Decemboar 21st 2022

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Brush - Zenith Euro X
Soap - MWF/Kent
Razor - Gillette New
Blade - Personna Lab Blue (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Barbon

I've not used a Lab Blue in a while, and it was very smooth but efficient in the Gillette New. I finished the shave with a few splashes of Barbon, which is supposed to cost a euro or so in Hungary but seems to be tricky to get hold off in the UK now, but if it wasn't I'd use this glorious splash all the time!

Have a good day gents.

Also, it's the Winter Solstice. Days will be getting longer from tomorrow!

IMG_20221221_122536.jpg

Last edited:
R41 on iKon Bulldog | Lord Platinum | Hand-carved Marbled Beech | Signature Soaps Britannia | Benjamin’s Bay Rum
DD584773-1573-480A-97F3-3643854E1290.jpeg

I wasn’t going to shave today as I had a goodly rasp some 24 hours prior. However, a certain R41 head landed on the old doormat. After opening the package, Mr R41 kept winking at me, saying, “Go on you know you want to.” So I did.

Surprisingly, twas’nt as aggressive as I feared and at no point during the shave did I think I may cut/nick myself. That’s said there’s lots of blade feel and I did temper things somewhat by utilising a Lord Platinum which I find to be a milder and very smooth blade.

Additionally, I felt I had to go with the best soap in my meagre arsenal so it had be Signature Britannia. Nothing else would doodle do.

Results were surprisingly good and I needed no balm after the Benjamin of cheap rum fame did his stuff. Not sure I could continue with it as a daily driver but it’s a damn fine razor which has probably been tweaked several times since it was dialled down in 2013.

Matron certainly likes his ferocious looks. “Those teeth!”, she cried with that wanton abandon shining in her eyes. She may have found a new skin peeler so I’ll have to try and hide it somehere. And no, not there as cavity searches are regular. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace….

Finally, a huge thanks to Dan aka @ATG who loaned me this iconic razor head. Top man.

PXL_20221221_160007513.jpg
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Unknown shaving brush
Flying Eagle pink and yellow
Gillette US Aristocrat (I think - memory is weak)
Ackay tobacco cologne

I've had those Flying Eagle blades (which are silver coloured metal but I'm sure I've seen black ones) for I don't know how long, and can't recall shaving with one. Certainly no entry on the blade spreadsheet.
Starts off a little scrape but not unpleasant. Seems to get fairly close but not amazing. Doesn't seem to irritate if I go over the same area several times.
Will see how many shaves I can get from it then put it on the spreadsheet.

If anyone can tell from my crap photo if the name of the razor is incorrect or incomplete please let me know.

Wednesday

Will be switching to a different razor tomorrow, although I don't know if it was just some sort of spot (mid 50s is no reason to not get them!) that I removed, or whether the blade has had it and it was just a rough stroke!

P&B Right Handed Giant was whipped into a very creamy lather by the C&H Locale brush

Anyhow, sorted the tiny weeper and splashed on a bit of Brut.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_153629__01.jpg
    IMG_20221221_153629__01.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 10
View attachment 97791
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Unknown shaving brush
Flying Eagle pink and yellow
Gillette US Aristocrat (I think - memory is weak)
Ackay tobacco cologne

I've had those Flying Eagle blades (which are silver coloured metal but I'm sure I've seen black ones) for I don't know how long, and can't recall shaving with one. Certainly no entry on the blade spreadsheet.
Starts off a little scrape but not unpleasant. Seems to get fairly close but not amazing. Doesn't seem to irritate if I go over the same area several times.
Will see how many shaves I can get from it then put it on the spreadsheet.

If anyone can tell from my crap photo if the name of the razor is incorrect or incomplete please let me know.
Looks like this one:

9433A629-7C78-41AC-AE05-EAECBD84856E.png

Saturday December 17, 2022
Razor: Gillette Tech ??
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Vintage Unbranded/Tuxedo
Soap: Colgate Cup
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Aqua Velva
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,503

Gillette Travel Set my dad got as a gift for his 21st trip around the sun when he was stationed with the Air Force in England. It was missing the razor so I bought this "Made in England" Tech. Probably the wrong one and would like to know from the Tech Gurus what this one is and what the correct one would be. ( @pjgh @Tony'schin @TobyC etc ) This one is a rough specimen, Made in England aluminum base plate and handle but heavier top cap with the Gillette logo. Also wonder what brush it may have had in these sets? Thanks for any help !! Have a great day !!
oPKgyW5.jpg

YUF8xYy.jpg

MzozMRm.jpg
I'm not an expert but that ball end Tech you got there looks about right for the set.
Don't know about the brush. Often you might see Two Tix on some of them in travel sets; I'm not sure if Two Tix was a competitor or if they put together Gillette travel kits.

