Six Nations 2014

Well Rob George is actually a center converted to wing even Northampton played him there as well, but we will have John Davies back for the England game and he will be released to play for the Scarlets next week giving him more match fitness so it will be nice to have the Lions pairing back for the England game as George and Cuthbert are two 17 stone wingers and Roberts and Davies are also 17 stone plus, I'm sure Farrel will be the main target of the Welsh mid field and as England like to play a little more loose than Ireland then as long as Wales can gain good possession I'm sure they will use the ball more and they are looking a little better each week.

Jamie I'm not trying to be controversial but he does not get into the right positions or angles for a centre - he's great going forward but at some stage he will be on his arse.

It was OK from us, we won't be beating ourselves up over it, but it was littered with bad decision making and hesitancy at times. The game was competitive, but I think England were more consistent, composed and error free.

Sexton really will be kicking himself for that fooked up re-start that England went on to score from. It was annoying as hell.. At least do the simple things right.

UKRob said:
Jamie I'm not trying to be controversial but he does not get into the right positions or angles for a centre - he's great going forward but at some stage he will be on his arse.

I would have to agree with you Rob he would need more than one international to find his feet but he is class still only 21 and it shows how much faith the Welsh coaching team have in him to play him, but John Davies is without doubt the best 12 in Europe.

Picks for the weekend chaps?

Ireland to beat Italy - doubt there'll be any slip ups this year

France to beat Scotland - French on the road are as unpredictable as can be, but this is an even poorer Scottish side

England to beat Wales - Tough one. We (Ireland) would prefer a Wales win here, but I think England are going to be very tough to beat at home

Does anyone else get the same feeling as me that England/Wales will be a feisty affair? With the way things stand in the table there's a lot depending on the outcome - for both sides. I've never been certain that having players wound up to fever pitch actually helps their performance, so I'm concerned that England will look back at last year's drubbing in Cardiff and could lose the plot. This is where Lancaster must play his part and keep his players below boiling point but sufficiently wound up to withstand what I expect to be a torrid first 10 minutes.

The point has already been made that with both these sides in the same world cup group next year, both will want to lay down a marker and, despite Wales greater experience in terms of caps, they are actually pretty well matched in terms of age. Certainly England can't keep playing the 'developing side' card - I think Lancaster knows that the public would not accept that if England lose.

So, look out for a cracker I think. Patriotism makes me go for an England win but really it could easily go either way with a small margin.

UKRob said:
Does anyone else get the same feeling as me that England/Wales will be a feisty affair? With the way things stand in the table there's a lot depending on the outcome - for both sides. I've never been certain that having players wound up to fever pitch actually helps their performance, so I'm concerned that England will look back at last year's drubbing in Cardiff and could lose the plot. This is where Lancaster must play his part and keep his players below boiling point but sufficiently wound up to withstand what I expect to be a torrid first 10 minutes.

The point has already been made that with both these sides in the same world cup group next year, both will want to lay down a marker and, despite Wales greater experience in terms of caps, they are actually pretty well matched in terms of age. Certainly England can't keep playing the 'developing side' card - I think Lancaster knows that the public would not accept that if England lose.

So, look out for a cracker I think. Patriotism makes me go for an England win but really it could easily go either way with a small margin.

Feisty it will be for reasons of last year's drubbing and the situation of the Championship. I think the winners of this game may well go on to win the Championship. England have Italy as their last game, which one would expect them to win and win well.
I think this England side is still in development, but they have undoubtedly got talent and a have shown control and focus, thus far, when needed. The win against Ireland was an important one and showed that as long as they stick to doing their jobs and cutting out errors the opportunities will come (that said I wish they made more of the chances they carve out). Wales will be ultra determined and have a back line that could wreak havoc if given the opportunity.
Feisty, competitive and I can't wait!!

Jon

Still lots of permutations for the title yet Jon:

- Ireland have a superior points difference that England will do well to overcome.
- However, Ireland need to win away in France and despite their poor performance in Wales, France are a different proposition at home.
- If France beat Scotland on Saturday and Ireland they have 4 from 5.
- Whoever wins in the England/Wales game still has to win the last one - Wales at home to Scotland looks marginally easier than England in Italy.

So any of the 4 could still win - but I'm prepared to say that Sunday's winner should also win the championship because I think Ireland will slip up in France but France will not make up the existing points difference.

Edit - just realised that's exactly the conclusion you already reached. Doh!

I wouldn't be confident of Ireland winning in France... it's always been a tough place for us to go and the old French are surely bound to come out of nowhere with some of that magic we all expect from them at some stage... probably in the last 10 minutes when Ireland are up by 10 points and France run in two tries, miss one conversion and score the second.

No worries Tony same happened last year, I'm pretty confident if the very best Wales team turn up and perform and the very best England team turn up and perform then there's only one winner and they are wearing red shirts, I remember the England number eight Ben Morgans when he first turned out for my town Merthyr as a young 18 year old he looked a good player even then in the same sort of mold as Dean Richards a solid no nonsense number 8, I'm over the moon that John Davies is playing I watched him last week when the Scarlets beat Munster we have missed him. PS objectively looking at the England team I wouldn't think one of your players would make it into the Wales team but the Twickenham factor does come into play, at the end of the day If Cardiff city can beat Man City then there's always the possibility of England beating Wales, after all they have lost the last four games against us and haven't scored a try against us in four hours of rugby miracles can happen. :)

I shall reserve my judgement until I have the benefit of hindsight on Sunday evening. Of course one of the reasons Wales are quite strong at the moment is because of all the players with English fathers - even some with English fathers and mothers and who were also born in England.

Despite playing his senior Rugby for Scarlets, Morgan is 100% English born and bred and an excellent player to boot.

Jamie it's the last three games England have lost - and I suspect the try drought will be ended come Sunday.

Oh balls, there goes my resolve to reserve my judgement.

Back
Top Bottom