Scents with balls!

Polo - the original in the green bottle.
Contre Pouvoir - by Brecourt
Oh my dear Lord ! I'd forgotten all about the nasal explosion, so reminiscent of Vick Vapour Rub which was original Polo. Worked with a guy who could stink up the entire top floor of our office just by walking along the corridor. And to think they used to say we could smell Brut at 33 paces.

JohnnyO. o/

This was in the days when sales assistants on perfume counters actually knew what they were talking about.

:D ........ I wandered 'down the estate' at the weekend .......... Left Mum and Nieces wandering around the lippy section in Boots and went to see what they had in mens fragrances......... The whole bloody corner smelled like a tart's handbag..... and I only wanted to see what the Kouros Silver was like. There always seem to be girls wandering around in there, dolled up to the nines and gorgeous ......... but always looking to grab you, spray something on you and, if you're really not careful, blag you into buying it.

So I grab one of their funny little blotter strips and instantly earn the hairy eyeball from the bored looking security waller by spraying the first blast into the air to clear the pipes .......... Quickly followed by the usual sales assault from 'Dollie Bird; Variation #4'. Nice girl, really ......... but it all seemed to be about what a girl liked to smell on a bloke (Whereas I pretty much don't give a s**t what anyone thinks if I like it) ..... and when she landed on Paco Rabanne 'Million', I knew we just weren't on the same wavelength. Seriously..... 'Million'? ............ I've had two bottles of the EDT given to me over the years. I smelled it once and put it down, but somebody used up both those bottles .......... and she's busy two aisles over trying to find a match for her favourite hair colour because those bastards at L'Oreal have discontinued 'Autumn Sunrise'.

Seriously, I hate the stuff ......... I think it's why women and girls like it so much: Somebody slapped 'Pour Homme' on it for a laugh and now all the girls have to do if they want a bottle of their favourite smelly, is buy their fella a bottle of it and just wait for it to come their way..... A bit like buying your dad a hamster for Christmas ......... not only will you have fulfilled your duty of giving your dad a great present for Chrimbo, but by Boxing Day, you'll also own a hamster .......

Anyway ...... I was saved by my other niece interrupting us ....... Eight years old, a master of impropriety, a foghorn for a voice and affectionately known as 'Satan' ...... so I got out while the going was good ........or at least before the little bugger got us thrown out. Then I smelled the top of my arm ....... and there it was ........ the Kouros from yesterday morning was still there.......... and I'd had a shower and scrubbed myself down with Dettol soap since then.

I reckon I'll stay away from Boots in future :D

There would seem to be a new fragrance out....Dior Sauvage.

Was in Boots today and the display was right there in yer face you as you walked in the door. Had a squirt, as you do. Couldn't detect any resemblance to to the two other versions of Eau Sauvage I'm familiar with...but, WOW it's got tenacity. It sticks to you like the proverbial stuff to a blanket. I had it under my nose all afternoon .... so much so I couldn't wait to get under the shower to wash it off. I scrubbed it and applied all sorts of other stuff to get rid of the smell...but as I sit here, six hours later, it's still there. To my nose it's hideous. Dreadful stuff. More chance of my flying to the moon than ever using this horrendous composition.

But if you want strong....this is the stuff.

Synthesised whale sick and bergamot with a backwash of spicy pepper. Yummy! I'll snag a whiff at the weekend ...

It sounds like you had the same reaction as I had to Kouros upon first whiff, although I now rate it as one of my favourite scents. I had to get Mrs to drive home so I could keep hang that hand out of the window. Very recently, I got a reminder of just what I smelled when I first tried it ... our pregnant cat gave off some dizzying stink when she'd pass solids! The consensus was, her scent glands were being stimulated or squeezed by the kittens inside and so when she'd go, it got released and she'd emerge from an eye-watering fug of almost Kouros. Woo-ee! But beguiling :D

I remember when I worked at Ralph Lauren, back when I was eighteen, some old codger would spray the RL Safari tester in the air. The poor bastards stuck manning the registers would start coughing, and the rest of us out on the sales floor would hug the perimeter for about fifteen minutes, until the fog cleared.

I absolutely loathed the scent. Wasn't much of a fan of the Green either.

Now I love the scent. Vintage especially, but the new stuff's not bad either, though it lacks the punch of the original Safari. Another victem of the great Oakmoss removal.

Pinaud Clubman still has oakmoss in it. That is a strong scent as well. Another one of my favorites.

There would seem to be a new fragrance out....Dior Sauvage.

Was in Boots today and the display was right there in yer face you as you walked in the door. Had a squirt, as you do. Couldn't detect any resemblance to to the two other versions of Eau Sauvage I'm familiar with...but, WOW it's got tenacity. It sticks to you like the proverbial stuff to a blanket. I had it under my nose all afternoon .... so much so I couldn't wait to get under the shower to wash it off. I scrubbed it and applied all sorts of other stuff to get rid of the smell...but as I sit here, six hours later, it's still there. To my nose it's hideous. Dreadful stuff. More chance of my flying to the moon than ever using this horrendous composition.

But if you want strong....this is the stuff.

Yep, tried it too, awful stuff. My misses said it smelt like deodorant !

Back
Top Bottom