Saturday 10rd - Friday 16nd December 2022.

Tuesday 13th December

AL9nZEU_nUsmmkXq2fbJoAzDUce9u3gl_sxDeNUClsRC3vo9B1qoRYdL3Nt99BaibrSGyWKfPHZZuxPKH_l1jOCSt_pSNLa7h_-3hRYSFXETzV_qQqGokcUgFHaDwazjqeES1UjSE9GyU7u3RnPH8R3FLaZERA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Martin de Candre Rose Shaving Soap & Omega 10098 (White) 25mm Boar
Stahly Live Blade & Treet 7 Days Platinum (2)
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (as Aftershave)

Gosh! What a lot of fun!

When I first came to traditional shaving circa 2013, I recall there was some chatter about the Stahly razors and it seemed the thing to have at the time. It was generally sold for more than I thought (then) was reasonable for a vintage razor and so it passed me by. Here I am a decade on and just happened upon one, so put a bid on ... and it became mine.

The shave is super-smooth, by which I think most folks would say super-mild. Paired with a sharp blade like the Treet 7 Days Platinum, it is very safe. Once wound up, just shave as normal and because there is so little audible feedback that can be heard over the whirring you have to take it a little on faith that it's doing its thing. Sure enough, my first pass was very clean. I did have to wind it up maybe four or five times which is a tad tedious ... and so swapped onto an alternative handle for a second pass, largely to glean an opinion of it without that gigantic generator attached to the head. In use, holding it by the bulbous pommel was certainly the right thing to do and the angle, while very slight, can be found really very easily. Like the Star razor, you find the angle from the cap and I think that's a pretty good analogy; like the Star razor, it is so well tweaked up that the blade is perfectly balanced on that fine line between too little and unnecessary exposure.

For a second pass, which there were two areas on my neck that the first pass didn't quite grab, I picked the Razorock Radio Knob handle which has some likeness in the slightly bulbous pommel. Again, held by that pommel the angle could be found and this time got a better sense of how it was shaving. I think another shave with this and it'll be far more instinctual. First go, though ... top notch shave and I clicked with it immediately.

AL9nZEWwOpOht__7_eUmwECi86_PQp8dbRAoeTaXrRaZA8x729J5C3mzcYUaH3dYiBZm2J9qNA5HL7OT6X4nb9iDh9JU1w52FVWq_GtmG_KjPDuqM5DXhODkOIsMquy_-z3QiK77UvSax1_DS_ORjw6l5hwAbQ=s800

Longer term, I think it'll see more use on the Razorock handle ...

AL9nZEXBLYAPIVleWXEfrGgfPPkAlY87PVr7yJRrFoC8mq7DHRJvC3BGCjnibB_W9ejsKzKuzaSDMKUKeb4YBUgtM673jMh7hyBmHm5ergWEDJZ3sS6Y4KInh6FuIvoJsTVE2B2hhdbVEUfr5dVI3bKUdymOzA=s400
You’re ‘avin a wind up ain’t ya mate? :rolleyes:

SOTD 14-Dec
20221213_090938.jpg
Brush: C&H 'Manga'
Soap: Black Watch
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: GSB (2)

Decent shave, nice easy two pass accompanied by the black watch set. It's a winner in terms of scent, the only thing I want is alcohol in my splash. Such a shame I can't get my grubby mitts on it, ah well the Tonic does the job well enough and carries a decent amount of scent with it as well.

Hope everyone has a cracking day.

Cheers

Marc

Last night's shave:

Prep: ESC pre shave oil mixed with Proraso sensitive pre shave cream
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic
Razor: Alpha Claymore Evolution
Blade: Feather Pro Guard (1)
Cream: ESC Fragrance free
PS 1: Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal

Still not getting on that well with this razor, although the Pro Guard is the best blade I've found for it. Two passes for a close but mildly irritated finish.

SOTD: 14/12/2022

Razor: Blackland Vector Titanium
Blade: KAI Captain Protouch MG, 5th use
Brush: Razorock Italian Barber Synthetic
Bowl: Face Lather
Soap: La Toja Stick
Aftershave: Fine Barber Blue Aftershave
Balm: Proraso Blue Balm
Additional Care: Shave Music Courtesy Of Fleetwood Mac
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

First go with a La Toja shave stick. Really good actually, for me quicker and easier to lather than Arko (smells better too). Two sticks for under a fiver is great value as well.

7978DD40-8755-4653-9AD7-662319CF2CD3.jpeg

Wednesday 14
"Golden Brown"
Pre: wash with La Toja Magno
Brush: Omega Ovangkol wood boar
Soap: Officina Artigiana Milano
Razor: '64 Gillette Slim) #5)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock SP (1)
EdT: Zara #Tobacco Collection Intense/Dark/Addictive

This should have been a cracking shave, somehow some user error must have crept in. My thoughts are insufficient hydration. I had a huge ice-cream of soap on the brush but the usual slickness was missing. I had prepped well enough I thought, but it's the first time with these blades, I wasn't thinking much about the soap, the blade felt slightly tuggy and I ended up with a few red bits. Nothing a rinse and a bit of bio oil can't fix, but less comfortable than I expected. Very close result though tbf.
20221214_075610.jpg

14/12/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Gillette Tech Travel Grooming set Tan
Blade - Vintage Perma-sharp Supreme
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Cedarwood and Patchouli Argan Oil and Balm
A/S - Body Shop Arber EDT
Wk 50 (5a).JPGWk 50 (5).JPG
Great Set, fantastic lather and an undeniable stalwart in the razor dept - the Mighty Tech.
3 Passes for a very comfortable, smooth, BBS finish.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Yesterday's shave and themed, 'God bless hangovers'

20221213_180541.jpg

Hungdog millionaire - Muhle R89
Kebabstronaut - Super Max
Rough as a badger's arse - Highlander 26mm Cashmere
Zombied - ADP Collezione Barbierre
Shane McGowanism - YSL Homme

'No, don't even look at me, no, no, ah bollocks you looked!'

A good night out with big Rob998 last night and well overdue, but it is Christmas after all.

At least I managed to get a damn good shave in beforehand and a return to the R89 with the Super Max after being so impressed the previous evening. And I remain equally as impressed. A great showing from the Highlander meets ADP.

Altogether a great hassle free shave and at least I was in a good position to dribble down a clean smooth chin later in the evening.

Just what the doctor ordered this morning and the world needs some Beaver......all 18 minutes of them.

Whatever happened to Yoyoyoshie's Signature Gibson SG?

14 December, 2022

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Rockwell 6S – #3
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra
Brush: Brad Sears Archduke 26/50 2-Band Manchurian
Soap: Westman Shaving: Mazagran
Fragrance: Atman Xaman Eau de Parfum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Another new soap that didn't fail to satisfy.. the only downside to this shave was that I pushed the blade one shave too many, but the Mazagran handled it like a champ to be honest.. plentiful lather, great glide and protection, and a lovely post shave feel. Yeah, couldn't fault it.

Back
Top Bottom