SOTD: Saturday February 4 - Friday 10 February 2023.

WILLIAMS WEDNESDAY

2AVhk5K.png

RAZOR: ‌Gillette ‘50s French Monobloc (England)
BLADE: Brit Wilkie
BRUSH: AP Shave Co. 24mm G5C Synthetic
LATHER: Williams Mug Shaving Soap

20230207_162533.jpg
Today's shave equipment is...
Yaqi aqua synthetic brush.
Captains Choice Obsidian bowl.
Gentlemans face care club cream.
Brass Charcoal goods Stinger with lvl 3 plate.
Dorco Prime blade
and lastly my new Henson razor stand.

Today was a cracking shave with my Charcoal goods Stinger razor, it's such a joy to use and I am really pleased with the GFCC you lot suggested.
The Henson stand works for me as I can use it for all my razors, my old stand wouldn't work with fat handles or necks.
A two pass BBS shave and smelling divine, have a great day everyone.

Wed 8th February

Cyril Salter. MS ED2band
Aron Aromatics Bay citrus
PAL Injectomatic
NOS Schick Platinum - Holland ( 4 )
Tuff Red A/S Lotion

Needed a good spruce up today for a Hospital visit, so my choice of Razor was ideal. The little PAL is a good Razor but it’s performance is boosted by the NOS Dutch blade .

20BDB9BB-4CA0-4FC8-B91E-9DB1CCDB0FC1.jpeg

08/02/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Vintage Vulfix service #3 Pure Bristle 1950's
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Ever Ready 1912,1951 Peerless Deluxe set - RR UFO
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC
Wk 06 (5).JPG
For all it was nice to use the 1912 fitted with a modern handle i don't think i would do it again, it sort of takes away the vintage feel and enjoyment out of the razor.
The blade has been retired, i have it down as shave #17 today, granted most of them have been 2 passes so i cannot complain, into the window scraper it goes.
The Vintage cream is really down to the wire now, hopefully another 3 or 4 shaves left in it.
Over all a fine shave leaving me comfortable with a DFS+ finish.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

08/02/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Vintage Vulfix service #3 Pure Bristle 1950's
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Ever Ready 1912,1951 Peerless Deluxe set - RR UFO
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC
View attachment 100305
For all it was nice to use the 1912 fitted with a modern handle i don't think i would do it again, it sort of takes away the vintage feel and enjoyment out of the razor.
The blade has been retired, i have it down as shave #17 today, granted most of them have been 2 passes so i cannot complain, into the window scraper it goes.
The Vintage cream is really down to the wire now, hopefully another 3 or 4 shaves left in it.
Over all a fine shave leaving me comfortable with a DFS+ finish.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
You altered the Mona Lisa! :(

5b92f64213629a167f9d175c3b343918--monna-lisa-mona.jpg

Wednesday February 8, 2023
Razor: Gem Junior/Baton Handle
Blade: Gem SS
Brush: Trotter Handcraft/Badger
Soap: Arrefa Kentucky Bourbon Shaving Cream
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Small Batch Shave Tonic
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,556

LlyJtpq.jpg

First shave with this shave cream and a pleasant one. I wasn't sure how much to use as I'm not a big user of creams and HATE bowl lathering but we all have our struggles in life. Placed a small amount but hopefully enough in the turkish copper bowl and off we go. At first as the Badger swallowed up the cream, I was thinking it was going to require more product. Kept swirling and adding water and it in time exploded wih lather. I may have went to fast and with too much water as it was a little airy for me but still a nice creamy feel. Protection and glide was certainly acceptable and while not "WOW and AMAZING" it was a very good shave and my face feels soft and supple afterwards.....HEY keep your hands to yourself !!
5zVb3r6.jpg

bWCyjKn.jpg

Something I never worried about is the quality of the container. This container feels cheaply made but guess what ? It holds the product and will be pitched no doubt after it's empty since I don't have a shortage of empties. It did it's job. While not an elite top drawer artisan product this is a good shaving cream and at basically $10 for 3.5 ounces it's a bargain . The cream has an interesting ingredient....Badger Tallow and Beer !

Soap ingredients: stearic acid, coconut oil, water, beer, KOH, badger tallow, palm oil, glycerin, sorbitol, shea butter, lanolin, mango oil, avocado oil, NaOH, perfume composition, kaolin clay, sodium lactate, sodium citrate, jojoba oil

Scent notes from the site shows:

Notes :

Top: orange, bergamot

Middle: clove, midnight orchid

Base: oak cask, musk, leather, patchouli.

Not sure how to describe the scent other than it is nice but more sweet to me than a good Bourbon. Must be the mix of everything together. It reminded me of something and then I checked my tub and yep, VERY similar to Henri Et Victoria's Cognac and Cuban Cigars. So a nice shave was had and whie cleaning up everything and the TON of lather that was left AFTER the shave was sitting there it began drawing a crowd......I'll use less product next time and try the smear on the face and face lather instead of the bowl method. Have a great day everyone !
aaLNCps.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday 8 February
Took off with the boss to Cape Town to escape the UK February cold. Used to visit regularly before COVID so it’s great to be back again. Beautiful country, superb wines and food, shame about the government failing its lovely people. Power outages for about half the day playing havoc with people’s lives.
Here’s the view from where we are staying near Stellenbosch. 30°C todays peak but low humidity so very pleasant.
4136F4C8-D1B0-4D15-807F-4DA000515FD1.jpeg

Brought only my Gillette Fusion 5 with me, just to keep things simple. Great close shave this morning but not quite the same experience as a proper wet shave. No blood for a start :ROFLMAO:

Have a great day fellas!

Last edited:
20230208_124339.jpg

Something different for me today

Gillette Super Adjustable
Shark SS
Omega Boar
Wilkinson Sword
Baylis and Harding
A Bowl

So I decided to use my birthyear razor, set to 6, and to bowl lather. Other than that I had my usual hot wash to start and a cold soak to finish.

Not a great shave. Not terrible, but not great. Needed 3 passes, not 2. Still not as close as usual and not as comfortable either.

I am very stupid. I know what works for me. R41, Shark SS, face lathering. I've even been getting rid of most of my other razors, just keeping my R41s and this one (which I said I wouldn't use, just keep). But, sometimes I like to mix it up.

To further demonstrate my stupidity, I'll use this for the next couple of shaves as it has a blade in it....

8 February

SV 70th Anniversary
Yaqi Heavy Metal
Tatara Masamune Nodachi
Feather Hi-Stainless
SV 70th Anniversary asl

13F820E1-B02A-4515-B18E-E638917BF324.jpeg
Another fine shave this morning. Two passes and a smooth and comfortable result. The Nodachi is a very safe razor, even with a Feather (for me), I would rate it as highly as the Rockwell 6S and the Razorock Hawk v3 on it’s safe and close qualities. The SV soap and aftershave are, of course excellent too.

Back
Top Bottom