SOTD: Saturday 26 November - Friday 2 December 2022.

Hey, thanks! It's good to be back to my full shave den indeed. I am good now and hope to be even better hopefully after another 2 weeks of rest at home...

Thank you, Sir, I am definitely better but still not 100%. Hopefully, after another 2 weeks of rest at home will recover fully. I am glad to be back for sure...

Thanks, mate...yeah, 1 week before that was suffering while at work in a remote location without knowing why, and then followed by 2 weeks in the hospital to treat the issue...I am better and hope to fully recover in another 2 weeks... I am very pleased to whip up nice cones of lather now...

Thanks, Mike! I am better and glad to be posting. I really appreciate all of your kind warm words of concern...

Good luck with the rest of your recovery, I hope you make the rest of it ASAP.

30/11/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus 1950
Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor - Ever Ready 1912 USA
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Cedarwood and Patchouli Argan Oil and Balm
A/S - Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC
Wk 48 (5a).jpg
Its been a while since i used my USA 1912, a very smooth razor, i think a fair bit milder and user friendly for the beginner compared to a Brit 1912.
A nice face lather from the MWF, although i did have to work it a bit to get the right consistency i like.
Followed up with a nice post shave routine, this bottle of 4711 coming to an end, i do have a few others as Back-ups.
I did enjoy that bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

30/11/22

Its been a while since i used my USA 1912, a very smooth razor, i think a fair bit milder and user friendly for the beginner compared to a Brit 1912.
That's exactly how I see you in my head!

10298.jpg

What do you make of this?

AL9nZEXYT-_GSEbwxK44-TcebC4YYg2rX0IlROCYODZcSSIgbGyQGoVvq4sxqMNWWrKexTwv3U_2ZsYS-i5CVN6gWzo0Y30-jm-EthjJ8fBeXb_cqMHWdza4KQ6iUlyQjxdMZwx32NApyABBKrj5faSsnAZ89w=s800

When I got this razor (the 1912) I absolutely thought it to be a PAL handle with grub screw fitted ... and it is. But, who did it ... and why? The razor head itself is a tad thinner than the regular 1912 (although empirically, it's 22g which is the same as any other British 1912 of the period) but the stamping is quite feint in comparison to, say, the Peerless or Bathroom Set which were late models.

I'm inclined to think it either a mis-stamp/QC failure which a handle was whittled up in the factory and someone took it home or it's deliberately so and was a kinda last run where any old bits were used to push out the remaining stock. This is not unusual in production. Consider also the round handles of the Peerless and Bathroom Set - whatever was going on in the last years of 1912 production in Britain, they do appear to have run out of hex steel rod!

View attachment 96938

Mergress (2), Gillette Silver Blue, Simpson Trafalgar T2, SV Tundra Artica & Nivea two in one.

Traditionally I don't get on well with modern Gillette blades but thought to give the Silver Blue a try as I don't remember doing so before. They were superb - every day, is indeed a school day. Cheers - I.
Blade of the Gods!

Wednesday November 30, 2022
Razor: Asylum 17-4
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Sorentino Orange Crush/Cashmere
Soap: Areffa Soaps Time Dragon
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: CFG Ghost Town Barber
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,485

When a member posted getting 4 sets of this soapmaker in on another forum I was curious and after some googling decided to get a couple to try. The Company is in Kiev, Ukraine. My order was placed on Nov 1st and in a day or so (Time Difference) I was contacted with a shipping quote and Total which I paid by PayPal. I recieved the soaps on the 29th due to customs hold up in Ukraine as well as the US. Areffa was VERY fast to respond to each email inquiry during the process and I could not be happier with the transaction. I purchased Time Dragon and Discoverer for a Total of about $38 which included shipping and chose Time Dragon for today's shave:

The main notes of the fragrance are leather and smoked wood.

Type of aroma: leathery, woody
Top note: bergamot, saffron
Heart note: pine, balsam, white flowers, sandalwood
Base note: leather, oud, patchouli

Scent strength was in the medium range and enough to pick it up but not enough to be distracting. I enjoyed it very much and think leather and smoked wood sums upthe overall scent perfectly. Looking forward to further uses and will do a video shave with one of these soaps with further thoughts after more uses. Have a great day everyone !
GCst7k6.jpg

30/11/22

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Lea Stick
Brush - Omega GFS Wild Hog
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword (4)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Brut Oceans

With it being the last day of the month, so will end up month of only using vegan soaps and blades made in India. From tomorrow I will be participation in 'Decemboar', which shouldn't be too much bother as my boar brushes tend to be the ones I usually reach for more often than my synths.

I've enjoyed using the Indian blades for the last month, all the ones I used were great. The one I used for today's shave, might be one of the better ones, I'd compare it to be the Indian made Astra Superior Platinum, a middle of the road blade for sharpness that seems to work in all razors, but I'd describe the Indian GWS to be a touch smoother than the ASP.

As for the shaving soaps, I set out to only use vegan shaving soaps and to begin with I used a larger variety, some soft creams and croaps but as the month went on I seemed to find myself reaching for a few more than others, largely being Lea Stick and Razorock WTP Cologne. I think this largely down to preferring to using hard shaving soaps be it a hard puck or a shaving stick more so than croaps or soft creams. I think is partly down to I find the softer soaps lather better with my synths, and my hard soaps seem to work better with my boar brushes, which I seem to prefer.

I've enjoyed having a few themes for my shaves during the calendar month of November, aside from 'Decemboar' I'm thinking whether to have another one for my blades, soaps or razors even.

That's enough inane rambling for the day.

Have a good day gents.

IMG_20221130_121559.jpg

What do you make of this?

AL9nZEXYT-_GSEbwxK44-TcebC4YYg2rX0IlROCYODZcSSIgbGyQGoVvq4sxqMNWWrKexTwv3U_2ZsYS-i5CVN6gWzo0Y30-jm-EthjJ8fBeXb_cqMHWdza4KQ6iUlyQjxdMZwx32NApyABBKrj5faSsnAZ89w=s800

When I got this razor (the 1912) I absolutely thought it to be a PAL handle with grub screw fitted ... and it is. But, who did it ... and why? The razor head itself is a tad thinner than the regular 1912 (although empirically, it's 22g which is the same as any other British 1912 of the period) but the stamping is quite feint in comparison to, say, the Peerless or Bathroom Set which were late models.

I'm inclined to think it either a mis-stamp/QC failure which a handle was whittled up in the factory and someone took it home or it's deliberately so and was a kinda last run where any old bits were used to push out the remaining stock. This is not unusual in production. Consider also the round handles of the Peerless and Bathroom Set - whatever was going on in the last years of 1912 production in Britain, they do appear to have run out of hex steel rod!
I'm going with user modified handle and war period skimping on the brass thickness, maybe the head is from a military set?

If it really is thinner, how can it weigh the same???

View attachment 96938

Mergress (2), Gillette Silver Blue, Simpson Trafalgar T2, SV Tundra Artica & Nivea two in one.

Traditionally I don't get on well with modern Gillette blades but thought to give the Silver Blue a try as I don't remember doing so before. They were superb - every day, is indeed a school day. Cheers - I.
GSB are my go to blade Iain

Blade of the Gods!

Chris of Boyce is quite right

Back
Top Bottom