Suggestions for the June Raffle

You have spotted the problem, Rob! We're not all in an actual room and able to walk to the prize table.

May I take it that we have chosen Uncle Bertie's razors as the June prizes? Kinda seems that way without us having said so.

would this not be better as 5 individual raffles over the upcoming months? I'm pretty sure there would be enough interest as they are wonderful razors. Plus, 1 prize per month would be easier to organise and there would be a larger pot for TSR.

Good thinking, Flip - except Uncle Bertie wants to sell and I can't buy until the raffle money is all in. I have struck a deal for all five razors at the end of June.

Anyway, it's a raffle and you just may win the prize you want and not need extra choices. Nowt wrong with coming to a private arrangement with another person if he happens to win the razor you want.

Note to the winner of the slant if it's not me - I'd like to buy it, please - and I know how much you paid!

This is NOT the June raffle - just a wording test.

Two questions about the following - can you understand what I have written? and do you think it would be a good way to run the raffle?

Quote -
We are going to use the National Lottery to choose our winners again. The Bonus Ball will give us our winning number while 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th prizes will be given by the corresponding balls as they are drawn (not after being sorted numerically).
So the prize list looks like this –
1st Prize Bonus Ball Cased Gillette Aristocrat replated by Hippo
2nd Prize Second ball drawn Wilkinson Sword Sticky in mint condition with case and
original blades.
3rd Prize Third ball drawn Unused 1930s German Solingen style slant in original case
and vintage blades.
4th Prize Fourth ball drawn 1954 Gold Plated Tech from Pan Am Exclusive Presidents
Suite in brass case and remains of the shipper - used twice.
5th Prize Fifth ball drawn NOS 1984 Super Adjustable cased and with cardboard
shipper

This means we are not using the first ball drawn to determine a prize, but we'll use it to decide whether ‘Odds' or ‘Evens' are the winners – read on.

Because of the total value of the prizes, forty-nine tickets would have to cost £7.00 each whereas twice that number of tickets would halve the cost. I think £7 may exclude some members and £3.50 would not, so – we'll have numbers 1 to 49 Odds and 1 to 49 Evens. The first ball drawn will determine from which set of tickets the prizes will be won. Yes – half the tickets will be losers on the first ball drawn, just like roulette on red or black.

Now, in this raffle, each member can buy four tickets from the get go. If you wanted numbers 7 and 49, you could buy 7 Odd, 7 Even, 49 Odd and 49 Even, thus making this raffle work exactly like any other, at £7 a whole number. You could buy four tickets scattered at will over Odds and Evens and potentially make my life hell for a while. You could buy a single ticket, be in with a chance to win but at a reasonable, inclusive cost of £3.50.
-Unquote

Just to clarify, I may be being stupid. I have just woken up ha.

Lets say the first ball drawn is 9, then the rest of the numbers are considered odd and from those the winners will be chosen.

If thats the case then that sounds good to me. Up for that. I want that slant :)

I liked the tombola style suggestion. I'd just pick what I liked (in this and any future similar situation). I'd not pick a razor i didnt like just because it was more expensive with a view to resell.
I just want a shave with a new shiny :)

We are definitely on it, flip - or, more accurately put, we will raffle a Mongoose when they become available on demand. I have to have thhe money collected before I can buy.

Back
Top Bottom