AC-SE blades do sometimes feel harsh on the first run. Give it a few more goes, I'll bet the 2nd run through maybe 9 or 10th will be smooth. I have only tried one Proline in an Excalibur head to be fair. It was OK on the 2nd run onwards but I preferred Feather Pro or Kai Captain titan mild 'pink'.
That’s been my experience with the Excalibur, I’ve tried 4 or 5 blades but the Feather Pro and Kai Pink have been my preferred blades. It definitely improves after a couple of uses though even with those blades.

9582040D-F3A0-4A0C-B5F8-6CA24D5A2BAD.jpeg
SOTD: 21/12/2022

Razor: Shield Avenger
Blade: Kai Titan Mild Pink , 2nd use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: A&E Monte Carlo Croap
Aftershave: A&E Monte Carlo Aftershave
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Fragrance: Dior Savage Eau de Toilette

Even better shave with the 2nd use of the Kai Titan Pink. Throughly excellent from start to finish!
Wish my head felt as good as this shave this man flu can do one now I’ve had enough of it!

Wednesday 21st December

AL9nZEVQqxyrOcpzldEUcDnvjgkxu8KwOaamYmSiFLETlJQ3ZffZR_mHCGmC7TGBo4inF0P4nAllRtEE1RyVr_MZwJwc0cKb_Cdrb8o0jJF7PhMmJEfdiEMqn5mRzIUWRrYOYeb4a66lPFSm31hbkwdQXKwDGA=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
DR Harris Arlington Shaving Bowl & Razorock 400 w/HJM Professional Boar 25mm
Merkur 37C & Gillette Rhino (3)
Pinaud Clubman Original Aftershave Lotion

Three great shaves with this discontinued Gillette blade, one of those from the Shanghai plant a good few years back when output was sometimes considered a bit hit and miss. Well, I liked these blades back then (maybe circa-2015) and finding a single on in the bottom of a razor case certainly enjoyed revisiting it.

Now that the Shanghai plant is known to be putting out some really good blades, like the Super Gillette Blue and the London Bridge, I wonder if this (already) excellent blade has morphed into one of those. Having use the Super Gillette Blue just the other week, I can say that one is smoother than this Rhino. I would not be at all surprise if the London Bridge gives a very similar shave. I'll be popping one into much the same routine next.

Excellent, too, to use the refined Merkur 37C. With a very sharp blade locked in, very capable and super-smooth.

Last edited:
Prep: ESC pre shave oil mixed with Proraso sensitive pre shave cream
Brush: ESC Medium Jock synthetic
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild V2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
Cream: Signature Soaps Valentia
PS 1: Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal

Postie brought my Signature Soap today (among many other things) and I couldn't resist giving it a try tonight. @BrianH all I can say is that I understand the reviews now! Wonderful soap in all regards, and I can't wait to buy more in the new year.

A nice error free shave and good smooth results.

Postie brought my Signature Soap today (among many other things) and I couldn't resist giving it a try tonight. @BrianH all I can say is that I understand the reviews now! Wonderful soap in all regards, and I can't wait to buy more in the new year.

Thanks Luke, so glad you like it. Best Regards Brian

Last edited:
Wednesday 21st December

AL9nZEVQqxyrOcpzldEUcDnvjgkxu8KwOaamYmSiFLETlJQ3ZffZR_mHCGmC7TGBo4inF0P4nAllRtEE1RyVr_MZwJwc0cKb_Cdrb8o0jJF7PhMmJEfdiEMqn5mRzIUWRrYOYeb4a66lPFSm31hbkwdQXKwDGA=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
DR Harris Arlington Shaving Bowl & Razorock 400 w/HJM Professional Boar 25mm
Merkur 37C & Gillette Rhino (3)
Pinaud Clubman Original Aftershave Lotion

Three great shaves with this discontinued Gillette blade, one of those from the Shanghai plant a good few years back when output was sometimes considered a bit hit and miss. Well, I liked these blades back then (maybe circa-2015) and finding a single on in the bottom of a razor case certainly enjoyed revisiting it.

Now that the Shanghai plant is known to be putting out some really good blades, like the Super Gillette Blue and the London Bridge, I wonder if this (already) excellent blade has morphed into one of those. Having use the Super Gillette Blue just the other week, I can say that one is smoother than this Rhino. I would not be at all surprise if the London Bridge gives a very similar shave. I'll be popping one into much the same routine next.

Excellent, too, to use the refined Merkur 37C. With a very sharp blade locked in, very capable and super-smooth.

An interesting observation. I found the top tier Shanghai Gillette blades to be high quality. I'd buy some more if I didn't already have more blades than their are days in this decade/century.

Signature Soaps is the good stuff. You can't go wrong with Eboracum and Coria, incredible scents and fantastic performance.

Back
Top Bottom