Six Nations rugby Friday anyone?

themadremmy said:
Rob the Scottish kicker should have drop kicked it over and then there would have been more time. Once the ball hit the ground it is dead and although the clock doesn't have to stop if there is any time left before it turns red then there should be a restart. Scotland left it too close to call and the ref made a wrong albeit understandable call. We need a hooter like in the 13 man version. Have some faith JB. Schmidt is the best coach in the world and we have arguably the best out half and finisher in sexton and bowe. If Brown isn't fit and I can't see how he will be it's a big advantage for us. Although if Lancashire picked the Armitage brothers then we would be in trouble. Don't know what the fall out was about but how they can leave the best number 8 in the world out is baffling.

As someone who'd like to see England win the 6N, Ireland are the team that worry me the most, now that we've backed-up our performance from the first week. When O'Gara then BOD retired, i suspected Ireland were going to enter a period of decline while they brought-on a new generation, but, under Schmidt, they seem to have found a way to maintain their momentum. Anyway, with a very small percentage of Irish ancestry (2x paternal great-grandmother), I'd take Ireland winning if England can't.

Would ye be confident facing the French Chris? I think we all tend to fear what's immediately in front of us.. but we have to head to Cardiff too and they'll be looking for revenge from last year.

For the first time in a long time, we (Ireland) went into a France game almost expecting to win.. without being certain of course. It has been a long time since we had that sort of feeling here.

The French are a funny sort.. did nothing for 60 minutes then hit us with a try as if they decided to show up when Parra hit the field.

jb74 said:
Would ye be confident facing the French Chris? I think we all tend to fear what's immediately in front of us.. but we have to head to Cardiff too and they'll be looking for revenge from last year.

For the first time in a long time, we (Ireland) went into a France game almost expecting to win.. without being certain of course. It has been a long time since we had that sort of feeling here.

The French are a funny sort.. did nothing for 60 minutes then hit us with a try as if they decided to show up when Parra hit the field.

Not confident as such, but I'd like to think we're a better team than thy are, though the cumulative talent of their players is at least equal to England, possibly superior. Parra reminds me rather of Matt Dawson - one of those irritating, unpredictable in-your-face scrum halves who can sometimes make a mess of things, but more often exposes weaknesses in the defence.

As long as England don't lose any more players to injury I remain reasonably confident. They didn't play particularly well against Italy but managed to put a decent score on the board. The AB's would have scored around 60 which demonstrates the level of precision and accuracy they have over England (and others for that matter).

I am concerned about all three of our remaining opponents. Scotland are on the rise and always life it vs England, especially if it's pelting down with ice cold rain; Ireland are confident, well organized, experienced and have some rich talent; France can blow hot and cold and when they are hot, boy can they be hot and they have some fantastic players.

England, however do seem to be level headed and realistic. I think the World Cup will come too early for this group. The 2019 RWC is the one when all the talented youngsters will have the experience, conditioning and wherewithal to be really competitive. We shall see, but I am forever hopeful.

If I was going to make a prediction now I would go for England to win the championship, but not by a Grand Slam. It will be close - Ireland / Wales could be a huge clash.

Jon

jds said:
As long as England don't lose any more players to injury I remain reasonably confident. They didn't play particularly well against Italy but managed to put a decent score on the board. The AB's would have scored around 60 which demonstrates the level of precision and accuracy they have over England (and others for that matter).

I am concerned about all three of our remaining opponents. Scotland are on the rise and always life it vs England, especially if it's pelting down with ice cold rain; Ireland are confident, well organized, experienced and have some rich talent; France can blow hot and cold and when they are hot, boy can they be hot and they have some fantastic players.

England, however do seem to be level headed and realistic. I think the World Cup will come too early for this group. The 2019 RWC is the one when all the talented youngsters will have the experience, conditioning and wherewithal to be really competitive. We shall see, but I am forever hopeful.

If I was going to make a prediction now I would go for England to win the championship, but not by a Grand Slam. It will be close - Ireland / Wales could be a huge clash.

Jon

Good analysis - the pissing rain scenario versus Scotland is the scenario that concerns me.

hunnymonster said:
chrisbell said:
Good analysis - the pissing rain scenario versus Scotland is the scenario that concerns me.

Why? Do the England team dissolve when they get wet (like alka seltzer)?

It's been known. They certainly lose any effervescence they may have had. 2000 was the year. England went to Murrayfield with a fine side and looking to secure a Grand Slam. The weather was horrible. Driving, cold rain. Scotland were a pretty reasonable side well coached and played the conditions perfectly. England panicked and lost the game. Still won the championship, but no Grand Slam.

jds said:
hunnymonster said:
chrisbell said:

Why? Do the England team dissolve when they get wet (like alka seltzer)?

It's been known. They certainly lose any effervescence they may have had. 2000 was the year. England went to Murrayfield with a fine side and looking to secure a Grand Slam. The weather was horrible. Driving, cold rain. Scotland were a pretty reasonable side well coached and played the conditions perfectly. England panicked and lost the game. Still won the championship, but no Grand Slam.

That was the year - I mentioned 1999 earlier but you're right - it was 2000. I recall watching the BBC coverage and being thoroughly frustrated.:mad:

... and we are off again.

Big clash on Sunday with the two 100% winners going head to head. I think England are in a good place, but so are Ireland. Will be a good clash, hard fought and close. If England can get the upper hand up front then I think they will win, but it's a bif if - Ireland have some mighty fine men in jerseys 1 through 8. Heaslip is a big loss - he's a colussus.

I have no idea what to make of France. Who knows what they serve up, but when they click, they click big time. Another big game - whoever loses will be out of the championship race for sure. I think France will put in a big performance and win by 5-7 points.

Scotland / Italy will be entertaining. Scotland's progress over the last months will be rewarded with a win...

Anywone been watching 6 nations Rewind? Those games in the 70's were great - I think it was a period marked by brilliance, sportsmanship, understanding that it was just a game and it was fun. Sad that those days are gone I think.

Here's to hoping that no-one gets badly hurt over the weekend and we see some superb contests. Oh, and that England win.

Sunday should be a huge match, but Wales vs. France will be interesting. If the France we saw on the first weekend and during the first half against Ireland turn up, I think Wales should win easily, but the improvement in the second half a fortnight ago was considerable; if that continues I see France winning by 6-9 points.

Scotland vs. Italy was rather low quality, I thought. Scotland were perhaps the most threatening (let's face it, neither Italian try came from great attacking enterprise by the back line) but Scotland's penalty count and Italy's trademark forward play meant that they deserved the win.

As for the second match, my sympathies go to French rugby supporters, as it must be hideously frustrating to continually see them under-perform. When they ran from their own half, they showed flashes of the French counter-attacking flair of the past, with supporting runners, superb lines and great offloads - momentum and flair in abundance. What I couldn't fathom was that this magnificent play came in short bursts, with the majority of their play dominated by aimless kicks, in particular those chips ahead which Wales dealt with easily. In the air, the French lacked commitment, and they were defeated by a team of equal talent but much better organisation.

UKRob said:
Chris I'm going to refer you to post 26 - with a modification of adding Scotland as well as Italy.

My predictions are usually rubbish, though!:icon_razz::icon_rolleyes: I continually expect France to return to their previous position of preeminence and had a suspicion it would be this year, sadly, their incompetence has made an idiot of me.

Back
Top Bottom