Saturday 10rd - Friday 16nd December 2022.

14th December

Picked up an old type “made in USA” Gillette open comb in almost unused condition apart from a split along the complete length of the handle sleeve. The razor’s gold coating is unblemished as is the blade box containing some wrapped unused early Gillette blades with 2180 stamp. I was wondering if the razor had been relegated to the cupboard very early on in its life after the first owner split the handle by over tightening. I decided against taking drastic action to fix the split but gave the handle a tight wrapping of Polimide Kapton tape which just happens to be gold in colour. I tried to check date but there are no serial numbers or “pat. app.” stamp on the razor, although the model and head looks “old type” to me, so pre 1920. Any views on this would be most welcome guys!
Gillette standard brush with synthetic re knot smoothly applied the Glasgow Soap Co. Bay Rum soap which I had decanted into vintage pot. I’ve grown to like this soap and it’s distinctive scent is a favourite.
Two passes with PolSilver Super Iridium blade, wtg, atg, plus pick ups delivered a very smooth and satisfying result.
Have a great day fellas!

E1523271-29E2-46E2-ACAB-3359E11FE3E4.jpeg

14/12/22

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Brush - Yaqi 23mm G5
Soap - Vitos Red Coco
Razor - Gillette New
Blade - Gillette Minora Stainless (4)
Post - Lea Balm
AS - Old Spice

It was my first time using my new Yaqi G5 style synth, and before I used the brush it was stood next to my Zenith Euro X, and both brushes looked a little similar in their dimensions. Both brushes have 23mm wide knots, and lofts around the 58mm height, and handles that aren't a million miles apart. The Zenith Euro X is one of my favourite brushes, and I had quite high expectations for the new Yaqi but in the shave I was a little disappointed. The face feel of the tips are reasonably soft, and the loft itself was near enough perfect but I found the G5 style fibres which even though they look like the Plissoft style ones Yaqi use, as a knot this particular G5 felt quite stiff on the face and it seems to spring back into position when it is being splayed on the face. It seems to be great at making a lather though.
Nice shave with the Minora Stainless in the Gillette New though.

Have a good day gents.

IMG_20221214_121006.jpg

14th December

Picked up an old type “made in USA” Gillette open comb in almost unused condition apart from a split along the complete length of the handle sleeve. The razor’s gold coating is unblemished as is the blade box containing some wrapped unused early Gillette blades with 2180 stamp. I was wondering if the razor had been relegated to the cupboard very early on in its life after the first owner split the handle by over tightening. I decided against taking drastic action to fix the split but gave the handle a tight wrapping of Polimide Kapton tape which just happens to be gold in colour. I tried to check date but there are no serial numbers or “pat. app.” stamp on the razor, although the model and head looks “old type” to me, so pre 1920. Any views on this would be most welcome guys!
Gillette standard brush with synthetic re knot smoothly applied the Glasgow Soap Co. Bay Rum soap which I had decanted into vintage pot. I’ve grown to like this soap and it’s distinctive scent is a favourite.
Two passes with PolSilver Super Iridium blade, wtg, atg, plus pick ups delivered a very smooth and satisfying result.
Have a great day fellas!

View attachment 97510
Single Ring from the '20's, fantastic razor! @'21-'28 had no serial numbers, it's the "thick cap" OLD.

14th December

Have a great day fellas!

View attachment 97510
1921-1928%20Old%20Type%20Set.JPG

Single Ring from the '20's, fantastic razor! @'21-'28 had no serial numbers, it's the "thick cap" OLD.
Thanks @TobyC, I did wonder if it might be a single ring but lack of serial number made me doubt it. Paid a lot less for it than was being asked as it had the split and didn’t expect to get it with my cheeky offer. It delivers a really smooth and close shave with ease as Gillettes of that era generally do. The split doesn’t detract from its performance and is (for me) only a cosmetic issue. Mind you it must have received quite a tweak to tighten it and split the case end to end. Owned by a gorilla maybe? :unsure:

Wednesday 14th December

AL9nZEWgRpfPcdStC-z_YDuGpdLMROGuKngh6R73onI6TC0kaPcjEGfu-hy2tTcUfCYEwCxSbLNZ1l9nMWobN91Z4QazoOuUdfeIQhZM3MR_EF8IkVCnlzXx-N56hi8IIgolNpgAXE6XfI0ZMbKNIZyDqiqwXA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Hampshire Wool Fat Shaving Soap & Omega 10098 (White) 25mm Boar
Merkur 15C & Treet 7 Days Platinum (3)
Pinaud Clubman Original Aftershave Lotion

I'm finding that what you might term mild razors with a sharp blade really suit me. Smashing shave from this Merkur.

... and the joy of opening a fresh bottle of Clubman.

Sotd-14-12-22.png

Rockwell - plate 3 - on an Executive Shaving stainless steel handle. A standard reference razor for me - so good it ends up boring? Vintage blade test ahoy! What are these? Nineteen sixties or seventies? That's a quality dispenser. Against the run of play - the Simpson Trafalgar synth with proper old-school D R Harris Marlborough triple-milled. Floid mentally vigorous and balm. Dry cold? I reach for a balm at this time of year. I'm looking for comfort and longevity from these blades - 'golden era' as they are. My base reference is the Aussie Spoiler - easily 20+ shaves comfortably. To be honest - the first pass was awful - it got better quickly. Maybe some crap on the blade edge or dispenser after all those years unused? Should you wipe the things with alcohol or Barbacide? After that - they became excellent - immediately. In for the long haul - shave well all - I.

Thanks @TobyC, I did wonder if it might be a single ring but lack of serial number made me doubt it. Paid a lot less for it than was being asked as it had the split and didn’t expect to get it with my cheeky offer. It delivers a really smooth and close shave with ease as Gillettes of that era generally do. The split doesn’t detract from its performance and is (for me) only a cosmetic issue. Mind you it must have received quite a tweak to tighten it and split the case end to end. Owned by a gorilla maybe? :unsure:
Nah, thin brass just gives up after a hundred years, old rifle cartridges do it too.

Back
Top Bottom