving and, I would say, a much more precision instrument. Of course it is also hugely more expensive, but I think this is a case where it's worth it.

As I thought, my blade was on the way out. However, I really felt it with the CJB and with the Kai I just experienced a bit of tugging.

I will give the CJB another go, but it might be time to pass it on.

The Neep is as excellent as my other two.

And another very good three pass shave. Not BBS but getting towards it.

The Kai is a great razor with stunning looks. Time to give mine an airing I think.

Jon

Re: RE: S.O.T.D Saturday 29th June to Friday 5th July 2013

dodgy said:
I almost cracked at the weekend when I saw they were back in stock!

The guy knows my hot button and presses it like a cheap pair of summer pants.

He thinks it's funny or something. How can people be that way? Totally foreign to my way of thinking.....

NotTheStig said:
Exapno said:
T&H No. 10 cream

I'm sorry...........butterscotch scent to shave by? Seriously? Heh, weird enough for you to even have this stuff, let alone mix it with another shaving product to 'improve' the fragrance. Yeah, I'm sure it was amazing........

NTS, you are a very strange man.
[/quote]

I try these things so others don't have to! You may have seen my posts a month or so back on the two home made aftershaves I knocked together: 1) Cedarwood, neroli and ambergris and 2) Cedarwood and cola. The second one is really nice. The first one is too sickly sweet. I have some star anise which I could add to number 1. That may help...

Back
Top Bottom