SOTD: Saturday January 21 - Friday 27 January 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Garethtoogood - You're looking at >€300 for a titanium Tatara but there's normally some good discounts around Black Friday. The stainless steel version is also very good and can be had for half the cost of titanium.

Wow that's serious money!

Indeed it is, but as pointed out and as I summarised, the stainless version does exactly the same (and I do prefer the weight) for a fraction of the cost and yet remains as tactile and intuitive. It is the design which does it for me irrelevant of the material. Saying that, if there was an aluminium version I would hate it.

SOTD 20230126.
S2pgE5c.jpg

3P "La Crema Prodigio" pre-shave cream (pre-).
J&T®black walnut / APShaveCo STF.
T.O.B.S. "Mr Taylor's" shaving cream.
ATT S2 / Stork "Taipan" handle.
Rapira Platinum Lux (1).
3P "La Crema Prodigio" pre-shave cream (after-).
Loris "E-12" EdP (== Armani Attitude).

Thursday 26 January

There have been a number of web shave offs involving Gibbs 15 (real deal and homage), DLC-Yaqi clone and Rex Ambassador.
I’ve got the 15 homage which delivers a really good shave and is well made and great value for a modern adjustable, haven’t used an original 15 and found the Yaqi rough and really difficult to dial in an comfortable blade gap ( mine starts at 1 and can be wound past 6 up to 3, so is 9? :unsure:.
Today though I brought the Rex into play, fitted with the RK stainless (5x) natch. Swirled the Zenith around the Tabac soap (which I had not used for months and was worried that it was past it’s use by date) and whipped up a really creamy and soft lather with the distinctive Tabac smell. Clearly “use by“ date here is a pretty long way out. I started with setting 4 wtg, then back to 2 atg and finally 1 for pick ups and polish. Result, perfect bbs, on with the Man Cave moisturise, plashed the il Stormo and if I smoked it would be the Hamlet cigar moment.
I will give the 15 homage and YAQI another go in the next few days.
Have an excellent day fellas!

CE40DB6E-5920-44F1-8D14-057FE4E14094.jpeg

PXL_20230126_153936056.jpg
Well, well, well! My first go with the Popular No. 47 which I received today and the Hampshire Wool Fat!

I like the smell of the soap - patchouli essential oils with an earthy, mossy edge - and it lathers superbly with great cushion.

I paired the razor with a 1960s Gillette Platinum and had a great shave. The blade sliced through stubble as if it wasn't there, and a great match for the razor. I was expecting it to be quite aggressive but it wasn't at all, nor was it too mild. The only draw back was a few weepers, probably because it was so easy to glide around my face.

I'm going to be enjoying this razor and this soap over many more shaves to come!

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Popular No. 47
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1960s)
Brush: Unknown black resin synthetic(?) brush
Lather: Hampshire Wool Fat No. 1
Aftershave: Cella Lozione Dopobarba https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63d2a74a9b59604655a6d76c

Razor = Karve CB Aluminium ( C )
Blade = Personna Platinum ( 3 )
Brush = Simpsons T3
Soap = Dr Harris Lavender Stick
Splash = Nivea 2 Phase
Balm = Australian Body Care
A6E11DE9-DD89-41B0-9F94-29486EAC2CE3.jpegWell another brilliant early morning shave for me.
i pretty much hate shaving after work but not much choice at the moment.
Quite uninspiring products but a superb shave nonetheless.
The soap was first class & produced a wonderful lather & the scent & scent strength were spot on.
I really must start using my sticks when i get back home. i have enough of them.
I really do t know why i do t use them enough
probably because i feel them fairly dull but in reality the performance of most iv used so far have been first class.
Not much time to myself at the minute so everything is just a bit of a rush.
Take Care
Mike

Thursday 26th January

AMWts8CRoIylsEowIyYXcKCv8tnYTYbXnYvNWwlR46HT8r51hOCg7ZAAsbXXuJjWgOdn7wUR-W3OOiTOUOakmNtVnCAuat44qdKGG9TYGEGvr_skMSVYV2fNJAoIW2nTFSQVNcGsRSf_Zd9Yv1vcGRIKqtrUJQ=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Omega Crema da Barba Shaving Soap & HJM Professional w/G5B Synthetic 26mm
Muhle Rocca Gold & SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum
Puig Quorum Aftershave

Having very much enjoyed my first run through of the Statum Platinum Chrome blade, I commented that I thought it might surpass even the mighty SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum and off the first shave to compare, I'd say so ... sharpness and smoothness. Tomorrow the Blue Diamond will be on its proverbially better second shave and I think that will tell the full story.

They're very close but it's also about the je ne sait quoi and given the choice I'd rather drop a fresh Statum into tomorrow's razor over continuing with the SuperMax. I like that Statum a lot!

26/01/2023

Razor: Aylsworth Drakkant
Blade: Gillette London Bridge (4)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Soap: 3P

20230126_195452.jpg

Another comfortable shave with the Drakkant. This is certainly a mild razor in 'Standard' plate form. I had the shallow angle nailed for this shave and it went about the business of hair removal with ease. The finish is visually acceptable but it doesn't pass the faceturbation test.

Grip was absolutely fine today. Paid no particular attention to it and had no issues.

I'll give the plus plate a go next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom