Saturday 10rd - Friday 16nd December 2022.

SOTD 13-Dec
20221213_090714.jpg
Brush: DG B15
Soap: NO 'Tis The Season
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: GEM PTFE

Decent shave this morning, well worn in blade with the highly manoeuvrable sabre. Nice smooth finish with zero irritation. There's only one thing I would like to see with the sabre and that would be an OC plate. Sadly can't see that happening but can hope!

Hope everyone has had a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

hcn0tt0.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: Cella Extra Bio
Razor: Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Perma Sharp (4)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Cella Aftershave Lotion

The Face Off…

E3CB6F26-5823-4A5A-946D-7C3629B76372.jpeg
SOTD: 13/12/2022

Razor: Blackland Vector & Yaqi Excalibur
Blade: Feather Pro, 6th use and Feather Pro 3rd use
Brush: AP Shave Co. Lemon Drop G5A
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C White Star Southern Comfort Puck
Balm: PAA Star Jelly Astra Planeta Balm

So today I was feeling a little bit bored and fancied a challenge and comparison. The Vector vs its clone the Excalibur, I’m sure this comparison has been done countless times before but I’ve been wanting to see how they compare. Now although I can definitely see the similarities, I think it’s arguably less obvious design wise than the countless EJ89 head direct copies out there. The Excalibur head is slightly taller, goes further back and all the edges possibly softer and rounder than the Vectors more slim and angular head.
The first pass was easily a win for the Vector which had a more well used Feather Pro in it, the Excalibur was unusually more sharper but I think this was as my own poor technique in rushing it’s first half pass.
The Second and Third pass both were much more balanced, if anything the Excalibur felt marginally more comfortable and smooth. The Vector does feel like the more precise and agile of the two razors but the results in the shaves were almost identical, both BBS glass smooth. The Excalibur definitely punches above its weight and the differences are so tight and slim that it’s hard to call which is the better shave.
The Vector probably edges it in its originality and how clinical it is but the Excalibur is a slightly milder, softer shave that gets near identical results. Do I need to keep both? Probably not. Will I keep both? Probably I love the little Yaqi and the great little Stando handle I got for it.
On a side not the basic HC&C white star base is nearly as good as the original more premium. A lighter, slightly more airy lather at first but when you persist it just produces an excellent slick, thick cream that’s amazing. I’ve a cold so can barely smell anything, but the slight smell I have, found the sweet bourbon and tobacco scent just amazing and arguably just as good or better than the dupes I’ve tried so far.
All the best guys.

Tuesday 13th December

AL9nZEU_nUsmmkXq2fbJoAzDUce9u3gl_sxDeNUClsRC3vo9B1qoRYdL3Nt99BaibrSGyWKfPHZZuxPKH_l1jOCSt_pSNLa7h_-3hRYSFXETzV_qQqGokcUgFHaDwazjqeES1UjSE9GyU7u3RnPH8R3FLaZERA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Martin de Candre Rose Shaving Soap & Omega 10098 (White) 25mm Boar
Stahly Live Blade & Treet 7 Days Platinum (2)
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (as Aftershave)

Gosh! What a lot of fun!

When I first came to traditional shaving circa 2013, I recall there was some chatter about the Stahly razors and it seemed the thing to have at the time. It was generally sold for more than I thought (then) was reasonable for a vintage razor and so it passed me by. Here I am a decade on and just happened upon one, so put a bid on ... and it became mine.

The shave is super-smooth, by which I think most folks would say super-mild. Paired with a sharp blade like the Treet 7 Days Platinum, it is very safe. Once wound up, just shave as normal and because there is so little audible feedback that can be heard over the whirring you have to take it a little on faith that it's doing its thing. Sure enough, my first pass was very clean. I did have to wind it up maybe four or five times which is a tad tedious ... and so swapped onto an alternative handle for a second pass, largely to glean an opinion of it without that gigantic generator attached to the head. In use, holding it by the bulbous pommel was certainly the right thing to do and the angle, while very slight, can be found really very easily. Like the Star razor, you find the angle from the cap and I think that's a pretty good analogy; like the Star razor, it is so well tweaked up that the blade is perfectly balanced on that fine line between too little and unnecessary exposure.

For a second pass, which there were two areas on my neck that the first pass didn't quite grab, I picked the Razorock Radio Knob handle which has some likeness in the slightly bulbous pommel. Again, held by that pommel the angle could be found and this time got a better sense of how it was shaving. I think another shave with this and it'll be far more instinctual. First go, though ... top notch shave and I clicked with it immediately.

AL9nZEWwOpOht__7_eUmwECi86_PQp8dbRAoeTaXrRaZA8x729J5C3mzcYUaH3dYiBZm2J9qNA5HL7OT6X4nb9iDh9JU1w52FVWq_GtmG_KjPDuqM5DXhODkOIsMquy_-z3QiK77UvSax1_DS_ORjw6l5hwAbQ=s800

Longer term, I think it'll see more use on the Razorock handle ...

AL9nZEXBLYAPIVleWXEfrGgfPPkAlY87PVr7yJRrFoC8mq7DHRJvC3BGCjnibB_W9ejsKzKuzaSDMKUKeb4YBUgtM673jMh7hyBmHm5ergWEDJZ3sS6Y4KInh6FuIvoJsTVE2B2hhdbVEUfr5dVI3bKUdymOzA=s400

Last edited:
Tuesday 13th December

AL9nZEU_nUsmmkXq2fbJoAzDUce9u3gl_sxDeNUClsRC3vo9B1qoRYdL3Nt99BaibrSGyWKfPHZZuxPKH_l1jOCSt_pSNLa7h_-3hRYSFXETzV_qQqGokcUgFHaDwazjqeES1UjSE9GyU7u3RnPH8R3FLaZERA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Martin de Candre Rose Shaving Soap & Omega 10098 (White) 25mm Boar
Stahly Live Blade & Treet 7 Days Platinum (2)
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (as Aftershave)

Gosh! What a lot of fun!

When I first came to traditional shaving circa 2013, I recall there was some chatter about the Stahly razors and it seemed the thing to have at the time. It was generally sold for more than I thought (then) was reasonable for a vintage razor and so it passed me by. Here I am a decade on and just happened upon one, so put a bid on ... and it became mine.

The shave is super-smooth, by which I think most folks would say super-mild. Paired with a sharp blade like the Treet 7 Days Platinum, it is very safe. Once wound up, just shave as normal and because there is so little audible feedback that can be heard over the whirring you have to take it a little on faith that it's doing its thing. Sure enough, my first pass was very clean. I did have to wind it up maybe four or five times which is a tad tedious ... and so swapped onto an alternative handle for a second pass, largely to glean an opinion of it without that gigantic generator attached to the head. In use, holding it by the bulbous pommel was certainly the right thing to do and the angle, while very slight, can be found really very easily. Like the Star razor, you find the angle from the cap and I think that's a pretty good analogy; like the Star razor, it is so well tweaked up that the blade is perfectly balanced on that fine line between too little and unnecessary exposure.

For a second pass, which there were two areas on my neck that the first pass didn't quite grab, I picked the Razorock Radio Knob handle which has some likeness in the slightly bulbous pommel. Again, held by that pommel the angle could be found and this time got a better sense of how it was shaving. I think another shave with this and it'll be far more instinctual. First go, though ... top notch shave and I clicked with it immediately.

AL9nZEWwOpOht__7_eUmwECi86_PQp8dbRAoeTaXrRaZA8x729J5C3mzcYUaH3dYiBZm2J9qNA5HL7OT6X4nb9iDh9JU1w52FVWq_GtmG_KjPDuqM5DXhODkOIsMquy_-z3QiK77UvSax1_DS_ORjw6l5hwAbQ=s800

Longer term, I think it'll see more use on the Razorock handle ...

AL9nZEXBLYAPIVleWXEfrGgfPPkAlY87PVr7yJRrFoC8mq7DHRJvC3BGCjnibB_W9ejsKzKuzaSDMKUKeb4YBUgtM673jMh7hyBmHm5ergWEDJZ3sS6Y4KInh6FuIvoJsTVE2B2hhdbVEUfr5dVI3bKUdymOzA=s400
Try a baton handle.

Back
Top Bottom