SOTD: Saturday 31 December 2022. - Friday 6 January 2023.

Wednesday 4th January
Schick style Injector OC 3D - Personna Stainless Coated #2 - Speick Stick - Yaqi Moka Express - Cien Aqua AS - Aloe Vera Gel - Bespoke Sweet Spice & Sandalwood EDP
N7hYSa8.jpg

Wed 4
Cream Saponificio Bignoli BlackBerry & Moss
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Ribbon 1000
Aftershave Le Grand Chypre Splash
A very nice cream with calming scent matched nicely with the splash. The lather is just impeccable.
A very nice and enjoyable shave with this razor refreshed again on the LaLune with oil. The edge is soft and friendly yet crisply keen. 3 passes for a bbs-ccs finish...
20230104_130445.jpg

4 January, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Nacet
Brush: New Forest Tubby 1 Finest
Soap: Barrister & Mann: Promises ( Glissant )

today I dragged out my 1st ever D/E razor, the Merkur 34C HD, and although it provided a very efficient shave with the Nacet, I will be looking for a smoother blade.

04/01/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Semogue SOC TAJ Boar
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Ever-ready Streamline
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Pinaud Gents Gin
23 Wk 01 (5).JPG
I found the streamline when raking in the box of plenty last week so decided to give it a run out fitted with a "banded" GEM.
The 70 year old cream gave another wonderful lather today, whipped up with the Taj boar.
P1040003.JPG
The cream is becoming a struggle to squeeze out, i think it is a bit more solid towards the end, either that or its the cold weather?
anyway about an inch gave me plenty for a 3 pass shave.
Now then, the streamline is a very efficient wee beastie so rather than throw the lather away i completed a buffing pass with the Lupo 72 just for the sheer pleasure of it.
A nice post shave with some fleeting indication from the splash.
Very nice and BBS to boot.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
Wednesday 4 January

After Junior GEM yesterday pulled out the GEM Micromatic today, used same GEM blade as yesterday also Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap. First pass on my right cheek was super smooth but then switched to left cheek and felt some dragging, surely the blade hadn’t given up after one and a half shaves :eek: ? Since I use my right hand maybe I got the angle slightly wrong on my left cheek? Need to be aware of this in future.
However, maybe I’m being super critical because in the end the finish was BBS after two passes and pick ups.
The GEM Junior and Micromatic both deliver a fine close shave and to me are similar in performance. However, for me the Junior has a better look, particularly the comb and the feel and balance are better. The Gem handle is slight shorter than the Micro’s but this is fine for my small hands.
Enjoy your day fellas!

E173582A-25EC-409E-BF77-648294B8D276.jpeg

Regarding pre-shave wash ... keeping it simple is best. You've identified a change in your routine and a negative effect afterwards, so I'd say go back to a simple hot water wash as prep.

I think we're a similar age and I know my skin does not enjoy change and can take a couple of days or more for any such change to become evident. It took me a good while to find a soap that I was happy to use on my face as so many nowadays are all about butters and oils and stuff which I think our kind of faces don't enjoy. The soap I use is a simple rapeseed and birch tar. Craft scale production ... and traditional.

I do also have to be careful about the shaving soaps that I use and have really found my niche with vintage. I really enjoyed using a new shaving soap a week or so ago despite it containing shea butter (which I usually run a mile from), but after five days I'd noticed skin changes and so that'll go on the PIF pile now. Back to what I know I like and after a couple of days, my skin is back to how I like it.

Change management.

Notice a change? Consider what changed ... revert and review.

Back
Top Bottom