SOTD: Saturday February 18 - Friday 24 February 2023.

PXL_20230222_112431373~2.jpg
SOTD February 22. 2023

Razor - Lambda Razors - Athena
Blade - Bolzano superinox
Soap - MWF - The Fat
Brush - Zenith unbleached boar
Bowl - Captain's Choice Copper
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - Old Spice

First of all, big thanks going out to @Crossan for lending me his beautiful razor, it is very much appreciated.

The shave, I knocked up a really good lather from the MWF, greatly helped my my Zenith boar, it quickly scourers off enough soap for me to build enough lather for three passes and a touch up.
I put a Bolzano superinox blade into the Athena having had great results with them in other razors.
The shave was close and very smooth, so this razor is right in my wheel house!
I will get to tell you more about the razor the more I use it, I don't always shave every day but this razor gives me the confidence to do so without any skin problems.
I was left with super smooth skin and no cuts or raw patches and my test with an alum block confirmed my feelings, hardly any sting, that's good enough for me!
After the ASB had dried I gave myself a good splash of Old Spice, clean shaven and smelling great!
The performance of this razor matched it's fantastic looks, it's a lovely razor to look at and also to use. :)

Until the next time,

Paul.

Wednesday February 22, 2023
Razor: Raised Flat Bottom #88
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Vintage Unbranded Boar
Soap: Williams Tonsorial Grated to a Stick
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Aqua Velva
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,570
IqYUlO4.jpg

uPKrs9D.jpg

Morning shave
Prep; warm water face wash in basin
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium
Brush; Semegue badger
Soap: Proraso Red- Sandlewood
AS- Proraso Sandlewood
3 pass shave. Cut myself carelessly due to over enthusiastic shaving on rhs of face. Otherwise a super, refreshing shave. Thinking of getting a straight razor- do they give a closer shave??

22 February, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium
Brush: Zenith EURO/RX
Soap: Stirling: Agar

the Wizzie was a massive improvement over the NOS version, and a great shave was had, but the Polsilver still has it for me.

When/where did you get your Zenith Euro from?

I bought mine from TVBShaving (RIP), it's one of my favourite brushes. I've been looking for another to no avail.

21-02-2023

Proraso, Reinfrescante :: Blackland Blackbird Polished Lite, Super Max (# 8) :: Semogue Spanish Shavers LE 2022 :: Mitchell's Wool Fat :: Institut Karitè :: Lea, After-shave

ZLtJN1R.jpg

22-02-2023

Proraso, Pelli sensibili :: Wolfman WR1 SB 0.74, WRH4, Super Max (# 9) :: Semogue SOC Cherry Wood, Finest badger :: Martin de Candre, Original :: Institut Karitè :: Myrsol, Agua balsámica

dbEsIBx.jpg

Salut!

20230222_162225.jpg

A bit nervous ahead of today's shave. The R41GS was over twice the price of any other razor I've bought, so I really want it to be good!

So, off we go....

20230222_161742.jpg

A brand new Shark SS in the GS (bonus - I opened the pack to find 6 blades in it) and a hot wash with the Imperial Leather. Next a little pre-shave oil and a good face-lathering with the Wilkinson Sword soap.

The first pass was WTG and removed a lot of stubble. Another hot wash with the Imperial Leather before more face-lathering and an ATG pass with a little tidying. This razor is nice and loud.

A good cold wash with the soap, a cold soak and then some Old Spice AS.

So, is it good? Oh yes. Very. It shaves very like the 2011 R41. Maybe the extra weight? Maybe a slightly different geometry to the other new R41s? Maybe my imagination? It gives loads of audible feedback. Being stainless steel it should last forever too!

Anyway, two passes left my face completely smooth and irritation free.

:)

20230222_165246.jpg

PXL_20230222_145952009.jpg
Third shave with the vintage London Bridge and first time with a vintage Gibbs Easy shave stick. This was wrapped and stored in a Boots Old English Lavender shave stick container.
I was in two minds about whether to open and use it as I like to preserve old shaving stuff if it is complete, but my general rule is if I've never tried the product before I will use it, and any subsequent examples I might get of the same product I would keep.
I dabbed the stick in a few key places around the face and brought up an easy (Easy?) thick lather. The stick smells faintly of lavender but I am not sure if that's from the previous Boots product in the container or not. The container certainly seems clean and the Gibbs was fully wrapped.

An excellent shave.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. II Adjustable "Slim" (1965)
Blade: London Bridge Made in England
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Lather: Gibbs Easy shave stick
Aftershave: Lider Classic lotion

Wednesday 22nd February

AMWts8DCG7jAjZ2Qv2VqvbyS0ZJE_2YjGoOChSHj12u2Wic7ToiWgb35aBzN6tzTlgvqbb4xZ4EpnPhZXm6tg-M9A-Qyew-ypk_WxHZqJ2XLvjMfuZA9VNXLdmPZOiPb_F0jtV2vZLSjFlfuYy4XE6-QGiLFdw=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Marvellous Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap & Muhle Silvertip Fibre 23mm
Leaf Twig (Mercury) & Derby Premium (1)
Pinaud Clubman Original Aftershave Lotion

Gosh! That is a world of difference from the Derby Extra ... I wouldn't go so far as to say "the hateful Derby Extra" but it is one of the lowest scoring blades in my experience. I'm running through some of the pre-cut saloon blades that I have in my (new to me) Twig and have a pack of these. I thought, "why not?" ... and a little research left me with "pleasantly surprising" and "shockingly good" kinda comments that put me in good confidence to run one through.

Well, I'll be running a few more through, I'm sure!

Last edited:
22/2/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - MWF/Kent
Brush - Yaqi Cashmere 20mm
Razor - Gillette RFB New
Blade - Treet Platinum (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Brut Oceans

A post by Toby in another thread about passes in the shave, I had a rare 1 pass with a little bit of clean up, and my face is feeling great at the end of the shave.

I was a little underwhelmed with the Treet Platinum to begin with but for today's shave it was gloriously smooth and comfortable, I think this delightful OC razor seems to get the best out of a lot of blades. I can now understand why many appreciate the TP so highly, lovely blade.

Only a few more shaves of Fat February left. Even though I'm looking forward to using a different shaving soap, it's been an interesting experience just focussing on one shaving soap for an extended period of time.

IMG_20230222_174214.jpg

1535D03A-E0D4-4F62-85ED-2D6586E0BB2C.jpeg
SOTD: 22/02/2023

Razor: Above The Tie SE1
Blade: Feather Pro Guard, 4th use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Special Edition Puck
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Fragrance: Armani Aqua Di Gio EdT

The newly acquired ATT SE1, (the loan may have turned to purchase!) was a delight again. I could gladly use this as my daily shaver day in and day out. The soap was beautiful and as always lathered a treat. A top notch shave from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom