SOTD: Saturday February 18 - Friday 24 February 2023.

View attachment 101238

A bit nervous ahead of today's shave. The R41GS was over twice the price of any other razor I've bought, so I really want it to be good!

So, off we go....

View attachment 101239

A brand new Shark SS in the GS (bonus - I opened the pack to find 6 blades in it) and a hot wash with the Imperial Leather. Next a little pre-shave oil and a good face-lathering with the Wilkinson Sword soap.

The first pass was WTG and removed a lot of stubble. Another hot wash with the Imperial Leather before more face-lathering and an ATG pass with a little tidying. This razor is nice and loud.

A good cold wash with the soap, a cold soak and then some Old Spice AS.

So, is it good? Oh yes. Very. It shaves very like the 2011 R41. Maybe the extra weight? Maybe a slightly different geometry to the other new R41s? Maybe my imagination? It gives loads of audible feedback. Being stainless steel it should last forever too!

Anyway, two passes left my face completely smooth and irritation free.

:)

View attachment 101237
Yes I found that the SS R41 shaved a little like the 2011 version and because of that and the extra weight put me off it, I was expecting a 2013 R41 made from Stainless steel and it wasn't!
However, I'm pleased to hear that you are enjoying your razor. :cool:

Paul.

Today’s shave ,
Martin de Candre Fougere
Hive by Bernd/ maggards shd
Personna med (3)
Overlander
Nivea sensitive asb
Aramis edc
….. …..
FFDDA7F7-CF12-47BA-9FF5-6C1D4858BD6E.jpeg

23/02/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Simpson Wee Scot Best Badger
Soap - Signature Soap Danum
Razor - Blackland Brassbird
Blade - Personna Med Prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Lomond - Cinnamon & Patchouli
A/S - Signature Soap Danum
Wk 08 (6).JPG
Now then, with the arrival of the Bronze Athena, the Brass bird, being it is my only modern brass razor now as all others have been moved on, was on very thin ice so it has had a run out to help my decision on whether it stays in the den or heads to BST?
I do love the "challenge" of using the Wee Scot, however, he never fails to impress me. Pairing it with the Wonderful Signature Soaps made the lathering very easy. I basically fully dip the small knot then give it a light shake then load up, it does take a little more loading of the soap due to its size then onto the chin, just dipping the tips and working in the soap, the brush was absolutely brimming with the good stuff and i had a wonderfully scented, slick, thick covering on the chin in no time at all.
From the 1st stroke i knew the Brassbird was staying, so easy to use, very efficient and still smooth and comfortable. It is a totally different shaving experience on the skin with that slight blade feel while giving very similar results as the Athena - YMMV of course.
The reprieve signed off i carried on with the shave and really enjoyed it, i completed 2 full passes and as i had the lather completed some touch up here and there for a very clean, deep, BBS finish.
A nice post shave routine finishing with the Signature soap splash.
Yeah, nice that.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

PXL_20230223_123809806~2.jpgPXL_20230223_123623659~2.jpg

SOTD February 23. 2023

Razor - Lambda Athena
Blade - Bolzano superinox
Soap - MWF - The Fat
Brush - Zenith boar with Olivewood handle
Bowl - Captain's Choice Copper
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

My second shave with this beautiful razor and as I had suspected this razor could be used as a daily driver for me, I was left with super smooth skin and without any problems.
The Fat is of course a wonderful soap and did it's job very well indeed.
The pictures I've used today will let those who are not lucky enough to have used one see that there are no drainage holes in the baseplate, the lather gets pushed over the top of the baseplate and out of the sides of the razor head.
I was a little worried that a thick lather would stop this wonderful bit of engendering from working but no, it works very well indeed. A very well made razor that looks fantastic!
Thanks again @Crossan for your generous loan of your razor.

Until the next time,

Paul.

View attachment 101269View attachment 101270

SOTD February 23. 2023

Razor - Lambda Athena
Soap - MWF - The Fat
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

My second shave with this beautiful razor and as I had suspected this razor could be used as a daily driver for me, I was left with super smooth skin and without any problems.
The pictures I've used today will let those who are not lucky enough to have used one see that there are no drainage holes in the baseplate, the lather gets pushed over the top of the baseplate and out of the sides of the razor head.
I was a little worried that a thick lather would stop this wonderful bit of engendering from working but no, it works very well indeed. A very well made razor that looks fantastic!

Until the next time,

Paul.
Absolute pleasure, glad it's working well for you. As you say it's a cracking bit of engineering and not a bad looker!

Shave from last night.
Prep: teeth washed then face washed in warmish water in bathroom basin.
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4
Brush: Omega boar
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra Deva( Rosemary and Lavender scented)
2 pass shave using Capra Deva for the 1st time. Absolutely brilliant shaving soap leaving my skin very smooth but still not altering the ugly face. Thank God for that.

Shave from last night.
Prep: teeth washed then face washed in warmish water in bathroom basin.
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4
Brush: Omega boar
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra Deva( Rosemary and Lavender scented)
2 pass shave using Capra Deva for the 1st time. Absolutely brilliant shaving soap leaving my skin very smooth but still not altering the ugly face. Thank God for that.
Cheers Pete

View attachment 101269View attachment 101270

SOTD February 23. 2023

Razor - Lambda Athena
Soap - MWF - The Fat
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

Until the next time,

Paul.

I've only just realised, because of your comment, that there's no holes in the baseplate. That's what gives it that unique look and squirt!

200.gif

I've been on top form lately!

Feb. 23, 2023
  • Brush: Zenith 31mm boar r/wetshaving 2022 sub exclusive
  • Razor: Gillette FBT
  • Blade: Voskhod (5)
  • Lather: Declaration Grooming - Gratiot League Square - soap
  • Post Shave: Brut - aftershave
  • Fragrance: Chanel - Pour Monsieur

Well over 30 shave on the brush - still lathers like a champ but doesn't eat lather anymore... and also it's not using up loads of soap either - for tub kills I certainly rather reach for my DG brushes....

Good shave, time to grab a new blade and potentially a different razor for next handful of shaves. 3-5 more shaves left from this soap, so will be done with it just in time for Striling March.

Back
Top Bottom