Closed Village Barber Oil & Balm

Hi Folks
Sorry about the delay with this but illness has prevented me getting this to the post office. This will be posted to Helveticum on Saturday.

wellboy said:
Hi Folks
Sorry about the delay with this but illness has prevented me getting this to the post office. This will be posted to Helveticum on Saturday.

Hope you're feeling better man. How did you find the oil and balm?

On a side note - noticed your gaidhlig signature.

A bheil thu fileanta?

Ok, I'm certainly impressed by the shaving oil - it's the first one that worked for me in such capacity. Tried king of shaves, CREW and AoS before, plus a couple of others I can't remember. All were crap, but I actually managed to get a very quick DFS with this one. Not BBS though, not sure I'd go that far.
Downside - as with any oil, it leaves a lot of mess, expect to spend some time with a detergent and a toothbrush cleaning your razor and sink.
Aftershave balm is alright, will have to use it some more for an adequate review. Ingredients are certainly top notch though!

I've just tried a shave with the Village Barber products I purchased - I thought this would be a reasonable place in which to give my thoughts.

I found the oil a bit thicker and "gloopier" than expected, though the benefit of this was cushion on a par with good lather. I felt the oil lacked the glide I usually get from lather, but, other than going XTG/ATG on an area without having already gone XTG the other direction, which did cause a bit of tugging and blade skip, it was certainly decent enough. 2 passes got me close enough for a presentable shave; I don't think I'd want to go fully ATG with the oil, but the whole point for me was to find an alternative to an electric shaver for those days when I need a quick option that gets me presentable. Not being able to rinse all the oil off my face at the end (before applying balm) was disconcerting but hasn't caused any problems.

As for the balm, it's thicker and denser than my normal Nivea Sensitive. As with the oil, it's very nicely-scented, and goes on well. It has left my face feeling a touch oily, but there's no irritation or discomfort at all, and my skin feels very supple and hydrated. I suspect it will be good for days in weather like we have at present when I'm out and about in the cold wind more than I am now - I prefer an AS splash during warmer weather as my skin tends towards being a touch oily anyway.

I'm going to be trying the products again with tweaks to my usual lather technique and a different razor/blade combination. As I suspected, an EJ DE89l gets a bit difficult to hold onto with oily hands! Certainly an encouraging experiment.

I generally take quite a while rubbing the oil into my skin, like Iain does here. I find it definitely thins out with the heat generated by doing this.

I agree about the ATG with oil alone, I found it a bit tuggy. But considering it had lasted me 2 full passes on oil alone I'm not surprised.

While I do use it "neat" when I'm in a rush, I tend to normally use it under my lather, kind of like a pre-shave oil. This combo works well for me.

mulligano said:
I generally take quite a while rubbing the oil into my skin, like Iain does here. I find it definitely thins out with the heat generated by doing this.

I agree about the ATG with oil alone, I found it a bit tuggy. But considering it had lasted me 2 full passes on oil alone I'm not surprised.

While I do use it "neat" when I'm in a rush, I tend to normally use it under my lather, kind of like a pre-shave oil. This combo works well for me.

Thanks Michael! Wet my skin more thoroughly and massage for longer to warm the oil up next time.

Afternoon chaps.
Haven't checked in on the thread for a bit. Hope everyone is enjoying. Hot oil. To avoid any glooping, can't say I've noticed though mind, I fill my sink with hot water, and let the oil float about in its bottle in the sink, while I shower. So maybe that thins it, I'm not sure, but I like the feeling of hot oil on my face (I know how bad that sounds).

Perished said:
Afternoon chaps.
Haven't checked in on the thread for a bit. Hope everyone is enjoying. Hot oil. To avoid any glooping, can't say I've noticed though mind, I fill my sink with hot water, and let the oil float about in its bottle in the sink, while I shower. So maybe that thins it, I'm not sure, but I like the feeling of hot oil on my face (I know how bad that sounds).

That may well be the answer.

Using oil. I just received some AOS PreShave oil. This week. I'm a little confused as to the preshave prep. Do you still wash well with warm water and soap and use a hot towel before the oil? Or do you just dampen your face with warm water, apply the oil and then the lather?
2nd do you reapply the oil after each pass before relathering?

Back
Top Bottom