Closed Village Barber Oil & Balm

Perished said:
Afternoon chaps.
Haven't checked in on the thread for a bit. Hope everyone is enjoying. Hot oil. To avoid any glooping, can't say I've noticed though mind, I fill my sink with hot water, and let the oil float about in its bottle in the sink, while I shower. So maybe that thins it, I'm not sure, but I like the feeling of hot oil on my face (I know how bad that sounds).

Given your avatar I'm really not surprised:icon_razz:

Think I might be ordering one of each shortly

Not being able to rinse all the oil off my face at the end (before applying balm) was disconcerting but hasn't caused any problems.
quote]

Chris, VB 100% Natural Shaving Oil uses only top quality, 'therapeutic-grade' oils - why on earth would you want to "rinse all the oil off" your face at the end?? Rather than rinse it off, simply allow it to sink into your skin where it will nourish and protect it after the shave.

Village Barber UK said:
Not being able to rinse all the oil off my face at the end (before applying balm) was disconcerting but hasn't caused any problems.
quote]

Chris, VB 100% Natural Shaving Oil uses only top quality, 'therapeutic-grade' oils - why on earth would you want to "rinse all the oil off" your face at the end?? Rather than rinse it off, simply allow it to sink into your skin where it will nourish and protect it after the shave.

That was my conclusion, Iain - having DE shaved with brush and soap or cream for 2 1/2 years and with canned foam and cartridge for 13 years previously, I'm used to the idea of removing all the shaving product at the end. I've got the idea now.:icon_razz::angel:

I've noticed a few of you mention the "scent" of the oil and balm, can anyone give me an idea as to what the scent is, or what other product it is similar too.

Thanks.

Dobbo25 said:
I've noticed a few of you mention the "scent" of the oil and balm, can anyone give me an idea as to what the scent is, or what other product it is similar too.

Thanks.

It's complex - dry florals (lavender predominantly), eucalyptus, herbal, slightly medicinal. If you go to Iains website he lists the oils used, which gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

RockShaving said:
I'd say the predominant scent is of almond oil, slightly reminiscent of Cella but with an added twist due to all the other excellent ingredients Iain puts into his product.

Thanks Chris/Rockshaving

It's a shame about the scent being predominantly almond as I was looking forward to giving it a try. It's just that I prefer my balms to be unscented.

I did have a look at the listed ingredients as you suggested Chris. As you mentioned you said it was predominantly Lavender and Rockshaving said predominantly Almond.
Only way to find out is to buy some :) unless this is still going as a PIF.

Go with what they say! If three people are saying it doesn't smell of almond oil then I must be mistaken. I'm away from home at the moment and don't have a bottle to hand and haven't used any in over a week so I may be getting the scent mixed up with another product I've been trying.

What I do remember is I really enjoyed using it!

Having read the list of ingredients of the balm there is almond in it so you're right with that. Different noses detest different scents I'm sure. To me the best I can describe is the smell of sweet moss but then I've only smelt a couple of moss type products. It is a wonderful scent and I'm aware I'll not be doing it justice trying to describe it so I hope Ian isn't cringeing too much!!!

RockShaving said:
Go with what they say! If three people are saying it doesn't smell of almond oil then I must be mistaken. I'm away from home at the moment and don't have a bottle to hand and haven't used any in over a week so I may be getting the scent mixed up with another product I've been trying.

Almond oil doesn't smell of anything. It's just an oil. What gives a scent is an almond EO.

Helveticum said:
RockShaving said:

Almond oil doesn't smell of anything. It's just an oil. What gives a scent is an almond EO.

Indeed, hence why D R Harris almond oil soap has an Eau de Quinine aroma rather than a typical almond or marzipan scent.

Update - I've tried it again, with greater success. I reapplied the oil between my first and second passes which helped improve the glide (second pass was better than first) which indicates I didn't use enough last time. I'm getting-used to the different shaving feel with the oil as opposed to lather; I'm finding I need to move the razor slightly more quickly and rinse more often than I'm used-to, but I'm certainly noticing more glide than last time. I like the fact that I can tidy-up rough patches at the end of the second pass without having to reapply as I would with lather, as long as I keep the area fully wet. I'm also a fan of how my skin feels after allowing the remaining oil to absorb and using the balm.

Back
Top Bottom