SOTD: Saturday March 4 - Friday 10 March 2023.

Shave 5 with the Spoiler and this blade works really well with the Popular. It feels less scrapey than in the Stahly head and seems to make the angle of attack intuitively just right.

The Sandalwood aftershave lotion from M&S was a charity shop purchase yesterday. To me it smells nothing like sandalwood but is pleasant enough.

From tomorrow I'll be trying out the kind PIF from Satan Friendly

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Popular No. 45 (1939/40)
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless "the Spoiler"
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Lather: 3P
Aftershave: M&S Harvard Sandalwood https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/64049865d581142156d56ede

SOTD, Sunday 05 March 2023

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Carbon Theory Charcoal and Tea Tree Oil Cleansing Bar, followed by cold water splash.
Cream: Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes Shaving.
Brush: Blackland Signature (Synthetic).
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Lite.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (day 4).
Post: Cold water splash, Swiss Pitralon and Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes aftershave balm.
EDC: Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes.

l lovely 2 pass shave - DFS finish - a bit rushed for time, so did not return for a third pass.

As much as I love the Blackland lite it does require some concentration to keep the right angle - I find that it has a narrow sweet spot for getting an efficient shave. A shout out to the Swiss Pitralon; sadly, now finished. Not sure when or if I can stock up on this again, as there does not appear to be any UK stockists.

All the best,

Chris

5/3/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - Derby Stick
Brush - Shed Eleven/Boti N3C 27mm
Razor - Gillette FB New/Ball End Handle
Blade - Gillette Winner Platinum (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Wars Protect

IMG_20230305_164050.jpg

A few lathers with the brush and I'm getting more familiar with it. The knot is an interesting one for a synth, it's water retention is like a boar brush in some ways, and this is where the brush shines. Today's lather with the Derby stick was exceptional, the best one with this soap by quite some margin. Hydrated to the point it was close to falling off my face, but with a good amount of cushion nonetheless.

Now onto the shave.

I've been using my Open Comb Gillettes quite a lot. I've found the Old Type is the most mild and works with blades on the sharper side of things (Eg Nacet) and the RFB New is reasonably efficient and works well with blades on the smoother side of things (eg Astra SP). The FB New seems to be in the middle of both of those razors and it seems to become my razor of choice for trying out blades sharper than an Astra SP.

I'd not used an Gillette Winner Platinum for a while so I'd forgotten how it performed. It's sharper than an Astra SP for sure, but very smooth nonetheless. The first pass seemed to mow down a lot, but the second pass is the smoothest and most comfortable pass I'd had for a while. My face was incredibly smooth when I put on the splash and there wasn't much post shave alcohol burn, sometimes a sign the blade was a good one.

An absolutely cracking shave from the start to the finish.

Anyway gents, I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

iKW1xfw.jpg

05/03/23
Pre - Shower
Brush - Alpha Outlaw Titanium V1 Synth
Soap - Signature Soap Coria
Razor - Pearl Blaze
Blade - 7 o' Clock Yellow
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 Rose
View attachment 101781
The Signature soaps performed brilliantly today, easily as good as the MDC samples i have tried, the Coria has a more Complex scent than the stand alone MDC Rose scent. Both great performers and both great scents.
The Indian Sharpedge in the Brilliant Indian Blaze were a great combination today, 3 very comfortable passes for an easy BBS finish.
I picked up both the 4711 Rose and Jasmine the other week to go with my Original and vintage versions and for all they are really nice scents on application they do not have a lot of longevity - Who'd have thought this Hairy Ar**d Welder would be putting Rose scented splash on his face? I would have been laughed out of the yard 40 year ago.
Anyhow - a great shave.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
Greatly appreciated Tony. My next batch will mow have be approx £40 based on MDC price per gram Best Regards Brian

Sunday 5th March

AMWts8Ao55oCYI-FNs9woSCigQGbThz6dWmuqpeT3j9M9EdKVCJtF4kBxkVUADyXTVF3BEfybOQcJzQtRLg4Owd653-zTE-JZrOMQrmgcm6dl5Ss-Iy2iiJ_oQYmPpUF8S8WaQJvvCR0h3cC0lZBcc5PrC9IJw=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Tabac (Tallow) Shaving Bowl & Semogue SOC Butterscotch Pure Bristle 24mm
Wilkinson Sword Sticky & Bolzano SuperInox (2)
Tabac Cologne (as Aftershave)

Running the new veg-formula Tabac (yesterday) against the tallow-formula (today) ...

