SOTD: Saturday February 4 - Friday 10 February 2023.

EF2A10D9-3E9B-48E2-BA0B-4796FC2AA36C.jpeg
SOTD: 08/02/2023

Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Astra SP, 3rd use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime Puck
Balm: Seaforth! Spice Lime Aftershave Toner Lotion
Fragrance: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime Eau de Toilette

A spot on shave from start to finish. I’m going to have to find a way of getting a new bottle of edt over form the States when this runs out!

Blade: Dovo Prima
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Soap: Declaration Grooming Chaotic Neutral
Splash: Declaration Grooming Chaotic Neutral... Osmo Styptic Pencil

Well I've finally made the plunge and tried a straight razor. I brought out my favourite soap for the occasion. I took a little extra care to warm and hydrate my face compared to the DE, and whipped up my usual lather.

First pass was pretty good for a learning attempt. The big flat areas of my face mowed down easily enough but some of the concave and hard to reach spots like under my nose and the cleft of my chin were quite patchy.

I relathered and went for a clean up run when I ran into an old problem. With a DE I can shave as fast as with a cartridge razor if not faster over longer stubble. But going slowly with the straight I started to run into dry lather with the sticking and judder. So I know to run a thinner lather next time with the straight razor.

I finished up with a few minor cuts between the razor being sharp and the osmo you can't even see them, and a passable shave in most places, with some areas even being good. I did debate over a square ended razor and went for the round nose in the end, probably the right choice for now but I think I've got the bug. Maybe not a daily driver, but where I'm only shaving twice a week now it might see a bit more usage. 20230208_225504.jpg

SOTD February 8. 2023

No picture today, I ran out of light!

Fat February is still being followed strictly!

Razor - Blackland Blackbird Ti
Blade - Astra SP
Soap - MWF (Lime)
Brush - Goodfellas Wild Boar (Omega)
Bowl - Captain's Choice Copper
Post - Refinery ASB & Taylor Of Old Bond Street Lime fragrance
Extras - Lime essential oil
Glycerine (5ml is about a full teaspoon)

I soaked my boar while I was in the shower, I rubbed in to my stubble about 5ml of Glycerine and left it on there while I produced a lather.

Into the copper bowl I added 5ml of Glycerine and with a damp brush I worked the brush on the MWF until I felt I had enough wrist exercise, then mixed the soap laden brush into the Glycerine and add very small amounts of water as I was knocking up the lather and it wasn't long before I had a lovely glossy lather.
Now, what I'm going to say next may be wrong but I feel with the addition of Glycerine the resulting lather can hold more water and still remain stable, anyway that's my thoughts on it,

I then added three drops of Lime essential oil to the lather and mixed in well with my brush.
The result is a cracking stable lather with a lime scent, other essential oils can be used if lime is not your thing or indeed add a combination of oils, three oils, one drop of each.

To the shave, I worked the truly wonderful lather into my stubble on top of the Glycerine that I had rubbed in earlier and it was great, slick and thick.
The Blackbird Ti fitted with a Astra SP worked a treat and was able to glide through the stubble leaving my skin smooth and supple, just how I like it!

To finish a small amount of Refinery ASB was applied and once dried I splashed some of the Limes fragrance from Taylor Of Old Bond Street, the perfect finish to a perfect shave.

Have yourself a good day tomorrow,.

Paul.

No, no , no , Paul.
A dip and sometimes a stand, at most a shake even, let the piggy go!
I then set loose on the soap. Dip and build, my friend, dip and build.
The bristles begin to soften as you go as, the brush gets softer and then?
You're there - where you need to be.
YMMV of course,
We are all adaptable

No, no , no , Paul.
A dip and sometimes a stand, at most a shake even, let the piggy go!
I then set loose on the soap. Dip and build, my friend, dip and build.
The bristles begin to soften as you go as, the brush gets softer and then?
You're there - where you need to be.
YMMV of course,
We are all adaptable
The older I get less adaptable I get, old dogs and new tricks type of thing! :)
Paul.

SOTD: 9th February 2023.

4.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush: omega 10066.
Face Lather.
Lather: LEA Shave Stick.
Blade: Ninja Stainless. (D2)
Razor: Merkur 37C Slant.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. /Cien Aqua + Sensitive ASB.

Greetings,

A wonderful early morning shave to finishing my shaving week off superbly. The Ninja Stainless/Merkur 37c duo has been very smooth and consistent throughout the week.

Slant razors have a reputation of been dangerously aggressive , and "not for beginners", both the 37C & 39C like it's bigger sibling are very efficient razors which can mow down a heavy beard with no mercy, and probably won't be suited to everyone's taste's... but to be honest, IMHO both razors are no more dangerous than any other efficient DE razor that I have in my humble collection.

The Merkur 37C 39C & Parker 55SL semi-slant i consider all to be comfortably efficient mild feeling razors and don't require any special angle or technique, to get a good irritation free smooth shave.

Out of the three the Merkur 39c is the most efficient due to it's hefty handle, and the Parker 55SL the least efficient, but all three razors feel comfortable to use and deliver a close comfortable shave.

They are like any other kind of razor which will bite you if you don't treat them with respect & follow the common sense rules of wet shaving, just like you do with any other razor.

The Lea shave stick is absolutely superb, not just for it's price tag, but most importantly for it's performance & post shave feel.

Since i added the Omega 10066 boar brush it has became a firm favourite. I find it to be a wonderful performer for both bowl & face lathering.

A very comfortable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report. finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Cien Sensitive ASB.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Thu 9
Soap PAA Solstice
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor Wade & Butcher 7/8 Steamship Wedge
Aftershave Clubman Brandy Spice
A very good quality lather from this soap...richly creamy and slick, whip-up pleasurably by the excellent brush. The scent is very pleasant. Successfully refreshed this wedge razor on a diamond balsa. The edge was smooth and crisp...3 enjoyable passes for a bbs-ccs finish...
20230209_124017.jpg

SOTD 20230209.
wCmiaxu.jpg

3P "La Crema Prodigio" pre-shave cream.
M Keramiek / APShaveCo SilkSmoke.
TDS "Cream: notes of native lilac" shaving soap.
Vintage Gillette Old Type / Stork Ti "AN14" handle.
Rapira Swedish SuperSteel (1).
Pinaud "Lilac Vegetal" ASL.

Back
Top Bottom