S.O.T.D. Saturday 9th June to Friday 14th June 2013 ...

Sm304 said:
John said:
Todays shave

GEM Micromatic OC (The Viper)
GEM Blade
Kent BK8 Brush
NSS Cedarwood & Vetyver
Blue Stratos Aftershave Splash

Man It's good to revisit this razor from time to time, and boy am I out of practice with it.
Still archived a BSS, but with a few weepers, and that's just how this razor rolls, take your mind off the job for a millisecond "ouch"

I've used mine once and I didn't call it The Viper, mine is simply called The Devil!

Scott.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Hi Scott yeh these oc micromatic's are unforgiving all right, they only give a small warning before it bites your face off, my one tells a tale of sorrow, about the chap that originally brought my razor, some guy in the USA, I don't things went well for him,the 2 original supplied blades were still with the razor one used, the other not, he probably went in the bathroom blurry eyed in the morning and hacked his face up, and never bothered to retry. I notice the other GEM Razors got more refined as time went by pretty useable and relaxing when compared to the Viper.......Martin could borrow it just to say he's given a tea tray a bash :idea:

Decided to see what the fuss was about with cold water shaving this morning. Turns out I really needed it as the bloody cat has been sleeping on the bed again! I woke up with puffy eyes, blocked nose and a scratchy throat.

Proraso pre
Proraso Green soap
Vulfix bodger
Rocket TV
Med Prep
Cold water rinse
Old Spice

A very comfortable shave despite the strange feeling of cold water. Going to continue with the cold water for a weeks or so and see how it goes. Very refreshing in the morning when combined with the Proraso and just what I needed to wake me up.

Monday, June 10th

I did a superlather of Klar Kabinett and Kiss My Face Key Lime, partly because I wanted to use up the last of the Klar sample that was given to me and partly because I wanted to find a way to enjoy this soap. Following a quick application of The Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp preshave gel I decided to face lather for a change, which I actually really enjoyed. My Parker SRW did its usual awesome job using my all time favorite blade, and I managed a baby butt smooth shave with zero nicks and zero irritation. I'm still not a big fan of Klar, but I think I've found a good way to use up my sample and still enjoy the results.

I'll be using this set up for the rest of the week with one small addition. I just received my package from Connaught Shaving with a couple of SAL alum sticks in it, so I will be adding in an application of alum to my post shave. I may also switch out my Parker SRW for the SR1, but they are so similar that this is not much of a change.

Pre: AoS Ocean Kelp Preshave gel
Razor: Parker SRW
Blade: SuperMax Titanium
Brush: Vulfix 376S Super Badger
Soap: Superlather of Klar Kabinett & KMF Key Lime

[attachment=7542]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370930629544.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370930629544.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 15
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave (sensitive)
Soap: Tabac stick
Brush: Muhle 'HJM' Synthetic
Razor: Merkur Slant 37c
Blade: Rapira SS (2)
After: Superdrug Sierran Breeze AS, Coral Skin Food, Tabac ASB

...and I go back to, Tabac.
Wonderful Tabac, faultless performance and I think I'll take my synthetic brush for my holidays as it's so easy to use and dry.
Another excellent 'Ninja in the night' shave from the Slant.
BBS

Tuesday xi June, 2013

Prep: Hot shower, triple milled soap
Pre: Cold water splash
Soap: La Toja/Palmolive Frankensoap
Brush: Kent Infinity Silvertex Synthetic
Razor: Merkur 46C travel razor
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver Stainless #4
ASL: Penhaligon's Endymion

Result: A great shave, smooth, comfortable, slick. Last post for a while - holiday tomorrow. Have a great couple of weeks gents. Looking forward to catching up with all your adventures on my return.

Jon

Tuesday:

Arko
Semogue 2012 SE
Gem Clog Pruf
Gem blade
Professor Blighty's Green Ginger AS
Nivea Anti-irritation ASB

Great lather from the Arko, nice shave, BBS results.

Tuesday morning

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
Proraso cream
new Forest 1901
Muhle R41
Astra green (3)
Alum/ witch hazel gel
Blue Stratos after shave

Received the R41 from Jamie yesterday, despite its bad reputation for blood letting, I achieved a very good result on first use. I was really careful and slow and can see why you need to concentrate when using. Used astra green from another razor and third use so. Didn't have a very sharp blade, but I think. Would have go a better result from a sharper blade. Way blade to use tomorrow......?

Simon

Monday 10th June

Prep: Hot bath, dove men+care face scrub.
Brush: NF 2213 48mm loft.
Cream: Bodyshop maca root- face lathered.
Razor: Old type copy
Blade: Lord Super Chrome (3ish)

Lovely 2 pass shave. Plenty of lather from the maca root as always, and it left my skin feeling so soft afterwards. Opened up the slice I made on my chin with the shavette on Sunday, but no nicks apart from that, if it counts. This brush is getting better and better for me, and I've discovered I really like this open comb razor. Perfect aggressiveness, and it gives a lovely shave every time. The blade is really smooth, and I fancy taking this one to the death, and seeing how many shaves I can get. Very pleased.

2-piece Old
Rapira (1)
Palmolive Cream
Butterscotch Boots branded Rooney
Aqua Balsamica
Cella Classica

A lovely 2 pass shave. The Old is giving really smooth, close shaves at the moment; apart from under the chin and the upstroke on my neck which are still a little draggy. Slight change in angle needed I think.

Tuesday

Prep: Hot Towels and Barbershop Shaving Oil
Soap: BB's MWF
Brush: Chubby 1 Super lathered in Woodhead #1 Scuttle
Razor (1): CJB Kamisori with CJB Blade
Razor (2): iKon OSS with Gillette Silver Blue Stainless

First full shave with the Kamisori (just been cheeks up to now!). Much happier and got a goof first pass. Still finding upper lip and chin a bit tricky and nicked myself three times. Still, very happy with it. Finished off with two passes of the OSS - one OC and one CC. Maybe not quite BBS but still a damned good and very satisfying shave. Loving the MWF with the Chubby 1!

David

Prep face wash L'Occitane sandalwood soap
Razor Orion Kikuboshi half hollow 13/16
Strop Kanayama cordovan #8000
Brush Semogue 2012 special Boar & Badger mix
Cella creme da barba
Alum & Thayers witch hazel rose & aloe toner
Kiehl's aftershave balm
Guerlain vetiver Edt

An extremely smooth top notch shave from the Orion Kikuboshi.

d76690e3-58c2-4a8f-91b4-d0727bea92c8_zps7eff9c51.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
'Webly'/Tungsten Personna 74 (NOS)
Klar Kabinett SS (I need to order more while it's still around)
Neutrogena oil free moisture
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT (old juice)

This rose scented soap really is one hell of a deal for the amount you get and how it performs. My only soap/cream in the rotation with that fragrance.

BBS results,

Martin

TOBS Jermyn street sensitive shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip
Progress on 2, 5 with Winn Dixie blade (2)
4711 a/s

These blades seem to work best with a light touch on a high setting.

Nancy Boy 'Signature' shave cream
MÜHLE Silvertip Fibre
Feather portable
Ladas super stainless
Nivea 'sensitive' post shave balm

Meh. A few nicks, first time with the Ladas and I'm not impressed. I like the portable's head but I need to do something about the handle, it's way too short. Usable but not comfortable. The nivea was on offer at the supermarket, not bad performance especially for the price. Almost out of the signature cream, to date NB have been the only creams I've replaced.

Back
Top Bottom