SOTD: Saturday January 21 - Friday 27 January 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD 27-Jan
20230126_114627.jpg
Brush: DG B15
Soap: SH Sandalwood
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Schick TC SS

Amazing shave this morning, haven't tried these Schicks in the Blackbird, but it is bloody good. Very smooth, possibly even more so than my GSBs, I'm not going to break and buy a ton of them though...I've already got my caveats registered!

This is definitely my favourite Sir Henry scent out of the ones I picked up, a pleasure to use and the scent is excellent. I'd almost describe it as moreish which is weird, don't worry I'm not eating it.

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

SOTD: 27/01/2023

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Open Comb Slant
Blade: Gillette Platinum, 1st use
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3 Sovereign Grade
Bowl: Captains Choice Heavyweight Copper Bowl
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra Denventio Croap
Aftershave: Southern Witchcrafts Valley Of The Ashes Aftershave

Fatip Friday.

An fantastic shave to end the week. As someone on here once said the Fatip can be a bitey little bugger. But pairing it with a decent blade and a truly excellent soap makes it usable. Too much for a daily driver for me Skin but great for occasional use.

E07EA568-5FE5-4A93-AC38-184DE19F2299.jpeg

27/01/23
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Razorock 400 Plissoft Synth
Soap - OSP Old Gold
Razor - Yaqi Katana V1 SE in Space Chrome
Blade - Personna Med Prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Proraso Red
A/S - Old Spice Original
Wk 04 (7).JPG
The Katana regularly makes it way on to the "Maybe" list when i am looking at what razors to move on only to be taken off each time i use it. It is a crackin little razor. I use an angle very similar to using and injector razor for best results YMMV of course.
The Pic is wrong as i was in auto pilot this morning after an early Gym session, therefore, the Katana was fitted with a new Permasharp half-blade instead of the planned Half a Med Prep. Doh!
Not to worry though, a sublime shave was had.
A great lather from the RR4 Plissoft and OSP soap, this brush will lather up any soap. No soaking, i dip the brush to about 10mm then shake off, load up and then off you go, so easy.
A nice post shave leaving me clean, fresh and very happy.
2 passes leaving me with a very comfortable BBS finish
Friday is leg day:eek:
Bambi.gif
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Friday 27th January

As mentioned yesterday following my purrrfect Rex Ambassador shave I pulled out the DLC-Yaqi Final Cut, homage to the Gibbs 15. It was one of my earliest modern purchases shortly after starting to wet shave after many years of cartridge shaves.
It was also cheap, and purported to be adjustable.
The Amici soap is creamy, has no scent or body and fades quickly on the face, it may be quite old so soon to be binned I suspect.
Semogue 1305 is still shedding green paint and felt bit “rough as a badgers arse“, ok but not really a favourite of mine sorry to say.
I had problems before dialling in an acceptable setting on the Yaqi TFC so started on 1. Fitted a new RK stainless blade and got to work.

I completed a close shave on setting 1 in two passes wtg, atg, plus pick ups. Now, you may ask why I’m not really impressed, well, it’s supposed to be adjustable and yes you can turn the adjuster wheel, in my case up to level 9, because it goes on 3 notches past 6. Let’s just say at level 1 it’s mild/aggressive but on levels above this (and I wouldn’t go near 9) it could probably strip bark off an old oak tree with ease. You get what you pay for, in reality a non adjustable DE razor which looks nice and shiny but doesn’t do what it says on the box. Of course it’s cheap, mass made and the QC a bit iffy and maybe I got a Friday afternoon batch, so I’m maybe just unlucky with this one, but still an all.

So the shave result was 4/5 but the shave overall experience 1/5. I’m pleased I tried it again though, it helps to re-establish the pecking order for my “go to“ razor usage.
POETS day fellas, enjoy!!

901E2552-ECE5-484C-9C25-0BC2050E718D.jpeg

Friday 27th January

As mentioned yesterday following my purrrfect Rex Ambassador shave I pulled out the DLC-Yaqi Final Cut, homage to the Gibbs 15. It was one of my earliest modern purchases shortly after starting to wet shave after many years of cartridge shaves.
It was also cheap, and purported to be adjustable.
The Amici soap is creamy, has no scent or body and fades quickly on the face, it may be quite old so soon to be binned I suspect.
Semogue 1305 is still shedding green paint and felt bit “rough as a badgers arse“, ok but not really a favourite of mine sorry to say.
I had problems before dialling in an acceptable setting on the Yaqi TFC so started on 1. Fitted a new RK stainless blade and got to work.

I completed a close shave on setting 1 in two passes wtg, atg, plus pick ups. Now, you may ask why I’m not really impressed, well, it’s supposed to be adjustable and yes you can turn the adjuster wheel, in my case up to level 9, because it goes on 3 notches past 6. Let’s just say at level 1 it’s mild/aggressive but on levels above this (and I wouldn’t go near 9) it could probably strip bark off an old oak tree with ease. You get what you pay for, in reality a non adjustable DE razor which looks nice and shiny but doesn’t do what it says on the box. Of course it’s cheap, mass made and the QC a bit iffy and maybe I got a Friday afternoon batch, so I’m maybe just unlucky with this one, but still an all.

So the shave result was 4/5 but the shave overall experience 1/5. I’m pleased I tried it again though, it helps to re-establish the pecking order for my “go to“ razor usage.
POETS day fellas, enjoy!!

View attachment 99589
Thanks for your opinion on the Yaqi, @ekeko
I had been tempted by one, as the idea of a modern adjustable DE appealed, and this one has a nice aesthetic I think. I am not sure I'd try it even at a low price; the adjustment shouldn't go past its designated maximum!
Maybe if one ended up in a passaround or was lent to me one-to-one I'd give it a go.
Thanks for getting that monkey off my back and saving me a few bob.

What are the good and bad points of the Rex Ambassador?

SOTD 20230127.
E9lfyDJ.jpg

Noxzema "Classic" pre-shave cream.
J&T® ebony / OUMO Brush SHD G5 SYN knot.
Noxzema "Cocoa Butter" shaving cream.
Vintage Souplex / Stork Ti "Classic" handle.
Rapira Platinum Lux (2).
Noxzema "Classic" ASB.

IMG_2568.jpg

Sometimes you don't quite realise how long it's been since you last had a shave and then - BAM - suddenly, you desperately need one. So it was this morning when I woke up and felt very grubby.

Given the grubbiness, I felt I had to reach for my R41 on the tortoise shell handle and noticed I had a used Feather blade ready to go.

This combination requires care; you’re matching a very fierce razor with a very sharp blade. Sure enough, several micro nicks and one proper nick ensued, despite being cautious. However, the efficiency and closeness of an R41 shave is well worth the barely mentionable discomfort of a nick. Nonetheless, I did feel the need for some Castle Forbes Lime balm to calm things afterwards. :)

Razor: Mühle R103
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: Castle Forbes Lime
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Butterscotch Boar
Pre-shave: Proraso White
Post-shave: Castle Forbes Lime
Bowl: Scuttle

Fri 27
Soap & Aftershave Yaqi PinaColada Chillers
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Thiers Issard 69 Frameback
Just an awesomely rich creamy, and slick lather from this soap which is also frigid & matched with the splash...it's numbingly cold, like being on local anesthesia, and smells good...
Another superb shave with this frameback. Smooth and crisp diamond balsa edge after stroping on the roo leather, not as buttery-smooth after the Kanayama.... 3 passes for a bbs-ccs finish...
20230127_215502.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom