Single Edge by Supply Provision - are you getting one?

I'd agree that the stops are on the large side, certainly compared to Schicks and PALs, but I'm still working through trying the razor out (now at day 4, and very satisfactory) and can't say I've noticed any problem.
Unmodified, they are still lower than the highest point on the top cap, but I suppose that, in some circumstances, they could cause some stand-off, and perhaps encourage use of greater pressure.

One thing I have noticed is how fast rust stains appear on the blade; in this case at the ends. I'm pretty sure this is from the blade and nothing to do with the razor. The blades are the ones that came with the SE (Personnas?).

With all my injectors, except for Schicks with the Hydromagic or rotating spring release, I leave the blade in until it's finished, just rinsing, shaking and drying in between uses. I put a new blade in before storing. I don't recall any rust problems with those, and I planned the same approach with this, as I'm reluctant (aka too idle) to dismantle it daily for cleaning. I'll be watching this aspect closely to see what sort of routine might be needed.

I'd be very interested to know how others get on with the blades, and what sort of maintenance regime they've got.

Never had a Problem with Personna Injector Blades Rusting..o_O

Billy
Nor I, until this one. I just checked against some other Personnas in the drawer, and the Supply Provision blades definitely are that blade as well.
It's a similar problem to that which I occasionally encounter with Kai/Feather/Kamisori blades in the S/S Mongoose.
I guess I can do two things which may shed further light:-
1- clean up this blade just enough to remove rust stains, or maybe just turn it round, and put it into an "openable" Schick
2- use another blade from the SE dispenser in a Schick
If I then see more rusting, it should in theory be the blades, and not the razor.

Often, DE blades go rusty, and especially in stainless razors (or perhaps they just show it more), but I sling them after 3 days anyway. I like to get longer service from SE blades, so any rusting does become more of an issue.

I'm relatively new to injector shaving. Having read heaps of threads on TSR & Shave Den etc, I have come to understand that injectors shave best when an old blade is sacrificed for a new. Thus, a blade is always in the head. Should there be no blade, and a new one injected - it can scrape across the blade stops. Potentially, messing up the blade or its alignment.

How does this SE overcome such issues by having base plates that can be removed? Presumably meaning that the blade drops out and brand new one needs injecting without the benefit of an old blade smoothing the process?

Apologies if I have misunderstood the concept....Richard

As far as blade performance is concerned, an injector is the same as a DE. A blade goes in new, you use it for X days, it gets blunt, you eject it and inject a fresh one. Injectors are designed to have a blade in them all the time, which has two purposes. Firstly, it keeps the retaining spring(s) in the mechanism at the right tension and, secondly, presents the gap for the new blade to start sliding into. If there's no blade, then the new blade has to be "wangled" into the head, as there's no gap to speak of between the top and base plates. In that case, the blade may ride on the first blade stop, possibly damaging it. I think I'm right in saying that most, if not all, Schick and Pal injectors came with a dummy blade loaded.

The main purpose of the removable baseplates in the S. E. is to allow the user to vary the aggression of the razor. As you have noted, it also allows a blade to be removed without ejection. There are then three possible options.
1- You can then inject a new blade into the empty razor, in which case the problems discussed above may occur. There seems little point in this.
2- You could put the old blade back in, close it all up and inject a new blade.
3- Alternatively, you can eject a blade from the injector into thin air, position it in the razor and close it all up. This rather negates one of the ideas behind the injector, which is to minimise blade handling.

Of course, a lot of this depends on the individual. If you find a plate that suits you, then you'll probably just eject old blade, and inject new one. If you need to clean the head and remove the plate, then likely 2) or 3) above will apply. The same two apply if you swap baseplates.

I dunno? I've had the injector razor now for 2 days. I know injectors are for those who don't like to handle blades, but I do like to take the blade out of a razor after a shave and clean everything up and drying the blade and the razor. The Supply Provision is very amenable to doing that. Easy peezy really! Much easier to handle an injector blade over a DE blade IMHO. I don't see any difficulty. I don't see any problem with the large blade stops? The blade is not shaving behind the stepson any injector razor? Tall stops makes it easy to insert a blade by hand. At least for me? Mostly I would be worrying about dropping the screw down the drain with the spring. Or doing the same with just the spring? That would probably be pretty easy. The razor looks great and with a couple of shaves under my belt I can see it is easy to shave with. As far as closeness I figure some experimenting with the plates and blades will be necessary. First blade used from the included blades cartridge, I noticed it had a dulled spot in its edge. I guess I have a lot of time on my hands, but that's the way the news flops for me. I like to look tools over very intensely. Especially when they look as good as the Supply Provision razor I received does! I loaded the first blade by hand and did not use the injector. I wanted to make sure I didn't scrape the sharp edge and I was careful so the blade came the way it looked at the edge. About 1/4 in. not the same as the rest of the blade. Still worked OK but probably not as sharp as it should be??? Maybe it got scraped coming out of the injector cartridge? So far I think the razor is a bargain!

Back
Top Bottom