For me, my preference is the tallow formula but largely because I prefer older formula soaps and have a damn good stack of vintage to ensure that I can shave with that preference for many years to come. All manner of vintage, not (just) Tabac. The veg-formula is very much like Vitos Supercrema and has that almost glowing white super-glossy look to the lather, which can be made thick and over-paintable. The tallow formula produces yogurty thick with the right effort. Scent? Very little in it. I know folks say the veg-formula is weaker, but in use ... it's neglible.

I said it yesterday, if I was new to Tabac I'd be absolutely happy with the new formula. As someone who has used Tabac bafore, if I had no idea that the formula had changed I think I'd notice ... but I probably wouldn't think any more about it. Unless you're pitting them back to back, each soap produces a well scented, thick and over-paintable lather. Sound. Both of them.

Times change. Things move on ... in this case, not for the worse.

Sunday 5th March

AMWts8Ao55oCYI-FNs9woSCigQGbThz6dWmuqpeT3j9M9EdKVCJtF4kBxkVUADyXTVF3BEfybOQcJzQtRLg4Owd653-zTE-JZrOMQrmgcm6dl5Ss-Iy2iiJ_oQYmPpUF8S8WaQJvvCR0h3cC0lZBcc5PrC9IJw=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Tabac (Tallow) Shaving Bowl & Semogue SOC Butterscotch Pure Bristle 24mm
Wilkinson Sword Sticky & Bolzano SuperInox (2)
Tabac Cologne (as Aftershave)

Running the new veg-formula Tabac (yesterday) against the tallow-formula (today) ...

For me, my preference is the tallow formula but largely because I prefer older formula soaps and have a damn good stack of vintage to ensure that I can shave with that preference for many years to come. All manner of vintage, not (just) Tabac. The veg-formula is very much like Vitos Supercrema and has that almost glowing white super-glossy look to the lather, which can be made thick and over-paintable. The tallow formula produces yogurty thick with the right effort. Scent? Very little in it. I know folks say the veg-formula is weaker, but in use ... it's neglible.

I said it yesterday, if I was new to Tabac I'd be absolutely happy with the new formula. As someone who has used Tabac bafore, if I had no idea that the formula had changed I think I'd notice ... but I probably wouldn't think any more about it. Unless you're pitting them back to back, each soap produces a well scented, thick and over-paintable lather. Sound. Both of them.

Times change. Things move on ... in this case, not for the worse.

Sounds like a good one. I may pick up a stick from Connaught at some point.

9854B061-9B03-4263-AFBE-6A77F2FA1A9D.jpeg
SOTD: 05/03/2023

Razor: Wolfman Guerrilla
Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use
Brush: Highlander Chubby Style Boti Fan Knot Synthetic
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C Unscented Puck
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm
Scent Oil: HC&C Emperor Oud
Fragrance: Maison Alhambra Woody Oud EdP

Another super smooth shave, the balance is excellent and it really is an autopilot razor but not in a soulless way, more in a satisfying that was unexpectedly good way! I tried my best to play with my angle of attack so to speak, to try and eke out a tad more efficiency in each pass but to no avail. That’s not to say it’s bad but I’m definitely left with growth this evening a lot earlier than with some of my other razors. I’m going to use a feather blade tomorrow for no other reason than it seems to be just on the edge of a very, very good daily shaver especially if I can get a little more efficiency from it. Just a great razor for an easy relaxed Sunday shave.

Back
Top Bottom