Six Nations rugby Friday anyone?

pugh-the-special-one said:
Go and cut some peat for fuck sake you boring fucking Irish arsehole! Don't bother responding Paddy as you are now on my ignore list.

Yep, I was right - desperately scraping and an ethnic slur to boot. Classy.

Getting back to the rugby, what is the rule about re-starting the game after a score? I'm thinking of Scotland's last gasp penalty and conversion - there were a few seconds left on the clock when the conversion went over, but 80 minutes were up by the time the game was ready to start again. Was the referee correct in calling time?

UKRob said:
Getting back to the rugby, what is the rule about re-starting the game after a score? I'm thinking of Scotland's last gasp penalty and conversion - there were a few seconds left on the clock when the conversion went over, but 80 minutes were up by the time the game was ready to start again. Was the referee correct in calling time?

I think the attached law snippet may answer your question. It's slightly ambiguous but I think it just about covers the situation you describe

"If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue."

Jon

I thought there were around 10 seconds left which may or may not have given Wales time to kick off, by blowing a touch early he prevented the time wasting that would have ensued or a kick-off straight into touch which would have ended the game anyway. There may have been a very small chance of a bodged kick off and the Irish regaining possession but as far as the rule is concerned I assume you play through the clock until the ball is dead and out of play. The ball was dead after the conversion or was soon to be after kick off, correct decision imo.

Jon, I'm still uncertain - according to that law highlighted, the ball is dead after the conversion. When the conversion went over the posts there were still a few seconds remaining - so I guess he should have re-started the game. This is what some newspaper reports are suggesting, anyway - that the game finished 4 seconds early.

Reading that rule, I too would have interpreted the ball as being dead after the conversion.

Commentating on Irish Peat Cutter TV, Frankie 'The Paddy' Sheahan was positive at the time the incident occurred that the clock should have been stopped after the conversion and a re-start played.

I think this is where I'm uncertain - during the course of a match, the clock carries on after a try and conversion - so why should it be stopped just because the game was nearing 80 minutes?

The Welsh did not delay making the ball available, it's just that by that time, 80 minutes was up.

UKRob said:
I think this is where I'm uncertain - during the course of a match, the clock carries on after a try and conversion - so why should it be stopped just because the game was nearing 80 minutes?

The Welsh did not delay making the ball available, it's just that by that time, 80 minutes was up.

As I said, there did appear to some ambiguity in it. The clock ticks on when a ball goes into touch normally (and for a scrum too), but in when the clock is at 80 either of these events would end the game.

However all the Welsh would have had to do is get the ball out (not on the full) , or force a knock on (restart drilled hard and low to an opposition player....) from the restart and the game would have been up.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Go and cut some peat for fuck sake you boring fucking Irish arsehole! Don't bother responding Paddy as you are now on my ignore list.

Really?
Aren't you a little embarrassed to write such a thing?
What would a rugby ref do if you spoke to him like that?
Probably give you some time to think about it elsewhere.

That'll be a retrospective ban for biting then.

jds said:
However all the Welsh would have had to do is get the ball out (not on the full) , or force a knock on (restart drilled hard and low to an opposition player....) from the restart and the game would have been up.

Mmmm...not sure about the later, players tend to try and trap a low and fast ball with their feet nowadays rather than risk a knock on and it still would of handed possession to the Scots , better to launch it skywards and at least have the ball contested me thinks.

antdad said:
...players tend to try and trap a low and fast ball with their feet nowadays rather than risk a knock on and it still would of handed possession to the Scots , better to launch it skywards and at least have the ball contested me thinks.

Agreed Tony - this approach is a relatively easy way to avoid handing over possession immediately.

Some great banter on here apart from some (one ) taking it too far. Hopefully he'll be embarrassed when he reads that again. As for the lack of kick off the ref was wrong end of! However the kicker should have taken it much quicker and guaranteed the restart he wastes about 20 secs. Scotland could easily have taken their own restart and got a penalty. Still Ireland for the Grand slam (or anyone but England) Come on the boys in green.

The England game, there's a serious air of nervousness heading into that one here in Ireland. We were beaten up and bruised 2 years ago and last year's game was so tight. I get the impression that Schmidt finds it very hard to come up with a plan because the England team are pretty darn versatile.

@ MadRemy. I don't think that was the case. The BBC showed the timings right after the match - when the conversion sailed over there were less than 10 seconds remaining. By the time the ball was back on the field, 80 minutes were up - given that we have established that the clock does not stop after a successful conversion, I'm still no wiser as to whether the match should have started again.

Edit - your criticism of Jamie is understandable - however you then seem to offer some racial stereotyping of your own. Just food for thought maybe.

Rob the Scottish kicker should have drop kicked it over and then there would have been more time. Once the ball hit the ground it is dead and although the clock doesn't have to stop if there is any time left before it turns red then there should be a restart. Scotland left it too close to call and the ref made a wrong albeit understandable call. We need a hooter like in the 13 man version. Have some faith JB. Schmidt is the best coach in the world and we have arguably the best out half and finisher in sexton and bowe. If Brown isn't fit and I can't see how he will be it's a big advantage for us. Although if Lancashire picked the Armitage brothers then we would be in trouble. Don't know what the fall out was about but how they can leave the best number 8 in the world out is baffling.

Personally I'm not a fan of the word 'best'. Dan Carter was the 'best' fly half not so long ago, now the talk is that Sexton is, come the World Cup it'll be someone else.

I think England are the team on the rise. They probably have a lot more going for them in terms of depth and youth. I'll also add that England are a lot more like-able under Lancaster... he's a well grounded man and he's brought that to their team. That being said, Joe Schmidt is a lot more like-able than Declan Kidney too, the latter playing the cute whore too much with the media.

Can we beat England, of course we can.. as easily as they can beat us. That's the great thing about the 6 Nations.. you really have 4 teams capable of beating each other on any given day. I think if the French could get a logical and rational thinking coach who would pick their best 15, they'd be a serious, serious team.

I wouldn't begrudge England or any team the success that good teams deserve.

Back
Top Bottom