Vetiver....Guerlains and/or Encre Noir

Stan my point of view is being with a woman you love and who loves you is such an unusual thing to find these days that scents shouldn't even be worth considering. One man's relationship is another's oddity, carry on get a few more trays and enjoy life.... I've not even had a whisky yet :)

Then have a whisky...you might see things in a new (eclipsed) light :)

How is the Guerlains gonna compare? I was expecting all sorts of strangeness with the Encre...but it's just plain nice....not the usual stuff I smell in the bright glass cabinets, but nice....I can't do the descriptives as well as you, Nish.

:) I shall be soon!

Guerlian, well if Encre is a big noisy Corvette, Guerlian Ideal is a Bentley, that's the same top speed if not better (longevity, perhaps slightly less if anything) but more refined. It doesn't smack you in the face with a smokey vetiver note, its more a green calm vetiver that has a peppery warming tone from the off. IMO this is a more complex scent (Guerlian) which develops subtly over time. With Encre you will notice the bonfire turn to honey. Guerlian is like burning rich cedar wood so lesa smoke and more refined clean vetiver and warm cedar woody notes. Each time you sniff it you will think hmm blossom, no vanilla, no rosemary, no amber when really its all these but the bouquet is so well rounded that they mix superbly with the green vetiver base without assaulting the nostrils.

Hey Vinny will come along and describe it perfectly; better than I could in a few words.

Its certainly one of my favourites. A very understated scent.

encre noir is quite an oddity for me. i love it but is is nothing like any of the regular faves of mine ( tabac,pacorabanne pour homme,jovan musk etc) and to be honest, if i had tried it in a shop i probably would have swerved it. i bought it blind as it was getting a lot of love on here and it has really grown on me. it lasts and lasts but the scent changes as the day goes on. wonderful stuff!

fly3k said:
I want to try encre noir but I wasn't a fan of the guerlain. Are the similar? When I tried the guerlain my wife kept asking if there was a Bon fire outside.

Others here are far better qualified and more able offer a description, but if you hang on for a few days until the Guerlain arrives I'll be able to offer a very limited and basic view.....or if you send me a PM with your address I've got an empty tiny sample vial and I'll post some Encre Noire to you.

When the Guerlain arrives I'll be able to say if the Guerlain has the bonfire effect but I'd say with some confidence the Encre Noire, once it's been on a short time, is definitely not that way inclined FOR ME...I'm very fond of it, although not long lasting ON ME...but remember very few ARE long lasting on me. Probably best not to go for the Czech and Speake Cuba though coz I would imagine your Mrs might well pick up the dogs mess (or Fecal note, as they say), if, as you say, she picks up bonfire easily. I absolutely love the Cuba but balk at spending £80 on it.

I had a C&S sample pack. I quite liked the Cuba at first but after a few wears I began to smell that Fecal note. Can't bring myself to wear it now. Maybe you'll start smelling it after a few tries. The £80 price tag puts me off too.

fly3k said:
I want to try encre noir but I wasn't a fan of the guerlain. Are the similar? When I tried the guerlain my wife kept asking if there was a Bon fire outside.
Are we talking guerlian vetiver or ideal?

Back
Top Bottom